Pallet Forks and Firewood Storage

/ Pallet Forks and Firewood Storage #11  
It's taken a while to recover from the vision of so much wood! I also palletize my firewood -- but never more than a 4'x4'x4" walled-in pallet. I have a quick-attach system on the B21 and try to palletize as many items as possible: stone for a retaining wall, lumber for the greenhouse, etc. With firewood, I've found that breaking it down into manageable 4x4x4 cubes is best because they can be stacked on top of each other or put on rollers in the garage. I simply hammer in 4 corner posts, tie in 3 sides with 1x3 at the top, and wrap 4' vinyl fencing around 3 sides. The uniform top and sizes makes it look tolerable relative to the chicken wire that ties together many pallets. My system is not as refined as the pictured carry-all but the zero cost has its merits.

On another note, has anyone seen an elegant way to store pallet forks? At present I keep the forks off the ground by keeping them in a pallet that has sufficient weight on top so that they don't shift around when attaching them to the FEL. It would probably be a bigger chore than it is worth if you built a 6"x6" rack that had enough stability to resist pushing from the tractor. But, somebody might have seen a good solution.
Paul.

/ Pallet Forks and Firewood Storage
Paul,
Ok.... I gotta ask. How do you stack 4x4x4 pallets of firewood? I'd love to be able to do that because of all the room that these pallets take up, but I don't see how that could be possible. If you have a B21, the capacity is definitely more than my B7500, but you must have some trick if you can stack them. It's all I can do to raise it a few inches.
As far as pallet fork storage, I just store mine in the last pallet in my wood shed. It's light enough that I can drag it around when I need to install it.

Greg

/ Pallet Forks and Firewood Storage #13  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( How do you stack 4x4x4 pallets of firewood? )</font>

Probably with a loader....that's how I do mine.....
Mark

Markie,
I just did a little research and your NH tractor has a loader lift capacity of 2000 lbs. The B21 has a lift capacity of 926lbs. I don't think it could lift a 4x4x4 pallet of firewood. Maybe I'm wrong. My B7500 only has 660lbs. of lift at the FEL, so there is no way I can move pallets of wood other than with a 3pt. fork.

Greg

/ Pallet Forks and Firewood Storage #15  
Great idea!!
I just called TSC to buy a pallet mover but they said they no longer carry 3pt pallet movers.
Anyone know of another source?

I got mine from my Kubota dealer. It's a Rankin brand.

Greg

/ Pallet Forks and Firewood Storage #17  
Here is another task for my carryall that I have found very useful. I have a portable 10 HP Chipper/Shredder that I wheel onto the carryall platform. When I reach the work site I lower the carryall, remove the sides and use the Chipper right from the carryall.

John

Attachments

• 314347-Carryall with chipper.jpg
    314347-Carryall with chipper.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 1,058
   / Pallet Forks and Firewood Storage #18  
I bought about 20 wire (1/4 in.) gons that wre used in a fractory at an auction. they are about 4-4-4 and the front side folds down. I just haul them back into the woods where I'm cutting and through the small wood into them and haul them up with the forks. The big stuff( 14in and bigger) I load into my bucket and stack them near the outside stove. I don't split anything as my door on my furnace is 34x34 and if I can pick it up I can burn it I only paid $4 a piece for the gons and they work great. You can even stack them if you want.

Leaddog,
If you had a picture of those gons, I'd love to see it. I have access to cardboard gons, but I haven't seen and wire ones in years. Sounds like they would work really well.

Greg

/ Pallet Forks and Firewood Storage #20  
Here is one of the gons. They use them here in the auto parts factorys.

Attachments

• 314402-Dscn1670.jpg
    314402-Dscn1670.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 1,666