Forks Paynes Forks

/ Paynes Forks #2  
They work if you rarely need forks. I bought a set and returned them as too dangerous. Stuck out too far so lift capacity was very reduced and they swiveled dangerously just when you least expected it. I got QA Woods forks and love them.

Andy

/ Paynes Forks #4  
I noticed that they had light, medium and heavy duty, which ones did you folks have? Maybe that has something to do with the like/dislike factor. I am also looking for forks. I won't need them often, still deciding between bucket forks and QA forks.

/ Paynes Forks #5  
IXLR8 said:
I noticed that they had light, medium and heavy duty, which ones did you folks have? Maybe that has something to do with the like/dislike factor. I am also looking for forks. I won't need them often, still deciding between bucket forks and QA forks.

I got the light duty set because.
A~They are lighter to lift handle and install/take off.
B~They are plenty strong enough to handle anything the BX23 Fel Can lift with out bending the forks.
C~It just didn't make sense to get the heavier medium or heavy duty forks and reduce the lift capacity of the FEL

== L B ==

/ Paynes Forks #6  
I bought a set of Sundown forks when I got my tractor, very similar to the Paynes units. As AndyMA said they do stick out quite far and reduce capacity. I use them most for moving brush and short logs etc. I could have got what they call trash forks instead and have regreted it ever since. I may palletize next years firewood so maybe they will serve me better for that.

If money isn't a prohibiting factor go for the real QA forks they will be waay more capable. Just my 2cents.
I am looking into converting to a QA setup for the loader then everything will be QA.

Ayuh

/ Paynes Forks #7  
I too have a set of paynes light duty forks and find them very usefull.
I use them to move firewood weekly, have moved logs (usually keep them around 10'), brush.
The downfall is they do tend to turn but I have never lost a load because of it.
The other downfall is you lose visibility from the fel.
I have a tooth bar and find that it stiffens the fel edge so there is less of a chance of bending.

/ Paynes Forks #8  
Matt_W said:
it.
The other downfall is you lose visibility from the fel.

Some times I stand up and peek over the bucket just enough to see the tips of the forks when they are on the ground.
For stacking at times I peer under the bucket to see where the forks are and determine where they need to go?
Have you tried either of these methods.
Usually works pretty good for me.
:cool: == L B ==:cool:

/ Paynes Forks #9  
If you have a lot of farm or used equipment auctions in your area you can maybe you can find some decent used forks to adapt. That's where I got mine. The only thing I bought new was the hooks, pins and reinforcing straps from JD.

M.D.

Attachments

• forks8.JPG
    forks8.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 333
   / Paynes Forks #10  
LBrown59 said:
Some times I stand up and peek over the bucket just enough to see the tips of the forks when they are on the ground.
For stacking at times I peer under the bucket to see where the forks are and determine where they need to go?
Have you tried either of these methods.
Usually works pretty good for me.
:cool: == L B ==:cool:

Found myself using both of those tips.
Standing up is sometimes hard because of the seat belt.
When the fel is up high enough peeking under seems to work great.
I keep my wood racks on top of pallets so that helps keep them up a little.
sometimes I tilt the forks upward or downward to align but then before you push you have to level them again.
great tips though!