painting implements with cans of spray paint

/ painting implements with cans of spray paint #21  
Sully2 said:
Hmm?? I'll look again then..I sure didnt see any? I saw where it recommended mineral spirits or naptha as thinners...AND brush or roller applications...but I sure didnt see any "spray" info??

Why do you think it didnt want to dry good for you??

Not sure, but I have a theory. (LOOK OUT!)I don't like Naptha as a thinner. (Too "hot") I generally use DuPont reducers tailored to weather conditions. However, the one time I used the TSC bought primer, I was out of my usual choice of reducer. So. I bought a can of Naptha at TSC. I believe it reacted with the paint/primer/thinner in the original finish. The primer dried on the surface, but didn't dry underneath. 10 days later, when I went to wetsand the primer, it scuffed off in chunks. The primer that scuffed off was still soft. (NOT dry) I was NOT a happy camper. Haven't tried it again since. I've gone back to my DuPont primer.

Often times it's all about what you're used to using. Old habits die hard.

Last edited:
   / painting implements with cans of spray paint #22  
I started painting my new-to-me back blade. I burnt about 1/2 a can of primer on half the impliment. I should be able to finish the entire frame (not the blade) with the reset of the can. Ill do the blade with paint on POR-15 sence i wanted it black anyway

I really couldnt find the color i wanted in spray bomb at HD so i picked up a quart of enamal like others mentioned (and have done in the past) and will shoot it on with my touch up gun.

/ painting implements with cans of spray paint #23  
Many of the times you see naptha as a thinner as well as MS. the naptha is for the spray application because it flashes off so fast. It would be difficult to brush with napth thinned product and not have the brush strokes flatten.

As junk mentioned.. his base finish may not have been compatible with his primer/thinner mix. Some paints are top coat friendly.. some aren't.

I've had good luck with bare metal, primer, and paint from tsc.. and from scuffing old paint, primer/new paint applications.. etc.

Soundguy

Sully2 said:
Hmm?? I'll look again then..I sure didnt see any? I saw where it recommended mineral spirits or naptha as thinners...AND brush or roller applications...but I sure didnt see any "spray" info??

Why do you think it didnt want to dry good for you??

/ painting implements with cans of spray paint #24  
Brushing on will give you about 10 times thicker coat in one pass over a spray can, cheaper to. In the can you might have 30% paint, the rest thinner. Buy the brushes at the Dollar store, in downtown Houston I buy a 5 pack (1.5" up to a 4" brush for a buck). use once and toss, never clean them. If you want to save them for the next day, wrap them in siran wrap, that'll keep them wet.

As for the color, you may have read my posts on outside stuff. Black! holds the heat so the moisture gets out faster. Unless you can find plenty of old lead paint...IMO about the best you can do.

/ painting implements with cans of spray paint #25  
I'll put in another plug for brushing it on, as first mentioned by Soundguy and then RobJ. I got a can of brush on and a can of spray to touch up a few rusty spots on my JD rotary cutter. After a spot here and a spot there, I just brushed the whole thing. I did nothing to prep the rusty spots except wire brush them and a year later a few of them have poked through. But, good rust prep and a quality brush on paint is cheap and easy.

/ painting implements with cans of spray paint #26  
So what sort of thinner percentage (either naptha or min spirits) is suitable for a little touchup gun and typical quarts like from TSC?

/ painting implements with cans of spray paint #27  
Nevermind.... just saw Soundguy's post on the "other" sparypainting thread! Thx Soundguy!