Peer review/help for BX size tractor as multipurpose yard tractor

/ Peer review/help for BX size tractor as multipurpose yard tractor #21  
No there were other models - I used a BX22 that had the jerky hydro pedal - just had to learn to have a little control with your foot. That was the model out when the BX2200 was out.

Jeepnut,

I'm not saying don't get the little tractor. Just saying you may want to check in with B2630 and B3030 owners to see what they say about their machines packing down their lawns, etc. Heck, Lawn King makes a living doing landscaping, finish mowing, etc, and has had a few B series and now a GL series. He'd be a good resource to tap regarding your concerns.

Now, none of that is necessary if you are dead set on buying a second machine. But maybe $7k in additional implements would be nice for your B3200, or $3k in implements and $4k in the bank. Maybe not, and a second machine is a better option for you. Just throwing out some additional things to think about.

But if you end up with a second machine, I'm not saying I don't want to see pics of the 2 machines sitting side by side. :cool:

/ Peer review/help for BX size tractor as multipurpose yard tractor #22  
OK....I've found a BX2350 near me for $7000 with 54" mower, and low hours. I've read nothing but good about the BX2200's, but seem to recall something about the HST forward and reverse having "issues" on other models. Is this BX2350 just as good a tractor as the 2200? If not, which "newer" BX model would compare to the 2200. Not the NEW BX models, but newer than 2002 I guess I should say. This BX2350 I found is a 2005 model I believe.

Any of the versions seem to be highly regarded with a reputation for longevity and reliability. It appears you really can't go wrong with any model.

There is little difference between the BX2200and the BX2230. The changes if I'm not mistaken, are related to the loader valve.

The change from the BX2230 to the BX2350 was a major re-design. There is a long list of changes from the BX2230 to the BX2350. I think all except the "abrupt reverse stop" issue and possibly the plastic bodywork (depends on your personal perspective) are considered improvements. Some find the abrupt stop to be a major deficiency, others regard it as a minor annoyance. Try it for yourself. There were several problems that arose in this model. All but the abrupt stop were resolved in the later production units and the upgrades were covered by warranty for the earlier units. These were essentially on demand updates so check to see if the upgrades were made and if not made, evaluate the significance to you. Most of these were minor and involved such as fit of the radiator screen to the cowl and loose plastic covers on the control levers. One of significance was the floor reinforcement to eliminate the "Cracking rear fender".

The BX2360 has apparently resolved the abrupt reverse stop and has returned to metal bodywork. Otherwise the same as the 2350. The BX2660 adds a little more Hp (1.5??) and a LazyBoy Reclining seat.

/ Peer review/help for BX size tractor as multipurpose yard tractor #23  
As you already have the B3200, you don't really need a full sized BX. I agree with Keith that a BX1500 would make a good complement to the B series tractor. Keith is right about the mower, but still, the 54 inch deck will do fine. You will need to find one used. Blackmajicwoman has several threads of his BX1500 with a Woods backhoe digging trenches as well as digging up big rocks and stumps. It's quite a little workhorse.

An alternate thought is to just go with a ZTR if this second unit is primarily for the lawn. A good Kubota ZTR will outperform almost anything on the turf.

/ Peer review/help for BX size tractor as multipurpose yard tractor #24  
*As you already have the B3200, you don't really need a full sized BX.
1*I agree with Keith that a BX1500 would make a good complement to the B series tractor.
2*Keith is right about the mower, but still, the 54 inch deck will do fine.
3*It's quite a little workhorse.
* I agree.
1*Sure would.
2*A 54''MMM is as big as you can get for the BX1500 but that should be close enough.
I would not go with a larger BX simply to get a 60 '' MMM.
3*The 1500s sure are.

/ Peer review/help for BX size tractor as multipurpose yard tractor
Good suggestions and thoughts....one and all....and I appreciate you taking the time to help....Thanks!

I have about 10-12,000 sq./ft of lawn to mow...and being in the mountains, it slopes from the front of the house to the rear around and thru trees. I lanscaped and layed the sod ....and tried to make it as even as possible. The 3200 is a bit much for my Home lawn. Now....the 5 acres behind me is another story. I'm building a barn, stables, and 4 board fence. I need to bury a couple of LARGE storage tanks for water reclaimation to be used in irrigation. I need to bring down the level of a bank for the stables to be built. Also need to "level" some of the pasture area where I cut some trees to be stumped. "Till" up some large garden plots....and finally.....clean up around the creek banks where the beetles layed some pines down for me!

The 3200, in my mind, is the best tractor for all I have planned. I could use the L and have a little more FEL grunt....but I still feel the B model is the best mate to this property. After this 5 acres is to my liking, I might trade up in a few years for a larger L or M for the larger parcels...and keep the BX to handle both home and mini farm duties.

As far as the 3200 goes...I'm gonna' work it and don't plan to do alot of swapping of implements for a while during this property restoration. The BX2200 will certainly handle my Home lawn duties with cutting, aerating, fertilizer spreading, and spraying. Plus...I still have pallets of mid-sized boulders to place in my landscape....and this BX will be nimble enough and small enough to get in all the tight spaces. In one area....I used a walk-behind Bobcat to set stones....because that was the only thing small enough to pass thru the opening between my building and retaining wall. This BX will fit thru nicely.

I'm certainly not lazy and I enjoy the work. But,... I want to get all this work done and be as productive as I can with the limited time that I have. Both tractors will have downtime I know, but for me....it will really be nice to be able to leave the 3200 setup for certain tasks....and the other for daily/weekly routine yard maintenance. I've been working "myself" on this place for 4 yrs now....and with 2 young children, I need all the productivity gains I can get! :) I've had a habit of working all day and night, and I'm ready to speed up the process and spend more time with my 3 girls. :) They want a mini and I do mean "mini" farm....mini goats, hens, horses,... miniature! And if I don't hurry up, they will be wanting a mini car...so I've got my sights set and my boots ready! lol

I might ask some or all of you to weigh in on some prices tomorrow if you have time. Some of the dealers I talked with today have quite a few BX2200's on their lots....and other sub-compacts....and they point-blank said they need to sell them....so I feel the prices will be very attractive. I'll be posting some prices and model options tomorrow.

