Parking - in the new day an age - Rant

/ Parking - in the new day an age - Rant #131  
I think its because in the picture the truck is lifted and there is absolutely no way someone with a legitimate physical handicap could pull themselves up into the cab.
That is completely untrue. After my cardiac arrest if I parked out in the back of the parking lot and walked into the store I would be exhausted. Getting up into a big truck would have been zero problem for me.

Can you define "legitimate" physical handicap for me? Maybe my near death experience (drs told my wife I had less than a 5% chance of survival) is not legitimate I guess.

/ Parking - in the new day an age - Rant #133  
Just because you can get a handicapped placard doesn't mean you should. Based on my limited observation at work and at stores probably 80% shouldn't park in handicapped spots.

If you aren't using a cane or in a wheelchair you don't need the placard.
Man I wish I was as self righteous as you are. Must be an easy life when you are the god given expert on everything. Do you know the definition of the word compassion? Try some for once.

/ Parking - in the new day an age - Rant #134  
It's not a deep hole. It's a misunderstanding on your part. For more than 30 years there have been laws allowing those with significant vision impairment to use assistive devices to drive. Many states require specific certification and training to use these devices. These assistive devices aren't as practical to use all the time, so they aren't worn when they aren't driving. I don't think this is common so I doubt it's clogging handicap spaces.

I am sure that these people would love to either have someone to drive them around all the time or be able to have all the time correction of their vision, but neither of those is possible for everyone. Hopefully, permanent correction will be available for more people eventually.

What are you proposing? That these people shouldn't be able to get a driver's license or that they shouldn't be able to get a handicap placard? Again, if you have a problem with the laws, you can work to change them. Otherwise, I am just explaining the way it works.
And at least in INdiana one of the questions on the application for the placard is a question if the person cannot drive, will the person getting the placard be driving a person that qualifies? After my near death experience I could not drive for 3 months legally. Longer from an ability standpoint, but still could not walk long distance. So I qualified for a placard. Could only be used if I was in the car. So if the wife went to the store alone she would not use it. IF I was going to just sit in the car and wait for her we would not park in a handicap spot. If I was going into the store with her different story. I could walk into the store just fine. Then use the electric carts they provide. Then walk back out to the car.

/ Parking - in the new day an age - Rant #135  
2. I only have a dozen or so places to look if I forget where I parked
That’s always been an advantage of using the far edge of the lot… I’ve been parking in the same spot for years. 👍 Lately though, it hasn’t worked out so well, it seems like half the time that I go to the grocery store, somebody has taken MY spot!!!! :D

After reading this thread it appears that some TBN members are part of the problem. To those of you who are, I wish that you would go back to finding spots closer to the store.

Once again I find myself needing that “stirthepot” gif…

/ Parking - in the new day an age - Rant #137  
Man I wish I was as self righteous as you are. Must be an easy life when you are the god given expert on everything. Do you know the definition of the word compassion? Try some for once.

Don't have compassion for people who take advantage of the system just so they can save a few steps walking. Don't know your health situation but if you get of your lifted truck and walk briskly into the store from your handicapped parking spot I have no problem making a judgment call that you are gaming the system.

/ Parking - in the new day an age - Rant #138  
I always remember a guy I went to college with, probably 6’2”, weighed 180 pounds, the picture of health. If you saw him with his shirt of you saw all these scars, he was born with a badly defective heart, had major surgery as an infant, and his heart still didn’t function well. He had a handicap placard, needed it, but didn’t look like it. I try not to judge who uses a handicap spot because I really don’t care.

/ Parking - in the new day an age - Rant #139  
That’s always been an advantage of using the far edge of the lot… I’ve been parking in the same spot for years. 👍 Lately though, it hasn’t worked out so well, it seems like half the time that I go to the grocery store, somebody has taken MY spot!!!! :D

After reading this thread it appears that some TBN members are part of the problem. To those of you who are, I wish that you would go back to finding spots closer to the store.

Once again I find myself needing that “stirthepot” gif…
6CD17F11-6D61-46EF-86DE-EA940A5E185D.gif

/ Parking - in the new day an age - Rant #140  
Don't have compassion for people who take advantage of the system just so they can save a few steps walking. Don't know your health situation but if you get of your lifted truck and walk briskly into the store from your handicapped parking spot I have no problem making a judgment call that you are gaming the system.
And based upon your posts here I have no problem making a judgment call either.