palletized wood.

/ palletized wood. #42  
I also use the plastic wrap, I get it free but instead of wrapping it on all 4 sides just lift it with the forks and wrap it on top, bottom and 2 sides that keeps water off the top yet lets air flow thru.

/ palletized wood. #44  
Jake, you are just plain lazy bud!! :D

/ palletized wood. #45  
Great thread - In our part of the world fire wood/fire place is more for show than heat for most folks. I had followed the pallet idea through the previous threads as I had a free source (new gas pipe line coming in) for some really nice cherry bark oak. Was trying to figure the easiest way etc..

My point is that I had no sooner cut the trees when I went to New Mexico to visit Mum and Pup and ... there are several commercial firewood companies in NM bragging on thier palletized fire wood - wonder if they got the idea from TBN? Do you guys in the colder climes also see commercial guys selling palletized?

I've decided not to go the palletized route. I'm going to build a buck and saw my logs then rent a splitter for the weekend. Hopefully for $55 (the cost to rent the splitter) I'll have enough wood for a couple of years. I like the idea I learned here - "split it, when the piles too high to work around move the splitter and keep going" (I'm not counting the cost of my new stihl 250 easy start in the $55, SHMBO was not an easy sell on that puchase, but its one sweet saw:D)
I'm just going to let it lie "as split" and move it FEL bucket at a time. But.. its not too cold here

/ palletized wood. #46  
I also use stretch wrap to hold my wood on plastic pallets.
The plastic pallets are slippery and wood does slide off.

When they are empty I am going to put some grip tape on the pallets and stretch wrap them.

I use corrugated metal for the tops bent in an arch for air flow to let these breathe but some thing has been knocking them off most likely bears because I've seen paw marks in the shrink wrap.
To hold it on next time I'm going to ratchet strap the tops down.

tom

/ palletized wood. #47  
I also use stretch wrap to hold my wood on plastic pallets.
The plastic pallets are slippery and wood does slide off.

When they are empty I am going to put some grip tape on the pallets and stretch wrap them.

I use corrugated metal for the tops bent in an arch for air flow to let these breathe but some thing has been knocking them off most likely bears because I've seen paw marks in the shrink wrap.
To hold it on next time I'm going to ratchet strap the tops down.

tom

Funny you mention bears- I think they may associate the plastic wrap with food wrap. At my camp, where I cut my firewood, bears kept messing with a 15 gallon water jug, knocking it over etc. I had it covered with a black plastic trash bag to keep the sun from deteriorating the plastic jug.
After I thought about it and removed the bag they have left it alone ever since!
A game camera showed them checking it out when it had the bag, they ignore it without the bag;)

/ palletized wood.
Great thread - In our part of the world fire wood/fire place is more for show than heat for most folks. I had followed the pallet idea through the previous threads as I had a free source (new gas pipe line coming in) for some really nice cherry bark oak. Was trying to figure the easiest way etc..

My point is that I had no sooner cut the trees when I went to New Mexico to visit Mum and Pup and ... there are several commercial firewood companies in NM bragging on thier palletized fire wood - wonder if they got the idea from TBN? Do you guys in the colder climes also see commercial guys selling palletized?

I've decided not to go the palletized route. I'm going to build a buck and saw my logs then rent a splitter for the weekend. Hopefully for $55 (the cost to rent the splitter) I'll have enough wood for a couple of years. I like the idea I learned here - "split it, when the piles too high to work around move the splitter and keep going" (I'm not counting the cost of my new stihl 250 easy start in the $55, SHMBO was not an easy sell on that puchase, but its one sweet saw:D)
I'm just going to let it lie "as split" and move it FEL bucket at a time. But.. its not too cold here

Up here the majority of the wood sellers, just use a dump truck. Most single axle rack bodies. 2 cord loads. Never have seen palletized wood for sale.

I need to get pics of my palletized wood. Right now i have 23 pallets of wood put up. I still have about 6 or 8 more to pallets to put up. i'll burn about 16 pallets of wood a year. Each pallet holds about 53 cu/ft of stacked wood. 64cu/ft in a half a cord.

i would hesitate to wrap it with plastic, won't dry quick enough for me. I need very dry wood to feed my boiler.

/ palletized wood. #49  
Has anyone used plastic warehouse wrap to hold the wood on the pallets?? I did this last winter and it holds nicely, but I'm kinda worried about air flow, condensation, etc. Especially if the tops of the pallets of wood are open to the rain and snow.

Thoughts??

-Jer.

You are correct with your worry. It will restrict the airflow and may mildew and not dry well. I don't have a problem keeping split wood stacked on the pallets. Round, unsplit smaller wood goes in a rack pallet built to hold the ends of the piles together (use two pallets standing on a third).
Also, I put a top rubber cover to keep off rain and snow, leave the sides open for drying.

/ palletized wood.
I have the 2 pallets on top of 1 idea. Looked into using 2x4's for the ends, but cheaper to use pallets. Also, I'll second the plastic thoughts, IMO not enough air for proper drying.

keep in mind, i figure my pallets of wood is pushing 2,000lbs. Closer to 1800, alot of weight.