Parking lot test drive with a 4220

/ Parking lot test drive with a 4220 #1  

Stonewall

Silver Member
Tractor
MF 1215
Driving down the road Monday and saw a new building with new red tractors in the lot - Bransons. Stopped and took a quick spin around the lot on a 4220, Loader and a PHD on the 3 point. 47 Hrs. on the clock and was up for sale as a demonstrator. Range 1 took some massaging to engage and I could not get the 4WD to dissengage (tried neutral on the shuttle and range, rocked it a little and it still wouldn't let go) Auger on the back turned ever so slowly the whole time (No PTO engaged) and the loader arms on the left side were BLACK with exhaust. Are the Range shifter, 4WD and PTO anomalies just an adjustment away from good as new? Do other 4220 owners notice a lot of smoke as well? - just asking. The reviews on this forum are mostly positive and you do seem to get a lot for your money with Branson.

/ Parking lot test drive with a 4220 #2  
Steven, there was a post on the forum just recently (another brand) talking about 4wd "wind up" in the drive train which keeps you from being able to shift out of 4wd easily. You have to relieve the pressure of the "wind up" to be able to shift. There were two techniques used...either put your loader down and lift the front wheels off the ground and shift, or slowly back up while putting upward pressure on the shift lever at the same time until it shifts. I use the latter technique. I usually take it out of 4wd if I am going on the road, or mowing a large flat field, otherwise I am 4wd on these hills I have.

sassafraspete

/ Parking lot test drive with a 4220 #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ...Range 1 took some massaging to engage and I could not get the 4WD to dissengage (tried neutral on the shuttle and range, rocked it a little and it still wouldn't let go) Auger on the back turned ever so slowly the whole time (No PTO engaged) and the loader arms on the left side were BLACK with exhaust. Are the Range shifter, 4WD and PTO anomalies just an adjustment away from good as new? Do other 4220 owners notice a lot of smoke as well? .... )</font>

As Pete said the 4WD engagement and range shift sometimes need to be massaged. I haven't noticed any soot on my loader. PTO slowly turning seems to be normal, but it surprises me that it has enough force to turn the auger. On my tractor I can easily stop the PTO shaft from turning by grabbing it.

/ Parking lot test drive with a 4220 #4  
As far as the black arm on the loader...the way the exhaust is discharged deposits carbon on the loader arm. When you work the machine hard it smokes a little.....this is common for a N/A diesel even T/A diesel. As much as a black loader arm makes a pretty machine look less than nice, I'll take it over a smoke stack.

/ Parking lot test drive with a 4220
Thanks for the input guys. I am not familiar with 4WD Wind up as my 1215 is a light little machine and I'm allways on dirt or turf ( even on the road). I am probably resposible for the Wind up the 4220 - the first thing I did when I got into the open was crank the wheel around to see what the turn radius felt like /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. I also saw a post about hydraulic turbulence in the trans. causing the PTO to turn slightly. The Salesman said the unit had been out as a rental so the exess carbon could be from lower grade fuel on a construction site. I think that we and our tractors get spoiled running premium diesel all the time. The 4220 is a lot of machine for my needs. I have been looking at the NH TC30 for it's affordability and wide stance/low CG. He quoted me $14,800 on a 2810 with Fell and some hours on it. $15,600 for same new. Has anyone compared the 2810 vs TC30?

/ Parking lot test drive with a 4220
47 hours on the meter = not much. It's just ready for it's first 50 hour service.

Also: To clarify my last post. The $$ quoted are for the 2810 NOT the TC30

/ Parking lot test drive with a 4220 #8  
Sorry I was asking how much they wanted for a used 4220.

I'm always looking to see what kind of deal I got!