Pallet Forks

/ Pallet Forks #1  

hink10

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 2305
Hello everyone,
I am planning to buy Chris's Pallet forks. My dilemma is should I wait for the longer 42" forks or get the 36" forks. Bottom line, I can get everything sooner by getting the 36" forks and about $60 cheaper. The cost difference is shipping the entire setup from Chris is rather high. I can just order the frame and it's not too bad, then get the 36" forks on eBay for $149 delivered (as per the link on Artillian.com). I was wondering if anyone that has the 36" forks ever wished the for the extra inches on the forks? I will be using primarily for landscape work, moving stone ect. I know this sounds trivial, but just curious of Artillian fork users experiences. Sometime a few inches can make all the difference!
Thanks,
Steve

/ Pallet Forks #2  
Hello everyone,
I am planning to buy Chris's Pallet forks. My dilemma is should I wait for the longer 42" forks or get the 36" forks. Bottom line, I can get everything sooner by getting the 36" forks and about $60 cheaper. The cost difference is shipping the entire setup from Chris is rather high. I can just order the frame and it's not too bad, then get the 36" forks on eBay for $149 delivered (as per the link on Artillian.com). I was wondering if anyone that has the 36" forks ever wished the for the extra inches on the forks? I will be using primarily for landscape work, moving stone ect. I know this sounds trivial, but just curious of Artillian fork users experiences. Sometime a few inches can make all the difference!
Thanks,
Steve

Longer is better. Wait. Ken Sweet

/ Pallet Forks #3  
Steve,
If it was me, I would go with the shorter pallets as any less
weight is a plus for our 2305. JMO

/ Pallet Forks #4  
The difference between 36" and 42" in weight is not much. Go Long....

/ Pallet Forks #5  
Hi,

My 2 cents, take it for what it's worth, go with the shorter forks.

Your dealing with a 200 loader on the 2305. If I remember right, the 2305 has lower hyd pressure than the larger 2x20 models and as such, lower loader lift capacity. 700 vs 1100lbs at the pivot I think. By using the shorter forks and shorter pallets, your load will be closer to the pivot and thus have less leverage over your loader and you will be able to lift closer to the loader capacity. Hanging the same amount of weight out farther also stresses your front axle housing as the weight has greater leverage on the tractor chassis.

If you were talking a 3, 4 or 500 series loader none of this would matter but on the little loader, on the smallest chassis, those 6 inches make a difference.

My 2 cents,

Tom

/ Pallet Forks #6  
I would get the 36" for your 2305.

/ Pallet Forks #7  
hmm, good question. I was goiung to order the 48" forks for my DK45, but instead went with the 42" set. i measured all of my pallets i have lying around and most all were only 36" deep.

i just didnt want the wasted length to add to the weight of the forks.

Im not sure about 36" long forks as they will just barely fit thru most pallets. but if weight were an issue, the 6" less would be a benifit.

/ Pallet Forks #8  
Sounds like the shorter are the best for moving the pallets...if that is all you do. We end up moving alot of lighter weight pieces of equipment such as groomers that you need the length for just to pick up. I suppose fork extensions that slip on out of channel can help with that issue....My favorite are the 8 foot monster fork extensions for the skid steer.

/ Pallet Forks
Thanks for the input guys. Probably won't be using so much for pallets as for stones and such, but who knows, it's nice to load a bunch of smaller stuff on pallets. I think Chris said the 42" forks were only 5 lbs more each so weight is not an issue. Don't plan on carrying anything way out on the end of the forks but when I'm setting stone in my landscaping, I've found it nice to be able to push with the forks. 6" extra may not be a big deal, but a little extra reach can help at times. I need to do some more thinking I suppose. I am the worst at making decisions! Thanks again!

/ Pallet Forks #10  
Hello everyone,
Thanks,
Steve
I would go with 42'' forks- 36'' forks is just too short.

This is a nice set from Everything Attachments

42'' forks and FREE SHIPPING.:cool:

Something that the artillian forks (that everyone thinks is the best) doesn't have is a guard- The forks from Everything Attachments even has a guard- A guard is a must have on a set of forks- Your tractor hood would appreciate it.:D

The 36'' artillian forks are $759 + shipping- and the 42'' forks with a guard from EA are $772 with free shipping- They are also made in the USA.:thumbsup: