Paladin Kodiak Box Blade

/ Paladin Kodiak Box Blade #1  

BigPapi

Tractor
Kubota BX
I have an opportunity to buy a 4' Paladin Kodiak standard duty box blade to use with my Kubota BX. This model only has 3 scarifier shanks, unlike most other box blades that size that have 4. Wondering if anyone on the site has any experience with one? Curious if heavy duty enough and if the 3 scarifiers will be adequate. Will be using on gravel road and general leveling.

/ Paladin Kodiak Box Blade #2  
I've got exactly that box blade on a MF GC1710. Your tractor itself isn't strong enough to hurt this unit given how light it is. I've used mine for dirt grading and stone driveway maintenance for the last 3-4 years and other than some paint wear she's the same now as she was then. I've hooked roots and rocks and whatnot under the ground and the blade holds up and stops the tractor. Like you I was weary of "standard duty" but it's been everything I needed it to be.

/ Paladin Kodiak Box Blade
I've got exactly that box blade on a MF GC1710. Your tractor itself isn't strong enough to hurt this unit given how light it is. I've used mine for dirt grading and stone driveway maintenance for the last 3-4 years and other than some paint wear she's the same now as she was then. I've hooked roots and rocks and whatnot under the ground and the blade holds up and stops the tractor. Like you I was weary of "standard duty" but it's been everything I needed it to be.
Thanks for the info, will definitely look into this unit further! Hopefully you can tell me what the Kodiak weighs? I tried looking it up on their attachments page, but unfortunately they don't list the weight there.

/ Paladin Kodiak Box Blade #4  
I have a 5 foot Standard Duty Kodiak since 2005 that I used behind a MF 1528. I now use it behind a L 2501 Kubota. The box itself is "light in weight". I hang 100 pounds of weights on it and it has held up well in the soft Florida soil.

I have a 5 foot Standard Duty Kodiak since 2005 that I used behind a MF 1528. I now use it behind a L 2501 Kubota. The box itself is "light in weight". I hang 100 pounds of weights on it and it has held up well in the soft Florida soil.
That's also one of my concerns, especially when using it on the gravel road. I will call the seller early next week to see if I can nail down the Kodiak's weight.

/ Paladin Kodiak Box Blade #6  
I saw the number once and it was low. Like 200lbs low. I don't use added weight. If I need a little extra I use toplink adjustments and/or rippers to get into it.

I saw the number once and it was low. Like 200lbs low. I don't use added weight. If I need a little extra I use toplink adjustments and/or rippers to get into it.
That is a little concerning since a similar sized box blade, like the Land Pride BB1248 weighs 316 lbs.

/ Paladin Kodiak Box Blade #8  
Box blades are an engineering aberration. Almost anything else you'd design you'd do with the intent to make it as light as possible while maintaining strength. Box blades you don't mind the extra weight to help it dig in. In the end it's not poorly built...the welds are good looking and well placed, everything looks true and square.

It also depends on steel quality. For instance, building something with AR400 vs A536 steel in the dimensions and thickness results in one item being almost 4x stronger.

/ Paladin Kodiak Box Blade #9  
As far as the 3 ripper shanks, i think it depends how deep you are trying to dig in with them. In general i suspect a bx would have a hard time pulling in a lot of ground conditions with the rippers all the way down. However, if only scratching lightly you'd probably be fine with 5 of them (I have 5 on a 60" bb behind my B6100 which is similar size to BX).

There have been times I have put only the middle shank all the way down to try and hook up a big rock. In that case, having one centered (3 shanks) vs 2 a bit off-center (4 shanks) is slightly preferable because it won't cause the tractor to try to turn/rotate when you are snagged on only the one shank and trying to pull. But that's a fringe use-case, pretty dang minor factor. I think you'll be happy enough either way, really.

Attachments

• IMG_84981.jpg
    IMG_84981.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 367

/ Paladin Kodiak Box Blade #10  
I don't have this specific brand 4' box blade with 3 rippers, but do have a King Kutter XB series version that is 4'. With the NH TC21D, it does handle the 3 rippers ok as long as you don't go to fast or try to go too deep on the first cut.

I have never run out of power ripping or moving material. I run out of traction. YMMV.