Painting Cast Steel

/ Painting Cast Steel #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
The 'Speed Changer' that I have, blew a gear.... long story short, cheaper to buy new one (almost $4K) than replace the parts.
The speed changer hangs onto a bracket so it's mounted to the 540 PTO. Multiplies the output by a factor of 4x so I can power my hydraulically powered 15' mower.

Evidently, it's cast steel. My expectation, not having received it yet, is that it will be naked steel verses painted from Alamo. If this is correct, am I correct thinking the steel SHOULD be protected as it will rust over time.

If that is correct, then it brings me to my question..... what's the best (durability) paint I can use for it. Frankly, I don't care if it's painted purple or pink or other..... just want to try to make it last. Also, I'm presuming it would arrive (if unpainted) with oils from manufacturing, so what's best to prepare it for painting.

Brush? Spray? I can do either but what I do NOT want to do is taking it apart so I could do (what I would actually feel to be) a more intricate/detailed paint job. I'll cover the vent, cover the splines though I don't think they'll matter much over time as it would wear off.

Seven years ago, I took to a friend to fabricate the red bracket to mount unit. He painted the changer yellow so it's the yellow part in the picture that is being replaced. Today, much of that paint is gone and the underlying finish is there.

Bracket 3.JPG

/ Painting Cast Steel #2  
Another opinion thread, sure it will rank at least one large bowl of popcorn...

My opinion is, what ever you have laying around, so long as it's oil based and you clean and prep the surface properly.

/ Painting Cast Steel
Therein lies the rub.... I have nothing laying around so get to start with a clean slate!

/ Painting Cast Steel #4  
The a rattle can of oil based paint in your color of preference and a wire brush to remove any loose scale and some paint thinner and an old clean rag to remove any oil and have fun. I would 'mask' off the input and output parts however.

/ Painting Cast Steel #5  
That heavy of iron will never rust through in your lifetime, unless you're mowing in a salt bog. Your paint will be purely cosmetic.

Rust-Oleum has a line of "Farm and Implement" paint. It is pretty good stuff. I think they have color matches for major brands. John Deere Green, John Deere Yellow, Caterpillar Yellow, etc.

You can get it either in a spray can or brushable. Either will work. You can get a good heavy coat with brushing.

/ Painting Cast Steel #6  
Been pretty happy with RUST-OLEUM rattle cans, of course a lot is in the preparation of surface as to how long paint job will last....

/ Painting Cast Steel #7  
One thing about Rustoleum is, their Kubota Orange paint is an exact match for Kubota Orange 2. The Magic paint isn't and the Rustoleum in my opinion provides better coverage as well.

If you don't have a Kubota it really don't matter other than it is quality paint.

/ Painting Cast Steel #8  
One thing about Rustoleum is, their Kubota Orange paint is an exact match for Kubota Orange 2. The Magic paint isn't and the Rustoleum in my opinion provides better coverage as well.

If you don't have a Kubota it really don't matter other than it is quality paint.
RUST-OLEUM has a red that is so close to a match to my Massey Ferguson that its almost unreal....

/ Painting Cast Steel #9  
You can get rustoleum in any color you want perhaps
maybe glow in the dark also???? :unsure: With the spray
cans and a steady hand you can get a real nice paint
job. They sure have jumped in price since the last time
I purchased some.

Sherwin Williams can sell you any kind of paint you
might want and they can also match any color??

willy

/ Painting Cast Steel #10  
Sherwin Williams can sell you any kind of paint you might want and they can also match any color??

willy
House paint stores one inevitably have the wrong stuff.

You're better off with an auto paint specialty store.

Nonetheless I'd use a rattle can for the above project.