packing dirt - homeade roller?

/ packing dirt - homeade roller? #11  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( My nieghbor is putting in sand to use under a clab for his new house. The grading contractor spread the sand with a grader and then ran a loaded 2 axle 2,500 + gallon water tank truck back and forth. He claimed he got about a 96 or 97% compaction rate this way.

)</font>

Joe, A loaded water truck is a great compactor but I have to say, if it was clean sand it fell off the truck at nearly 95 % compaction. Before the "Nuke Gauge" We used to test compaction using a "sand cone" basically using clean silica sand to figure out the volume of a hole.

Mike

/ packing dirt - homeade roller? #12  
My pole barn 24 x 32 has 30 tons of number nine's with dust and after only a couple of months driving my car and my tractor on it, it is already like concrete, and I still have to put in 20 more tons. I put this over clay, rocky soil that was slick, sticky, and soft. Hardened up just fine.

/ packing dirt - homeade roller?
Thanks for the advice. Once things dry out I may rent the packer and get to work. I just drove over the area with my tractor and made ruts about a foot deep. IT is still too wet.

/ packing dirt - homeade roller? #14  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( if it was clean sand it fell off the truck at nearly 95 % compaction)</font>

Except that depending on how it was dug.. you can have up to 33% ( usually lower anround 20% ) 'fluff' when dumping out and spreading.. also depending on how much you blade it.. and the moisture content.. etc.

Soundguy

/ packing dirt - homeade roller? #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="red">( if it was clean sand it fell off the truck at nearly 95 % compaction)</font>

<font color="blue"> Except that depending on how it was dug.. </font> )</font>

I don't understand what you mean here?

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> you can have up to 33% ( usually lower anround 20% ) 'fluff' when dumping out and spreading.. also depending on how much you blade it.. and the moisture content.. etc. </font> )</font>

Absolutely, I completely forgot about moisture content. I should have specified clean, dry, well rounded, well sorted, silica sand.

Mike