Peening on new tooth

/ Peening on new tooth #1  

centex

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4700
I am having some trouble getting new teeth peened on to my backhoe bucket. The metal is pretty thick and the tooth is loose enough that even when I get both sides peened to the bottom of the dished out area on the shank, the tooth is still too loose. I am doing some pretty tough work and I have lost two teeth in a week. I took the bucket off and worked on a anvil but it is kind of hard on an old guy like me to hold up a 150# buckt and still use a punch and hammer. It would be nice if there was some kind of tool (hydraulic or compound leverage) that could squeeze both sides of the tooth at the same time. With all the tooth bars out there some one must have worked this out by now.

/ Peening on new tooth #2  
well i dont know exactly what style teeth you have, but are you heating them before ya peen them? thats the way i always did it and never had a problem. i was lazy and tried to replace one cold once and it didnt work at all, backhoe teeth are very tough steel. so if ya arnt heating them then i would try that, i believe thats how you are supposed to do it, but none of mine ever came with instructions i dont think, if they did i never read them. once hot they should dimple right in with a round nosed punch or an old bolt and a hammer

/ Peening on new tooth #3  
A question on that line what demensions do I need to buy a tooth and are all brands the same as in Case, JD ect.

Thanks

mikell

/ Peening on new tooth #4  
I followed the lead of the previous owner of my box blade and peened the teeth on with 1/8'' 6011 at 75 amps. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Peening on new tooth #5  
When I replaced a tooth on my backhoe, I heated both sides of the tooth, then used a vice-grip welding clamp to squeaze the sides together. The tooth is still tight after 6 months of use.

/ Peening on new tooth
I knew you guys would have this figured out. I should have thought about using heat but I just dumbly followed the JD instructions.

/ Peening on new tooth
When I went to my JD dealer to but the teeth they had to know what backhoe and bucket I had. A second JD dealer asked the same questions but these were both Ag equipment dealers and they do not deal with bucket teeth very often. One was the largest JD dealer in this area and they said they only sold 15 of the 4X backhoes in a year. I suspect that if you take the old tooth to a dealer who handles construction equipment (any brand) they can pull one of stock for you. I did not have the old tooth since it was under a pile of dirt somewhere.

/ Peening on new tooth #8  
so ya mean the JD instructions dont say to use heat? it seems like it would be a near impossible task without heat, of course maybe on a small bucket tooth it would be possible. some of the bucket teeth i installed were so heavy ya had to hold them up with a forklift or the overhead crane. those you would have needed a heck of a hammer to do cold, but when hot you could easily smack it with a 2lb hammer and an old bolt that was ground to a rounded point. worked great and i dont know of any i installed that ever fell off. i never heard of doing them cold, nor have i ever considered it, but i suppose with enough grunt it is possible, but i think when you have them hot they shrink a bit as they cool and realy tighten down good on the shank. so if ya have a torch heat them up and i am sure you will be happy with the results.