Parking brake won't release on old bus RV

/ Parking brake won't release on old bus RV
Yes, I could arrange an engine coolant heater if I want. That is why I didn't worry too much about getting rid of that monster diesel-fired heater.

FYI this was the day I finally got tried on that monster and all its extra piping:
IMG_20180806_131846.jpg

And yes ether works if needed so I could probably get it started in the winter. But that is an awful lot of trouble for preventing a possible problem that only happened once in the last 10 years of parking it most of the year.

Putting the bus on blocks to get better access (just in case) is a good idea, but it conflicts with the idea of putting both drive wheels on concrete so I have traction if needed.

I didn't know about 'caging' air brakes, but that does sound like what I was wanting. A way to park the bus without having the brakes fully engaged. I am going to need to look into that. I just don't want to cause extra wear and tear trying to prevent a different problem.

BTW I did have the brakes fully disassembled and inspected before taking the beast to Colorado a couple of years ago.

Thanks.

/ Parking brake won't release on old bus RV #23  
S cam brakes need frequent greasing the operate correctly and strong return springs as well as the return (retraction) springs are the only mechanical device that pulls the shoes away from the drums. If it was my bus, last thing I'd do before parking it for an extended period of time is get under it and grease it and not just the brake actuators, but everything.

Finally, I presume it don't have automatic adjusting slack adjusters, ever bother putting a 9/16" box wrench on the slacks and adjusting them properly?

The axle may or may not have spring brakes (it's old so maybe not). Easy to tell as spring brakes will have a double can actuator. Non spring brakes are single can. Even if it does, unless the slack adjusters are set correctly, the spring brakes (parking brakes) won't operated properly. There needs to be an inch or less of travel in the brake rod with the brakes fully applied and that is set via the slack adjuster.

/ Parking brake won't release on old bus RV #24  
When I was an owner-operator (owned 4 road tractors and 6 trailers) and I still have one road tractor and a 40 foot hopper bottom grain trailer, I always did my own brakes. Not hard to do other than the weight of the rims and the drums, but 2 people can handle all of it quite easily. S cam brakes are stupid simple but must be kept greased or they won't work correctly.

Yeah, the thing has manual slack adjusters and it appears I need to adjust those and grease some more. At some point, I will send some pictures from underneath. The setup may be very simple, but it is darn near inaccessible. Thanks for the pointers.

/ Parking brake won't release on old bus RV #26  
Per chance you don't happen to live just west of Butler, Indiana? I've seen a bus like yours parked beside a house there. Keep in mind that hard to access don't really enter into the adjustment equation. Once the actuator rod travels more than 1" between applied and relaxed, the braking efficiency goes out the window. If they are that difficult to adjust, you might want to upgrade to self adjusting slacks which I'm sure are available for your application. That way the self adjust so no need to crawl under the bus with a 9/16" box wrench to manually adjust them.

Nope, the Butler bus is not mine, but I do always share a picture of it on Google Maps when I go to a campground.

And I like this one
20120802_154208.jpg

Yeah, going to Nevada is part of the reason the newer pictures all have air conditioners. ;-)