Parting Line in a bearing's outer race...

/ Parting Line in a bearing's outer race... #1  

Big Wave D

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L35, Kubota B6200E
I am working on an F935 mower for a local nonprofit organization. The mower gets mostly abused, heavily. The left side bearing that carries the outer end of the axle shaft was completely destroyed. I got it all apart, have the new parts, and was able to have a machine shop redo the gouging that had been inflicted on the differential end of the axle shaft.

The bearing came with a pamphlet inside. I have scanned and attached it to this post. It states that the 'parting line' is normal and should be installed 'pointing down'.

I can't find the parting line. :confused3:

I have looked numerous times, in differing light conditions, at differing angles, and nothing jumps out as a seam. I have run my nail around numerous times and can't detect any sort of minute dip or catch.

I have a couple of places, maybe 3, that I would take an educated guess as to it might being the parting line, but nothing as obvious as their pamphlet shows.

So, I turn to the vast knowledge of TBN for help. Got any tips or tricks that might help me feel more confident or sure about being correct on what side should go on the bottom?

I am wondering if this was the reason of the bearing's failure to begin with? The axle shaft is $345 to replace new. I am doing the work for free and donating the parts, but I can't afford a new shaft; so, I need for this repair to last them a good long time.

Thanks for any tips or advice in advance on this problem. Truly appreciated.

Parting Line.png

/ Parting Line in a bearing's outer race... #2  
It may be possible that there was a design change in the bearing and the wrong instructions were added to the bearing. If it were me I would get in touch with the company rep and ask he or she about the so called "line". It's the safest bet. If you can't see the line then all your going to do is a best guess and that won't help if the bearing fails again. The rep may tell you to simply disregard the instructions.

/ Parting Line in a bearing's outer race...
You are correct. I worded that poorly.

The bearing 'stands up' when installed. They want the seam to be at the 6 o'clock position like on the face of a clock.

Where I work they have inspection microscopes that have extremely high powers of magnification. I am just going to take it with me and use them to find it, IF it has one.

4shorts, I agree. They may have done a design change and the packed instruction are no longer correct. Tomorrow will answer all I expect.

I will let you know how it goes. Would be REAL nice if they used dye or some kind of small punch mark to let you know HERE IT IS. Wishful thinking I guess. :rolleyes:

/ Parting Line in a bearing's outer race... #4  
It will be interesting to see if you see something under the scope but I'm doubtful you will. I'll look forward to seeing what you find.

/ Parting Line in a bearing's outer race... #5  
I'm thinking its a different bearing than the original and it does not have the mark.

BR, I am beginning to think the way you and 4shorts have suggested.

As crude as this pamphlet is with having been a copy of a copy 1000x's over. It seems that they might indicate/say that the part line is not easily seen by the naked eye or at least something along those lines.

I don't know how a bearing is made, but it seems odd to wrap the outer race around the inner components. It seems like you'd have the inner and outer as a single, uninterrupted piece and then add the bearings and finally capture them with caps coming in from the sides. Like I said, I know nothing about how they are made.

I too am wondering what I will find.

I will report back with the 'results'. :)

Seems the pamphlet is in error; however, I could not get a definitive yes on that.

Took the bearing to work. Used one of the 10x inspection scopes with absolutely nothing to find. I had some other eyes go over it as well and they agreed. They could see nothing either.

I also called the parts counter from the JD dealer I got the parts from. Asked the parts man if he could find any kind of reference to a revision of a newer part. He looked for quite a while and said that nothing he had, or on the JD website, made mention of the parting line being eliminated. He also went and grabbed another of the same bearing he had in stock and visually inspected it himself. He agreed. There was nothing he could see either, that looked like a definitive seam.

I have done some searching, but have yet to find a photo off of Google or Bing that shows a sealed, ball bearing with this mythical parting line. If someone could post an image I would find it very interesting. I have just wondered if it is easily seen or does take a magnifying glass to locate.

Thanks to all who have responded.

I am just going to install it and try not to worry about it. (Still bothers me, oh well) :confused3:

/ Parting Line in a bearing's outer race... #8  
It makes no sense to make a bearing that is broken.I would insist on an answer from John Deere.I don't buy their high priced bearings unless I have to.They gave the specs on the parts site,and it is a common 6206(30x62x16) that you can get on Ebay for $5.48 delivered,their price is $25.88+tax. Heck of a markup!
Makes you wonder if this is some kind of joke like sending the new guy to the truck to get a sky hook,or to the parts store for a muffler bearing!

/ Parting Line in a bearing's outer race... #9  
I have never seen a parting line on a ball bearing?? So I agree with other here.

I also never buy seals or bearings from JD, (or any other tractor, auto, or implement mfg). They dont make the bearings. They are just middle men collecting a profit.

But I also dont buy chinese knockoffs either. SKF, Timken, NTN, Koyo, Nachi, NSK, etc are all good ones. IF they dont list a brand, its probably chinese.

/ Parting Line in a bearing's outer race... #10  
I have installed high precision bearing in machinery that had the line. In those cases you could see it easy. I have only seen it in thrust angular contact bearings though. And only when you are trying to hold microns in tolerance.