Paint And Method

/ Paint And Method #1  

Beezz27

Bronze Member
Tractor
2013 Kioti DK40SE HST, 1975? Ford 3000
What type of paint and what method of painting do you guys use to paint your implements, add on creations, chains, etc....? Not color, that's been tackled in another forum. But what paint for durability, good coverage, and user friendliness? I have never painted with an automotive style paint gun, but have used an industrial electric pump style sprayer for painting barns, garages, and even a few houses. I'm no pro for sure but I'm looking to dress up a few old plows, a bush hog, and a few other implements, as well as painting to match anything I add to my tractor.
Thanks!

/ Paint And Method #3  
99% of the time I slop on TSC paint with a throw away brush and roller. It is an tractor implement and will be scratched & chipped. Repainting or "touching up" is easy and more apt to happen (for me) when a brush job touch up fit's right in with what your painting over.

/ Paint And Method #4  
The best paint to use is machinery and equipment enamel. Tough cheap can be applied brush roller spray gun. Even better usual available in colours like: deere green, cat yellow, ford blue, etc. You can purchase it from automotive and paint suppliers everwhere.

/ Paint And Method #5  
The implement paints works good, but you need to primer first. Every ****** paint job I've seen starts with no primer and ends up sandblasting the whole piece because of it.

/ Paint And Method #6  
I've have good luck with Rustoleum rusty metal primer from Lowe's at about $28 a gallon. Good coverage, good drying time, and easy sanding. I have applied it directly over rust for something that didn't need it but have also used on prepped metal if cleaner finish was desired. All done with old siphon feed spray guns, most all now are gravity feed. Just remember to mix to the right viscosity, apply in thin coats, and not all at once so paint can cure properly.

Attachments

• 100_2645.jpg
    100_2645.jpg
    664.7 KB · Views: 289
  • 100_2650.jpg
    100_2650.jpg
    579.1 KB · Views: 173
   / Paint And Method #7  
I wish the company that made my 2 axel trailer would have primed it like you have done!!

/ Paint And Method #9  
I used to like the stuff TSC carried. The valspar tractor and equipment paint. And even before that the BPS paint was good. The new "majic" brand they carry sucks IMO.

But the valspar can still be had. Much better. And mixed with hardener, I have had excellent results as far as finish and durability.

/ Paint And Method #10  
I use rattle can from TS for touch up, but it does not seem nearly as durable as brush on. I have never primed first. Just degreased,washed and wire brushed any rust.