Painting battery acid corrosion?

/ Painting battery acid corrosion? #11  
TSC sells a product in gallons called STOPS RUST, here's the claim: Converts Rust Into A Durable Coating No Need For Sandblasting Just Spray On Paint After Drying Environmentally Friendly.

I have used it for rusty parts on a metal lathe that I'm refinishing and it works very well. After the rust is neutralized I used NH primer and NH finish paint.

/ Painting battery acid corrosion? #12  
I agree with the others.. Remove rust.. neutralize.. prime, then paint..

Soundguy

jinman said:
If you want to go a little extra on the heavily rusted areas, there is a Loctite product called "Extend" that will neutralize the rust and convert it so it will not come back beneath your new primer and paint. Here are a few pictures of my repair and battery shelf.

When you get the paint finished, you will want to use oem foam or creat something to seal the front area to keep dirt and debris from getting into your radiator. That area relies on the grill to filter out large particles and keep the radiator clean.

/ Painting battery acid corrosion?
Thanks jinman for the pics and advice. I didn't know that was foam on my battery plate since it was corroded into pudding!
There is no rust to us "Extend" on after using a carbide blade scraping tool today, just bare metal. Wire wheel was too slow.
I had to make two trips to the dealer today, the first NH Gray paint was black! I went back and got chasis gray - a match for my axle. Allready sprayed a little of that black on the axle. I'm thinking just good coats of the gray, no primer. Will this be a prob. will the paint fall off?

/ Painting battery acid corrosion? #14  
Tractorganic said:
I'm thinking just good coats of the gray, no primer. Will this be a prob. will the paint fall off?
Why no primer? :confused:

/ Painting battery acid corrosion? #15  
Tractorganic said:
Thanks jinman for the pics and advice. I didn't know that was foam on my battery plate since it was corroded into pudding!
There is no rust to us "Extend" on after using a carbide blade scraping tool today, just bare metal. Wire wheel was too slow.
I had to make two trips to the dealer today, the first NH Gray paint was black! I went back and got chasis gray - a match for my axle. Allready sprayed a little of that black on the axle. I'm thinking just good coats of the gray, no primer. Will this be a prob. will the paint fall off?

While I'm only an amature painter.. I always use primer under paint. It deffinately improves the finish and coverage. Besides.. yuo can get rust control primers too. i use a valspar etching/rust control primer. It has worked well for me on one particularly grungy piece of equipment that i recently painted.

Soundguy

/ Painting battery acid corrosion? #16  
There is a special sand paper plastic wheel I bought not too long ago for my mini grinder. It took rust right of a badly rusted rim or anything metal and leaves blank clean metal. At NAPA I bought some aluminum paint (silver gray) and put a couple of coats on that. That paint will seal totally off after 24 hrs. I mean it seals so good, that if you wanna paint that part after it being fully cured, the new paint wont stick to it and chips off again. I fixed up old rusty towers and tractor rims with that 6 years ago and the paint didn't chip nor the rust surfaced again. A gallon of that paint cost me about 130 cdn$, but man is this stuff ever good. You can paint over the silver gray aluminum pigment paint just fine after 3 hrs of curing time and it will stay, just don't wait 5 hrs or more. Never found anything better that works that good and outperformed regular rust paint by far.

good luck!

The NH mechanic didn't recommend primer and the professional painter who is helping sand and paint the tractor wants to just spray the gray. Maybe he's rushing the job. I'll ask him outright this morning and tell him about all these good suggestions; but I don't want to ---- him off 'cuz he did a fine job on the house and honestly, with my knee and back probs. I don't want to have to be crawling around under the tractor.

/ Painting battery acid corrosion? #18  
In my experience.. painting without primer takes twice as much paint.. that is, you first coat of paint is your primer coat.. then you are needing a second coat to get coverage.

Soundguy

/ Painting battery acid corrosion? #19  
Tractorganic said:
...and the professional painter who is helping sand and paint the tractor wants to just spray the gray.
I just used a can of spray primer and a can of spray black paint I bought at my local Ace hardware store.

Well the painter read the label on the NH chasis gray and it made no mention of requiring primer. He used about 2/3 of the $5.69 can and it looks good. I'll find out how good when the mechanic comes back to remove and install the hydraulic lines and fitings and replace the pipes to the oil cooler. Hydraulic oil is bound to get spilled on the new paint then.
Yes I will pick up some Loctite Extend and do some comparisons on the fork lift attachment and the logging winch.
I was under the tractor today to change the oil. I have a wheeled dolly but getting down onto it and sliding under to that 2" clearance is like a limbo dance from hell. I managed to remove both pan bolts without dropping 'em into the oil and only wrecked my hip. Good thing I had lots of experience working under water in tight places!