Packing - Tubs or boxes

/ Packing - Tubs or boxes #1  

BrianDT

Silver Member
Wife and I are in the cleaning process and getting rid of items that we have stored but not used. We are looking to pack the rest of the stuff up in plastic tubs or boxes so the store neat and are easy to move. Moving boxes are expensive! So we looked at tubs, also expensive.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

/ Packing - Tubs or boxes #2  
The plastic tubs from Walmart w/lid, you will have for a long time, my wife uses them for Christmas stuff. Other than that , we have gone to the grocers and get them for free if we need just packing boxes. Now days you have to ask the store to keep a few before they get broke down for recycle.

/ Packing - Tubs or boxes #3  
The tubs work great, a good box to get is one that windsheild washerfluid comes in, they are heavy built and perfect size, check with gas stations and parts stores.

Dave

/ Packing - Tubs or boxes #4  
Home Depot frequently sells a good size moving box for much less that a place like U-Haul does. The advantage to tubs is that the clear ones make the contents visible. They also stack better and the hinged tops make opening and closing easier.

May have no bearing on your situation but recently I had a need for emergency storage containers and those lawn bags sold for leaves and yard waste (about 30 cents each new) were just super. Much cheaper than any other method of packing but they don't stack worth a darn.

/ Packing - Tubs or boxes #5  
A lot depends on the storage conditions. Anywhere moisture or mildew is possible, the tubs are the way to go. Cardboard draws dampness if there is any around. Boxes stacked in the corner of a dry basement will mildew in humid air/summer time due to lack of air circulation.

The tubs are more mouse resistant too, which is useful in an outdoor shed setting.

I use the tubs for storing stuff like plumbing and electric leftovers ... I just might need someday.

Of course, the best solution is to get rid of more stuff :laughing:

/ Packing - Tubs or boxes #6  
Clear plastic tubs with snap lids is what we use in our attic. The mice will love anything else you use. Clear lets you see inside and figure out whats in them.

/ Packing - Tubs or boxes #7  
Clear plastic tubs with snap lids is what we use in our attic. The mice will love anything else you use. Clear lets you see inside and figure out whats in them.

Yep. I always get them cheapest at Dollar General / Family Dollar / or Freds.
Tape em shut with duct tape and they are good to go for years.

/ Packing - Tubs or boxes #8  
My thoughts exactly.

/ Packing - Tubs or boxes #9  
As mentioned already, the clear tubs have the advantage of your being able to see inside without removing the lid. The downsides are that they can be costly and the very inexpensive ones from the box stores sometimes don't hold up very well. Certain brands are more prone to cracking or even shattering.

If you visit a larger grocery store and ask the PRODUCE section to save boxes, those tend to be the strongest / heaviest ones you'll be able to grab, especially at a zero cost. And, if you're there picking up your groceries already, you aren't even making a special trip. And, hey... While you're at it, use the boxes to put your basket of groceries in and get the pennies back as if you were using recyclable grocery bags.

:)

/ Packing - Tubs or boxes #10  
Rubbermaid roughneck 18 gallon totes! :thumbsup:

I could be on that show "Burried Alive" or "Hoarders" if it weren't for storage tubs. :laughing:
I have about 135 of them currently. All numbered and all in a database so I can find what's in them. They are pretty durable. When we were buying them they were less than $5.00 on sale. Now you're lucky to find them for $10.00. But I highly recommend them.