Parking - in the new day an age - Rant

/ Parking - in the new day an age - Rant #41  
You make a valid point - ovrszd. Let the idiots wrangle over the spots right next to the entrance. I can still walk and parking at a distance is always easier. When I need a walker or some other "walking device" - I hope there may be spots closer to the entrance.

And in good weather I still walk the two mile round trip down my driveway to check on the mail. Both Brownie and I can always use the exercise.

/ Parking - in the new day an age - Rant
I was quite entertained reading this thread. Most of you claim to be country folk. Sorry, you are not.

I'll walk 100 yards to the doorway of a business rather than park competitively. What are you thinking?

I'm Blessed to be able to walk ti the doorway. I'll walk past open parking spots so those that might need them can use them. I've never once crammed my vehicle into a tight spot. 🙄
Did you really read the thread?
Most posters commented that they don't park "competitively".

/ Parking - in the new day an age - Rant #43  
One of my first experiences with people afraid to walk... we got into the Suburban after leaving the grocery store, the driver backed out of our spot and immediately pulled into a spot just across the road so that she could go to the bank.

I'll take "Things that make you go "HUH?" for $10,000, Alex.

This was a coworker on my first job out of college. We were in the small town of Patten in northern Maine, not a really bustling megalopolis. Also, as timber cruisers we walked several miles every day.

/ Parking - in the new day an age - Rant #44  
I was quite entertained reading this thread. Most of you claim to be country folk. Sorry, you are not.

I'll walk 100 yards to the doorway of a business rather than park competitively. What are you thinking?

I'm Blessed to be able to walk ti the doorway. I'll walk past open parking spots so those that might need them can use them. I've never once crammed my vehicle into a tight spot. 🙄
Most of the folks saying the spots were tight is not just because of other cars, but just how close together the white lines marking the space are compared to the size of today's pick up trucks.

We have an F150 that is 8-9 years old. We use it to pull the horse trailer. It is also a daily driver. There are lots of parking lots where it is difficult to maneuver into and out of a spot because of how close the rows are to each other (not enough room to back out of the spot) or how close the white lines are to each other. So even if you park centered between the lines a car parking next to you is going to make it tough to get in/out of the vehicle. It also makes the turn when backing out difficult if there is not enough room to back further out because you are going to hit the cars in the parking row behind you.

Those situations are usually in business with smaller parking lots. In that situation there is usually not somewhere "far out" you can park to not have to deal with other cars.

At a bigger store either they have larger spots and/or you can park further away so you are not having to park next to someone.

/ Parking - in the new day an age - Rant #45  
Most of the folks saying the spots were tight is not just because of other cars, but just how close together the white lines marking the space are compared to the size of today's pick up trucks.

We have an F150 that is 8-9 years old. We use it to pull the horse trailer. It is also a daily driver. There are lots of parking lots where it is difficult to maneuver into and out of a spot because of how close the rows are to each other (not enough room to back out of the spot) or how close the white lines are to each other. So even if you park centered between the lines a car parking next to you is going to make it tough to get in/out of the vehicle. It also makes the turn when backing out difficult if there is not enough room to back further out because you are going to hit the cars in the parking row behind you.

Those situations are usually in business with smaller parking lots. In that situation there is usually not somewhere "far out" you can park to not have to deal with other cars.

At a bigger store either they have larger spots and/or you can park further away so you are not having to park next to someone.
My comment about city folk was concerning crowded lots. On a given day the local farm an home store parking lot has 6-8 vehicles in the entire lot. Go up on the county seat square and it's 1/4 full. Go to WalMart any day during thecweek and it's 1/10th full. Sometimes the locals don't even bother to pull in, just parallel park. 😁

/ Parking - in the new day an age - Rant #46  
I've seen trucks like this in handicapped spots around here. You can't make this stuff up.
AubCes3CIAAsc3N.jpg

/ Parking - in the new day an age - Rant #47  
I really like the Colorado and the Canyon. I looked at them first. But needed more tow capacity to pull my eq trailer with tractor. I guess the price for that is a truck that won't fit.

I am amazed that the trucks (1500 and 150) just a few years ago were pretty much smaller than the Colorado.
I have a 2001 Toyota Tundra as my puttering around vehicle. It’s the first generation before they supersized them 🤬. About 90% of the size of a standard pickup of the day. I can get in and out of the seat easily and reach over the bed rails. Also has a V8 and will scoot with no engine lag. 👍

/ Parking - in the new day an age - Rant #48  
I've seen trucks like this in handicapped spots around here. You can't make this stuff up. View attachment 768035
I saw a similar ginormous one recently at the Dollar store. It had a Handicap card hanging from the mirror. ???

Last edited:
   / Parking - in the new day an age - Rant #49  
I either don't go to places that this is a problem, or I park far away. Unless I see see someone parked like an *******, then i park on top of them. What really burns me is people that park in the fire lane because they're just popping in for a minute.

/ Parking - in the new day an age - Rant #50  
I saw a similar ginormous one recently at the Dollar store. It had a Handicap card hanging from the mirror. ???
I agree that the Handicap Tags are often abused. On the other hand, we never know exactly what one's handicap is. It could be a heart problem, etc..
Nothing sets me off quicker than those important people that park right in front of the business door "just for a minute", meanwhile I have to walk a half a mile from the back of the parking lot.