Pallet fork Log splitter

/ Pallet fork Log splitter #1  

davel8257

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DS4510HS
I ran across a picture of an inverted log splitter hanging from pallet forks. I found a 3pt log splitter on the internet for sale. This particular model was bolted to its stand. I unbolted it from the frame, removed the hydraulic plumbing and turned it over. I used the same holes and welded 6" C-channel to make the holder for the pallet forks to slip through. I added 4ft hoses and quick connect hydraulic connectors to attach the hoses on the front of the tractor.

I was able to stand a 4ft hard Maple slab on edge and split it -- it broke right in half. I still have to get on/off the tractor to position the pieces -- but this setup has been very useful.
Facbook_logsplitter_saleitem161000222_1581498605380389_7838120271114516139_o.jpg
IMG_2700.JPGFacbook_logsplitter_saleitem161000222_1581498605380389_7838120271114516139_o.jpg
IMG_2671.JPG

/ Pallet fork Log splitter #2  
gooder-un.JPG

/ Pallet fork Log splitter
A skidsteer version would probably be handier -- less off/on the driver's seat to position the wood pieces, but this works and can split stuff that I couldn't split otherwise (assuming I cut it down to fit within the opening first).

/ Pallet fork Log splitter #5  
We have one very similar except mounted the pocket parallel to the ram. line up all the big rounds in a row, and split them until they are a manageable size for the normal splitter. How do you find the cycle speed running off the tractor hydraulics?

/ Pallet fork Log splitter #6  
What's the cycle time on that?

/ Pallet fork Log splitter
It is pretty slow, probably 30 seconds. And the getting up and down from the tractor seat to line up logs adds more time. I can usually line up 2 or 3 in a staggered row. I use it on pieces that are unsplittable by any other means. I have an 8hp splitter that is faster but that means I have to do more wrangling. I have used the tractor to lower large pieces onto the log splitter in horizontal mode -- and the split. That is also a lot of up/down and when things split, they tend to make me jump out of the way to avoid getting hit or my toes mashed.

So -- I'm willing to trade slowness for safety.

/ Pallet fork Log splitter #8  
I ran across a picture of an inverted log splitter hanging from pallet forks. I found a 3pt log splitter on the internet for sale. This particular model was bolted to its stand. I unbolted it from the frame, removed the hydraulic plumbing and turned it over. I used the same holes and welded 6" C-channel to make the holder for the pallet forks to slip through. I added 4ft hoses and quick connect hydraulic connectors to attach the hoses on the front of the tractor.

I was able to stand a 4ft hard Maple slab on edge and split it -- it broke right in half. I still have to get on/off the tractor to position the pieces -- but this setup has been very useful.
View attachment 715382View attachment 715387View attachment 715382
View attachment 715386
That's really cool got a vid of it in use?

/ Pallet fork Log splitter #9  
This works for me and it will take wood up to 7ft diameter. I have split some that big. You can find it on you tube. watch that spelling I made a typo. plumbstriaight wood splitter. Notice that extra i in plumbstraight.

/ Pallet fork Log splitter #10  
and when things split, they tend to make me jump out of the way to avoid getting hit or my toes mashed.
If you have a grapple try this.
Then you can just drop the thing on the ground and it breaks apart
No grapple, try a wire rope or a rope sling. It'll be more work you might consider a quick release on a tether so you can yank it from the seat of your tractor