pcmcia adapter for desktop computer???

/ pcmcia adapter for desktop computer???
Hey.. now that sounds pretty swift!

Soundguy

/ pcmcia adapter for desktop computer??? #12  
Here is a write up on one. Nobody offers high speed wireless out here in the hinterland, yet. When they do, it's bye bye ISDN.

/ pcmcia adapter for desktop computer??? #13  
Snowridge,

Thanks for the link. I ordered one of those KR1's today to go with a free S620 access card from Sprint. I hope to be able to dump the shared T1 line at my office by the end of the month.

I'm in the Sprint hi-speed coverage map and get 4 bars on my Sprint phone in the office, so it sounds promising. There's a 14 day trial, so little risk. I'll report back after it's up and running (or not). /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ pcmcia adapter for desktop computer??? #14  
Good to know it was useful. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ pcmcia adapter for desktop computer??? #15  
Hey, that's a cool one. I've seen several of the "stomp box" styles and a few more that were more expensinve than that one. I have a friend that has the SPRINT service and he said it works from Indiana to Philly without interruption on the tollways. His company pays about $69.00 a month for unlimited downloads. Not bad for always on where ever you are.

/ pcmcia adapter for desktop computer??? #16  
I've been looking at the coverage maps for Verizon and Sprint. I don't think we will have to wait too much longer before we can give broadband wireless a try. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ pcmcia adapter for desktop computer??? #17  
I have one that I plug into a USB port. I can then plug-in any PCMCIA card. I found mine on ebay after searching many computer stores and finding nothing similiar. I've attached a pic of one that is a different brand than mine, but similiar in design.

Attachments

• 840274-adapt.JPG
    840274-adapt.JPG
    9.5 KB · Views: 62
   / pcmcia adapter for desktop computer??? #18  
Here is another one. I still can't find a pic of the brand that I have.

Oops, thats the same one that BamaRob linked to /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Attachments

• 840282-adapt2.JPG
    840282-adapt2.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 46
   / pcmcia adapter for desktop computer???
Thanks guys.. I got his modem info and then showed him which readers were compatible.. left the rest up to him..

Soundguy

/ pcmcia adapter for desktop computer??? #20  
Well, I don't think the EVDO card + KR1 combo is going to work for me. The KR1 is on backorder, but I just cancelled it, and I will be returning the Sprint S620 card.

The best throughput I could get in my office with the S620 was about 500 kbps down and 60 up, but it was often less than 400 kbps down. That's not fast enough, especially shared through a KR1 router. The theoretical maximum is 2.4 mbps down, but that's obviously just theoretical, since I'm getting 6 bars of reception on the card (best signal).

Sprint tech support said "that's pretty good" throughput (400-500 kbps). /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif