pasture rehab

/ pasture rehab #1  

BigGary

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4320
The first thing that i am attempting to do with my new machine is ti reclaim old pasture that has reverted half way back to forest. The largest brush/trees are about 4-5 inches in size and the four in one bucket can rip them out roots and all with a little rocking action while applying up pressure with he loader. The rest of the old stumps and rocks the 448 back hoe can take care of.
My question is after working a really thick area over this week end it is much rougher than I would like to have it.
would a box scraper with teeth be able to be pulled through the roots and rocky new england soil with the 48 HP. machine and if so which one would the member suggest?
I think it may be I should just mow what I am able to with the MX-6 and after a few years the good stuff will grow as the bad stuff is kept down. What do you experts think?

/ pasture rehab #2  
Are you planning to actually make this pasture? If you are I don't think your ideas will work. If you are just looking to make it look nice then you will probably get along ok.

As far as box blades go you should be able to rip through it with a 6'. I have a Woods and have beat the tar out of that thing and it has held up with no problems. Make sure you get the heavy duty one though.

After you are done smoothing it I would get someone in there with a good heavy disc and really disc it good. Then I would harrow it and plant your pasture, what to plant all depends on what you want to do with it.

/ pasture rehab #3  
I disc through reclaimed land with 6.5' 22" notched and 55gal barrel water for extra weight.Takes care of most roots, but I don't have big rocks to deal with though. I guess you'd need a rockpicker for that. Like Doc says, if you want pasture, you've got to plant and fert it

/ pasture rehab #4  
I agree with the others, ..and cowboydoc /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. Just destumping and root raking is still going to leave a battle field appearance. And while mowing will help.. it will be lumpy.

I would disc it, drag it, plant it, and mow it. Sure.. disc'ing will turn up some old weed seeds the first season.. that's where the mowing comes in.. just mow the heck out of it. And grass will slowly take over.

I was renovating an old watermellon pasture that went to blackberries, dog fennel, and ragweed... and disc'ed it, but got at least half of them back even after grass seeding.. extension agent said to just keep mowing for a couple years.. every time it got high enough to mow.. and the grass would take over. So far he's been right. Every time i mow the grass comes back a little more and faster than the weeds.

Soundguy

/ pasture rehab #5  
If you keep mowing it, it will come back, mostly. If you are looking for prime pasture, then you have to till and seed.

If you are running animals, start putting the poop to it. If you dont have animals yet, then see if you can get some from a nearby farm or horse farm. If you are just putting out pasture potatoes (horses) I'd just mow it and hit it with manure. If you are raising a critter to sell, then disc, fertilize and seed.

/ pasture rehab
Guys, Thanks for the response.
As a new member I have learned a lesson with this post.
On another thread somone asked what is the best foot wear for tractor operation??!!
I think he got 45 responses in about the same time I got 4 to a real question about real use of tractor and land.
I guess there is a lot more of them than us! Or them that are pretending to be us because they bought a 20 HP Tractor.
Ill bet for every tractor sold over 40HP 50 are sold under 30HP. Please don't misunderstand most people don't need a larger machine and they should stick with what will get the job done for the minimum cash out put.
I was a little supprised by the numbers, that all.
Iguess i'll stick one of them little faces in here because that seems to be the way to go too. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ pasture rehab #7  
i'm restoring a 1740 farming operation - just finished 2 fields (~2 acres) - both were in the same shape as yours (i'm in sw NH, so i'm familiar with new england soil).

used a DK55c with backhoe and 7' box blade with scarifiers. the 'hoe took care of large stumps and rocks, the box blade was invaluable. with the scarifiers in place, large/small rocks, stumps, etc. were lifted and brought to the surface. using the FEL (and a few friends driving around on an ATV with trailer to help pick up small rocks, etc.), we managed to to get the field back to its original state.

now have winter rye growing like made on some excellent soil.

so - a box blade with scarifiers worked very well. just be sure to patient - and remember.. when you THINK you're done, you'll find another rock.

pf

/ pasture rehab
Thanks,
I know i'm not going to end up with a golf green but I would like it somwhat smoother than left by the back hoe and loader.
It will take time i'm sure, but will be well worth the investment!

/ pasture rehab #9  
<font color="green">45 responses in about the same time I got 4 to a real question about real use of tractor and land.
</font>

Sad but true.

/ pasture rehab #10  
At the risk of getting even fewer responses, I'll chime in with a similar question:

What would you experts recommend for de-rutting a pasture? I have one section of about 5 acres that was apparently tilled at one time years ago, and then driven through with a heavy truck while it was still soft. It is criss crossed with ruts about 4" to 8" deep. It has been decades since this occurred, and the soil has now solidified. I have tried the box blade with the teeth all the way down, but they just quickly fill with grass and little roots. I was thinking of a HEAVY discing, going back and forth in several directions.