packing on the farm

/ packing on the farm #1  

jimg

Veteran Member
There have been a number of threads about carrying firearm(s) on the farm but not much on the practical details. To me wearing a holster just doesnt work much of the time. All the extra maintenance from dirt and sweat makes it problematic at best. The last thing I want to do at the end of a long day is clean a weapon & holster. Also a belt holster seems to be in the way more than not. Not sure a leg holster would work any better. Then theres the issue of discretion, not always do I want it visible. In some cases a long gun might work if I can figure out where to mount it out of the way (on the tractor) but still have it accessible. OTOH if Im away from the tractor Im also away from the weapon.

I guess its the wide range of use thats getting me. Sometimes Im doing field work, sometimes passing cash w/ a customer, sometimes working on my machines, sometimes cruising my land, sometimes walking/riding between farms etc.

I'd like to hear what you're doing and how you decided on a particular method...and how its working out.

/ packing on the farm #2  
If I carried around on the farm, and the few times that I have, I think it is probablyl more important to pick a particular weapon to carry. When I tote one around, it is a simple, beat up single action revolver, with the hammer resting on an empty cylinder (load 1, skip 1, load 4 more). I usually toss it in the toolbox. Please note, this a $100 gun. However, it is safe to shoot and reasonably accurate. I would not carry a nicer weapon in this way. Your firepower is also limited to 5 rounds, but after all, you're at home. Not saying something worse couldn't happen, but where do you draw the line (i.e. hi-capacity .45, extra clips, back-up gun, etc.)

A lot just depends on your intention of using (varmints and snakes, you will likely not need more than 5 shots). If it comes to personnel defense, that is a different ball of wax.

That's just what I do. Good luck.

/ packing on the farm #3  
I frequently carry on the farm. Usually a stainless S&W with a 3" barrel. The holster is a high ride belt model that rides just over my right back pocket. If I don't want anybody to see it, I pull my shirt tail out.

The stainless guns are very corrosion resistant, but the leather holsters take a beating. They should be considered a consumable.

I've also been known to carry a Glock 23 in the same location. The Tenifer finish on them protects from the sweat corrosion. Glocks come with a high ride poly holster that is both good and will not degrade from sweat.

I hope this was helpful.

Jeff

/ packing on the farm #4  
There have been a number of threads about carrying firearm(s) on the farm but not much on the practical details. To me wearing a holster just doesnt work much of the time. All the extra maintenance from dirt and sweat makes it problematic at best. The last thing I want to do at the end of a long day is clean a weapon & holster. Also a belt holster seems to be in the way more than not. Not sure a leg holster would work any better. Then theres the issue of discretion, not always do I want it visible.
In some cases a long gun might work if I can figure out where to mount it out of the way (on the tractor) but still have it accessible.OTOH if Im away from the tractor Im also away from the weapon.

I guess its the wide range of use thats getting me. Sometimes Im doing field work, sometimes passing cash w/ a customer, sometimes working on my machines, sometimes cruising my land, sometimes walking/riding between farms etc.

I'd like to hear what you're doing and how you decided on a particular method...and how its working out.
I'd be afraid somebody would get to the tractor and the gun before i did!
L B

/ packing on the farm #5  
i'm curious about this too.....if it's not convienent, i'm sure i won't do it......

plus, i run home from work, go to the garage right then, etc.....

i think the idea of carrying a gun is great, i know i'd never have it on me when i need it- being for self defense, rabid dog, etc....

/ packing on the farm #6  
plus, i run home from work, go to the garage right then, etc.....

i think the idea of carrying a gun is great, i know i'd never have it on me when i need it- being for self defense, rabid dog, etc....

Well for the run home from work and go to the garage thing, you're in Ohio, where you can now get a concealed carry permit so you can just keep it in your vehicle. Store it in a small safe you can install in the car for those times you can't have it on your person (at work, the post office, etc).

I always have a firearm on my person when outside the home except at work or the post office. I tend to carry a J frame revolver in a pocket holster. Of course a 1911 in an outside the waistband holster is my other option.

I could fit my J frame in the tool compartment on the left fender of my JD 3520 if I didn't want it on my person, that way it's relatively secure since nobody knows it's there, but you still have it nearby just in case.

Of course if I'm going to go check on something that doesn't seem right or what have you, I'll probably still have a sidearm, but also a long arm. In my case, a 16" AR15. IMO it doesn't hurt to be a bit prepared.

In case of varmints while out tractoring, I'm tempted to rig up a way to mount a hard or soft case for a rifle to the back of the ROPS on the tractor, just in case an opportunity for a shot at something like a coyote, etc presents itself.

/ packing on the farm #7  
3rrl has a good pic of the rifle sling he keeps on the FEL loader arm connection point. out of the way, easy to get to both on and off the tractor.

i often wear side slung suspenders. because they attach at my "hindge point" of my waist i find them to do there job, but not get in my way.

side-clip3.jpg

if i were to pick a holster it would be similar.

/ packing on the farm #8  
Just remember all. Concealed carry permits are for CONCEALED WEAPONS. You can carry a weapon on your person OUT IN THE OPEN in most states. You can have a weapon in your car or truck as long as it is out in the open.

and to all of you, I say CARRY. Be well armed. However remember this. If you pull your weapon in self defense, you better make darn sure that you USE IT. Don't just try to bluff your way through a situation.

/ packing on the farm #9  
I keep this in my pocket all the time, whether out working, eating in a restaraunt, in the mall with my wife, etc.

Not a hand cannon, but better than nothing. Wipes down easily and in less than a couple minutes.

Ruger LCP .380

Ruger LCP .380 003.jpg

/ packing on the farm #10  

i was going to suggest something like that in a .22 version. All my "work" pants/shorts are cargo. I could easily carry something like that in a side cargo pocket.