Parking tips

/ Parking tips #11  
I do all of those suggestions (except key as mine is broken in the switch ((don't tell the thieves)) and use a screwdriver to start)

But also I always park nose in so that my snowblower is oriented so as to blow my way out. Also rotate the shute to the desire location as once it froze and was aimed at the door. Kinda hard to turn the tractor around in 16" of snow!

/ Parking tips #12  
l also drive it in ,so i can snowblow my way out.Before i park ,i dump a little oil on the blower ,chain while its running ,then lower it onto two sticks of wood to keep it off the ground.Iclean all the snow off with a broom and look it all over good,as well as hoses and 3 point hard ware.Doing this insures its good to go next time.
ALAN

/ Parking tips #13  
I park in an unheated shed. I always back in just in case it does not start. I can at least unhook the implement I am attached to and winch the tractor on the trailer if needed. I have enough room to turn the tractor around in the shed and back into the snow if I need to.

/ Parking tips #14  
I'm far enough south, and accustomed to parking indoors, that I didn't have those problems, but it all sounds like good advice to me.

I'm one of those who routinely uses the parking brake on my cars, but I learned, in freezing wet weather, you can have a parking brake cable freeze and fail to release when you want to go again.

I made the mistake of setting the parking brake on my Subaru wagon and letting it sit 6 weeks in freezing winter weather while I was away on business. Result: warped rear brake drums that had to be remachined.

/ Parking tips #15  
I made the mistake of setting the parking brake on my Subaru wagon and letting it sit 6 weeks in freezing winter weather while I was away on business. Result: warped rear brake drums that had to be remachined.
I didn't do that.
What I did one time many moons ago was leave my 71 ford PU setting in the side yard one winter.
Well the drainage ditch got dammed up and ran the water out into the yard.
Staid real cold below freezing for about 2 months.
Went to move the truck one day.
It wouldn't budge.
All 4 wheels were frozen soled in about 6 inches of solid ice.
Wound up letting it set there till the spring thaw.

/ Parking tips #16  
Frozen wheels:
Purchased a small airplane (Tailorcraft BC12D) once that wheels were frozen in ruts.
We thawed them out with a 50,000 heater (or believed so).
Test flight proved all to be OK so proceeded to ferry the AC but followed the frozen Hudson river heading towards Burlington Vt.
When I came to land one of the brake drums had re-frozen due to cold air flow.
Now that landing was one of the hairiest that I ever made!

Talk of 'pucker factor'!
No damage occured (except to the seat).

/ Parking tips #17  
I bought a Farmall A once ($200) that had previously been frozen into a puddle rears only. Trouble is, the owner chained around the front steering box to urge it out, and broke the casting. It stayed together, welded, but the break went through an oil passage and I could never get it to stop dripping. Finally hung a can under to catch the drip! Misspent youth, I guess.
Jim

/ Parking tips #18  
My neighbour and I backed a case skidsteer (he has the biggest one they make) into the shed one day when it was bitterly cold. We backed right up so the rear was almost touching the wall and shut er down. Well, the **** battery died and we could not open the rear hood. It was NASTY to solve as we had to dig a hole across the shed, wrap a chain around the pole footing and winch the skidsteer away from the wall by hand. Moral of the story, wherever you park, make sure if the beast dies you can work on it. LOL

/ Parking tips #20  
If you are not going to use the tractor for 2 weeks or more, you should use the clutch peddle hold down. If your tractor does not have that, use a stick or vice grip or clamp. That will keep the clutch from rusting to the flywheel.

jb

Good Afternoon JB,
Oh thats what that little dohickey by the clutch pedal is ! ;)