Pearl Harbor Day

/ Pearl Harbor Day #1  

JB4310

Tractor
J.D. 4310 E-hydro
Don't know if this has been acknowledged here at all today.

December 7th 1941 "A day that will live in infamy"

It's a little late in the day but just wanted to say thanks to any of those from the greatest generation who made the sacrifices back then that gave us the freedoms we enjoy today.

/ Pearl Harbor Day #2  
x's 2.

We are loosing that generation quick, probably the last generation that will stand up as a whole with that kind of resolve. The History channel had a couple of good shows on yesterday. Yamamoto was right. they did "wake a sleeping giant".

/ Pearl Harbor Day #4  
I've only known one Pearl Harbor survivor, Walter "Duffy" Duffman. He used to come into the CPO club on the Phila. Naval Base back in the mid '70s. I believe he was aboard the USS Oklahoma BB-37 at Pearl Harbor. Duffy retired from the US Navy and then went to work for civil service. After retiring from civil servic, he worked for the state of Pennsylvania and also retired. When I knew him, he was quite elderly, but still working for the city of Phila. He always said he wanted to live to be old enough to be a quadruple dipper, drawing four pension checks.:D

God bless Duffy! I'm sure he's gone now, but I've heard many of his hair-raising stories of the morning of Dec 7, 1942.

/ Pearl Harbor Day #5  
Better late than never.

Attachments

• Pearl Harbor.jpg
    Pearl Harbor.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 2,083
   / Pearl Harbor Day #6  
I agree with Western's comments on the generation standing together. It was my parent's generation and it is still amazing to think of the things they went through, the lives they had, and the values they had.

/ Pearl Harbor Day
I don't know, when that generation is gone and we (as well as future generations) stop hearing those stories around the dinner table, it starts to become just ancient history. something that you only hear about in a book or on the history channel.
I wonder if it will really be a date that lives in infamy or just become a blip in history.

The one vet I knew that was involved with Pearl harbor was a funny old recluse named Mr. Spring, we all did odd jobs for him around his property for soda money. The storey he'd tell us was that he was a band leader on a ship with 20 years already in the Navy, was ready to retire when his ship was entering/just outside of pearl harbor the day of the attack. His ship had to turn around and became one of the first responders, he would grumble that he got stuck in the Navy another few years.

/ Pearl Harbor Day #8  
I don't know, when that generation is gone and we (as well as future generations) stop hearing those stories around the dinner table, it starts to become just ancient history. something that you only hear about in a book or on the history channel.
I wonder if it will really be a date that lives in infamy or just become a blip in history.

The way they are rewriting history it may not even be a blip.

/ Pearl Harbor Day #9  
Went to a Navy Holiday get together. One of the fellers there had pictures of his father in the Navy. He was a deep sea diver, and was at Pearl Harbor the day the Japanese attacked. His father survived, and served in the Pacific theater during WWII. He was stationed on surface ships, as well as a submarine. His father was also at the surrender, and had pictures of that. My buddy had a somewhat famous picture at the surrender of a sailor strattling the large gun barrel on the ship. That was his father. A picture one of his father's friends took. His dad made it through the entire war, in the Pacific. Amazing, just amazing.....Pearl Harbor to the surrender.