Parts Washer Solvent?

/ Parts Washer Solvent? #21  
I bought 5 gal of the high end solvent when i got my 15 gallon washer.

had ahard time parting with the $80 it cost me... had to set the one end of the parts washer on bricks so i could use it so the pump would be submerged.

it was REALLY good stuf... didnt burn, cut the grease and gunk realy well and once you let it sit, the crap settled out of it.

I got tired of having to have the thing tilted so i added 5 gal of kerosene to it.

stinks a bit more, stings a bit more, and the stuff doesnt settle out as well, but still works well and i dont have ot have it tilted anymore.

/ Parts Washer Solvent? #22  
I really don't remember which grade of Varsol I had. My distributor only had one grade, and I'm inclined to think it was the 110, but I could be wrong.

/ Parts Washer Solvent?
I just got my hands on some stuff that may be the answer to the bio-friendly solvent.

I was talking with my cleaning chemicals rep at the food plant where I work. He gave me a quart of a corn and soy based solvent product. It's only a quart, so I won't be able to use it in my parts washer, but I am going to try it on some greasy parts and post back how it works. After I see how it works, I'll talk price with him.

/ Parts Washer Solvent? #24  
I contacted a local uion oil distributor and they'd never heard of it and they only offer $6 gal mineral spirits. would your distributor know of a vendor in Eastern Wa. 99301 area? I think it's made in Canada, though. bjr

/ Parts Washer Solvent? #25  
Of course, I've moved nearly a hundred miles from there now, but I used to get my Varsol from Johnson Oil Company, [SIZE=-1]1200 N Business 45, [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Corsicana, TX 75110, (9[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]03) 872-6621.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
They are an Exxon distributor where I also bought the diesel fuel for my tractors. So you made me curious and I called them. They say they no longer have varsol, but have generic naptha "which is the same thing". And it's now $3.29 a gallon.

/ Parts Washer Solvent? #26  
check grainger.com search for parts washer fluid.

It has some options for bio degradable stuff. It gave me some idea on what the options are. I'll stick with wd-40 and a pressure washer.

/ Parts Washer Solvent? #27  
Iplayfarmer said:
I just got my hands on some stuff that may be the answer to the bio-friendly solvent.

I was talking with my cleaning chemicals rep at the food plant where I work. He gave me a quart of a corn and soy based solvent product. It's only a quart, so I won't be able to use it in my parts washer, but I am going to try it on some greasy parts and post back how it works. After I see how it works, I'll talk price with him.

If you don't like the way that works out check a paint store for Varsol. Might have to go to an automotive paint store, but you should find some. Another thing I did with ours was to put a remote oil spin-on filter mount between the pump and the output. When the flow gets low, I know it's time to change the filter. I also took a large round brush and drilled lengthwise through the handle with a 1/4 or 5/16th bit. Nice to be able to brush and wash at the same time.

/ Parts Washer Solvent? #28  
I use a magical mixture...Ok maybe not , but it is a mix of 1 gallon Varsol, 1 gallon or so kerosene and the rest is trans fluid about 3 or more quarts...to fill the homemade reservoir.
Goes through a cheesy filter and the bigger stuff settles to the bottom. Been using it this way for years...parts washer has built in hose/brush

Seems to work OK for me but I'm not in business, If need be afterward (for painting or sealing purposes )a little lacquer thinner takes off the oily coating.

/ Parts Washer Solvent? #29  
I also took a large round brush and drilled lengthwise through the handle with a 1/4 or 5/16th bit. Nice to be able to brush and wash at the same time.

That would sure be cheaper than the one I bought! It was a round brush with a hose from the handle the solvent spout; seemed like a great idea and was almost never used; just a waster of money for me. I had sieve in a can in which I kept a wide assortment of brushes and those were the ones I used.