Paw-Paws

/ Paw-Paws #1  

sanmigmike

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830 HST
We have a paw-paw tree that is starting to drop its fruit. Most of it still green with some just starting to have a little yellow. Will it ripen and what is going on, last year the fruit was more into the yellow when it dropped or when we picked it?

/ Paw-Paws #2  
Indiana bananas! :)

I tried to grow them twice but the animals ate the small saplings. Do you have any pictures of them?

/ Paw-Paws #3  
We had several do the same thing, seems it was to hot and dry. They are at the peak when dark, almost black, but I like them when they just start to turn a dark brown. The flesh is more firm, refrigerateing them helps. We have sit green one's in the window, or put them in a brown bag for a few days and they do seem to ripen OK, but not like on the tree. I have to fight the deer, coons and opossum at rippening time, the coons and opossum climb up the tree and break out the top or small limbs. I think we now have around 100 trees or so, some wild, some I transplanted, some from seed. Very young trees seem to be eaten by beaver or muskrats that are along the creek. The Indiana banana is very good to eat, some websites claim they fight or stop cancer, do a google search, very interesting. BEAR

/ Paw-Paws
So far the deer have not shown much interest it them, and they do nibble on things right up to the house. Just have the one tree but my wife likes the fruit so much she wants to grow more so might put some more trees in away from the house. Then the deer will become a nusiance, eh?

The deer have been a problem on some things but the real problems are the ground creatures, the moles, voles gophers or what ever. Don't want to bait them since we have nine cats but... At times a few sticks of dynamite has a certain appeal.

SWMBO thinks the tree is a "Collins"?

Among some other off the wall fruit we also have a quince tree...some previous owner did like strange or unusual fruit. The problem is that the last owner did not take care of them so we have a quince tree that has a trunk parallel to the ground!

Attachments

• Paw-Paw05.jpg
    Paw-Paw05.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 254
  • Paw-Paw06.jpg
    Paw-Paw06.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 215
  • Paw-Paw07.jpg
    Paw-Paw07.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 204
   / Paw-Paws #5  
:D I planted a couple of paw-paws last yr., but they aren't growing very fast, no fruit, tallest tree is maybe 3 ft. Do they need a pair to fertilize? Also, how do you eat & prepare them?

/ Paw-Paws #8  
This sounds like a drawback.... :eek:

Cultivation

Pollinated by scavenging carrion flies and beetles, the flowers emit a weak scent which attracts few pollinators, thus limiting fruit production.
Larger growers sometimes locate rotting meat near the trees at bloom time to increase the number of blowflies. Asimina triloba is the only larval host of the Zebra Swallowtail Butterfly.

But this sounds like an advantage... ;)

Among backyard gardeners it also is gaining in popularity because of the appeal of fresh fruit and because it is relatively low maintenance once planted. The pulp is used primarily in baked dessert recipes, as well as for brewing pawpaw beer. :D

/ Paw-Paws #9  
I have a couple hundred of these on the low end of my property near the creek beds. Most are between 6-8' tall and some are double that or more. We never really tried harvesting the fruits, but maybe I'll give it a try just to see.......

BTW - that same area is chock full of ginger; sycamores and walnuts; and we get baskets of these big nobby green softball sized fruits/seeds dropping out of the trees. A neighbor uses the big nutballs to repel insects...

/ Paw-Paws #10  
Champy said:
I have a couple hundred of these on the low end of my property near the creek beds. Most are between 6-8' tall and some are double that or more. We never really tried harvesting the fruits, but maybe I'll give it a try just to see.......

BTW - that same area is chock full of ginger; sycamores and walnuts; and we get baskets of these big nobby green softball sized fruits/seeds dropping out of the trees. A neighbor uses the big nutballs to repel insects...
Yeah, we also have piles of paw-paws in the areas along our creek. They really seem to like the damp, sandy soil, as do the walnut, sycamore, ash, hackberry, etc.

Are you sure the "big nobby green softball sized fruits" aren't what we call "hedge apples?" Those are the fruit of the osage orange/hedge tree. I don't think there's much wildlife that actually eats them, but the insect repellant angle would be new to me.

- Jay