Pay extra for Load Range E's?

/ Pay extra for Load Range E's? #51  
You obviously carry a lot of weight in your truck if you are considering 43 to 55K miles a good service life. My GMC in the OP has just under 40,000 miles on the OEM tires and they still have more than half the tread left. Maybe 5,000 of that mileage has been for heavy towing, but the remainder has been very lightly loaded.

I have I owned and driven about 6 3/4 & 1 ton trucks and 35,000 miles tops is all I get out of tires. My trucks work for a living though but are maintained top notch. They always get 5000 mile oil changes, tire rotation every other, 30,000 mile diff, tranny, teansfer case changes, ect.

Everyone else I know never gets more than 40,000 miles out of a set of tires on a truck unless its a grocery getter.

Chris

Last edited:
   / Pay extra for Load Range E's? #52  
I have I owned and driven about 6 3/4 & 1 ton trucks and 35,000 miles tops is all I get out of tires. My trucks work for a living though but are maintained top notch. They always get 5000 oil changes, tire rotation every other, 30,000 mike diff, tranny, teansfer case changes, ect.

Everyone else I know never gets more than 40,000 miles out of a set of tires on a truck unless its a grocery getter.

Chris

Add a life of gravel roads in the mix,hauling tools,air compressor, and pulling trailers, and you wont see half that life. Most of the time we are traveling a good speed on the gravel on top of that. And tires wont last at all.I am trying a set of 295/70 R17 in e range in a toyo mt. Put them on in June last year. Made a trip up to Victoria BC to get a steam launch boat, over a 4500 mile round trip,couldnt even tell they wore any. They have seen a lot of gravel so far,but this summer will tell the tale. LUTT

/ Pay extra for Load Range E's? #53  
I have I owned and driven about 6 3/4 & 1 ton trucks and 35,000 miles tops is all I get out of tires.

Chris

My F250 is mostly just a daily driver. I got 100,000 miles out of the original Firestone Steeltex, and have around 88,000 on the Yokohama Geolander AT replacements. They won't make it to 100K but they have another 4 to 6K of tread left.

/ Pay extra for Load Range E's? #54  
My F250 is mostly just a daily driver. I got 100,000 miles out of the original Firestone Steeltex, and have around 88,000 on the Yokohama Geolander AT replacements. They won't make it to 100K but they have another 4 to 6K of tread left.

Your roads must be made of foam and cotton.

Chris

/ Pay extra for Load Range E's? #55  
I going to get about 70,000 out of my Michelins on a 08 2500 (Cummins) Dodge. They are E rated and ride rough with no load, ride great with anything over 4,000 lbs. Only about 1/4 of the mileage will be from towing. I will pay the difference for a good E rated tire.

Eddie

/ Pay extra for Load Range E's? #56  
i've had 3/4 ton 4x4's for the last decade, and i've had all e's except for one set of studded c's i bought used - with everything having 17-20's now, good used 16's are starting to be a bargain. to date i've never got more than about 35k out of a set, though it's hard to keep perfect track, because i swap tires between summer and winter months. prior to having a second set of wheels i probably didn't get all the life out of them that i could, because i often changed tires before the winter months due to a shallow tread depth that i might have kept in the summer months.

one time when running the studded c's i had to tow a tractor that a friend bought. when i got there to pick it up, it was much larger than i had been led to believe. i was a little concerned about the tires, but they handled fine with what was probably a 10-12k load behind me. i stopped and checked a couple times and there was never any sign that they were hot, and that was with about 45-50 lbs of air (can't remember which for certain, but that's all the c's were rated at.) i run my e's at 60 front and 70 rear as opposed to the door sticker 60/80 numbers. i find with what i usually haul i get better wear patterns that way and it handles well. i can't remember the load rating of the c's, but it was certainly more than enough for light to average hauling, though i was probably close, if not over when i was hauling that tractor.