Pallet Fork / Trailer Mover

/ Pallet Fork / Trailer Mover #1  

dieselscout80

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45DA
This evening I drilled a hole in the end of each of forks of my SSQA pallet fork.

Moving my trailer with 12 sixteen foot 2x4s and 20 sheets of 7/16” 4 foot by 10’ OSB is a bit much. I may make an adapter to use both forks and have the ball hitch between them.

I also used it pulled my grain drill out to work on it this evening.

Note I didn’t think this up. When I worked for a IHC tractor dealer they had a forklift with the same setup.

Attachments

• IMG_3678.jpeg
    IMG_3678.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 137
  • IMG_3679.jpeg
    IMG_3679.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 129
   / Pallet Fork / Trailer Mover #2  
Nice!

Question for you about drilling forks: I've heard somewhere that forks are made of some special hardened steel. I question this, as I don't see why they would need to be, and they're not very expensive for something so heavy, and besides that they have major bending done to fabricate them, and welding too. Therefore my guess is they're made of cheap low carbon steel. My question is, did they drill like cheap low carbon steel, or like special hardened steel, or somewhere in between?

I'm interested because I've thought of drilling smaller holes, maybe 1/2" or so, about where you put your holes, for the purpose of being able to bolt to them to secure some loads or attachments or put an eye bolt through them.

/ Pallet Fork / Trailer Mover #3  
I have been wanting to do this. One thing I worried about is - I like to use the forks to break stump roots up and I am worried if I drill a hole it may end up bending in that spot.

/ Pallet Fork / Trailer Mover #4  
I drilled a 1.25" hole in a fork on a 3000 lb. rated forklift at work. The center of the hole was about 4" from the tip. I used a Mag. drill with an annular cutter.

It went faster than a hole saw through a 2x4.

This dose make a week spot so forget using that fork as a pry bar.

/ Pallet Fork / Trailer Mover #6  
Nice!

Question for you about drilling forks: I've heard somewhere that forks are made of some special hardened steel. I question this, as I don't see why they would need to be, and they're not very expensive for something so heavy, and besides that they have major bending done to fabricate them, and welding too. Therefore my guess is they're made of cheap low carbon steel. My question is, did they drill like cheap low carbon steel, or like special hardened steel, or somewhere in between?

I'm interested because I've thought of drilling smaller holes, maybe 1/2" or so, about where you put your holes, for the purpose of being able to bolt to them to secure some loads or attachments or put an eye bolt through them.
They would bend far too easily if they were regular low carbon steel.

/ Pallet Fork / Trailer Mover #7  
I have been wanting to do this. One thing I worried about is - I like to use the forks to break stump roots up and I am worried if I drill a hole it may end up bending in that spot.
I've seen that happen a couple times when folks put holes in their forks.

/ Pallet Fork / Trailer Mover #8  
Weld a coupler on your SSQA section of the loader. This way you dont need to weaken one fork and dont have another fork ready to poke a hole in the trailer your moving.

/ Pallet Fork / Trailer Mover #9  
Seems to me you could just make a tow rig that attaches to your fork frame separate from the forks. 8 inches between the innermost notches. Drop something in there when you need it and it's out of the way when you don't. No weakening of forks either....heck maybe just get some spare forks for your frame?

/ Pallet Fork / Trailer Mover #10  
Yeah, I am going to look for a set of used forks and one of them I will drill a hole in.