Thanks for listening. I've got a plan, but I am listening to every suggestion "you all" offer, and again...I appreciate you taking the time to offer them. That's why I joined this forum.

Jeff

/ Peer review/help for BX size tractor as multipurpose yard tractor #26  
A new BX2350 landed last summer and my first response was that I wondered why it took me so long to get something of this quality and versatility. I tried to find one CUT that would do 90% of what I need doing. At issue for me is trying to figure which ten percent I can mostly do without. I am more than satisfied with this critter.

For those who have said that there is no fix for the harsh stop when coming out of reverse, they are only half right. I am given to understand that internally the HST has only eight different parts when comparing the 50-series with the 60-series. Kubota refused to pay for swapping out those parts inasmuch it would have meant a major tear-down. The external linkage is also different. I worked it out with my dealer and the area rep for Kubota to replace the external linkage at no charge. It solved most but not all of the problem. I'm fine with the way it is. If I had purchased the unit this way (meaning with the new linkage) I could easily have lived with the level of abruptness it now has and simply feather out of reverse when in high range. In all honesty I would trade now only if I needed, say, a B-series unit. The plastic hood and deck isn't an issue with me. YMMV.

I mow about two acres and the loader is a god-send. This unit is a joy to use. It is comfortable and it fits me well.

We live in Adams Center NY, near the Tug Hill Plateau, off the eastern end of Lake Ontario. This year we received over 220 inches of snow (Barnes Corners, just 11 miles east, received over 300 inches). This stuff dwarfs walk-behind snow throwers. I got lucky a month ago and found a used Loftness 48" 3PH snow thrower. What a beast.

Yeah, I'd like a B3200. I would also like a decent American economy and world peace.

Doug

---------------

BX2350, rear hydraulics, FEL, 54" MMM, Markham tooth bar, Redland Hill Handi-hitch, Kodiak 5" landscape rake (used), Loftness 48" 3ph snow thrower with hyd chute rotator (used), BushHog 48" tiller. Next: Kubota grass bagger. After that: Curtis cab.

/ Peer review/help for BX size tractor as multipurpose yard tractor #27  
For those who have said that there is no fix for the harsh stop when coming out of reverse, they are only half right. I am given to understand that internally the HST has only eight different parts when comparing the 50-series with the 60-series. Kubota refused to pay for swapping out those parts inasmuch it would have meant a major tear-down. The external linkage is also different. I worked it out with my dealer and the area rep for Kubota to replace the external linkage at no charge. It solved most but not all of the problem. I'm fine with the way it is. If I had purchased the unit this way (meaning with the new linkage) I could easily have lived with the level of abruptness it now has and simply feather out of reverse when in high range.

Can you provide any details on what your dealer did to the external linkage?

Does it physically slow the pedal from returning to the neutral position?

/ Peer review/help for BX size tractor as multipurpose yard tractor #28  
I'd be interested in the linkage details as well.
As far as the BX tractors go, I really love the new B tractors but common sense prevailed and I keep the BX2350 for awhile longer. For 99% of what I do it works great and never disappoints except the abrupt reverse. Make sure you get the new seat as I waited until this week to get mine thinking it wasn't a big deal. Night and day difference in the tractor. I'm an idiot for not getting it sooner and my dealer was nice enough to just trade even with me.
As many say you'll run out of traction before you run out of power on most jobs. The 60"mower works excellent and cuts grass as high as a foot tall without slowing down. I had a small brushhog that I sold because the mower works better as long as you know where the rocks are. I've plowed 18" of snow with R4 tires (loaded) and no chains with no problems. If I could fix the reverse deal It would be perfect for my needs. Then maybe I'd stop casting a wandering eye to that new "B" everytime I go to the dealer.

/ Peer review/help for BX size tractor as multipurpose yard tractor #29  
....it will really be nice to be able to leave the 3200 setup for certain tasks....and the other for daily/weekly routine yard maintenance.
Jeff
Sorta the way I have my 3 set up.
It is nice not to have to play musical attachments.

/ Peer review/help for BX size tractor as multipurpose yard tractor #30  
A Bx1500 (two cylinder), or Bx1830 (3 cylinder, 18hp) are the two most affordable used models. I have found them in the 6K range without FEL's. I have the Bx2230, and it is excellent for mowing (54"MMM), bagging with the Kubota powerflow bagger, and even lawn striping. Want to landscape the yard? No problem, just put on the rototiller or box blade. Any Bx treads lightly on lawns with the turf tires. I have two sets of tires mounted on rims. One set are bar tires, and the other set are turfs. In 2-wd with turf tires, the Bx turns sharply. In fact it is easier to turn than my Craftsman riding mower becuase of the power steering. Yeah, the 'ol Craftsman hasn't seen much action lately.
Best of luck to you!

Aside from the paperwork and logistics, the B3200 is a done deal. I will use it for pasture duties, fence work, stone work, large garden plowing and such. The more I have been thinking and researching....I think I could benefit more by having a smaller BX model for my grass cutting around the house, yard spraying, mulch moving, and other landscape work. My 3200 will have FEL and BH, but I could use a FEL on this smaller BX as well. The B3200 might be a little too heavy for my yard work around my house....and my scag is limited to only cutting grass. So I've been thinking of selling the scag, and using a BX to accomplish more tasks.

There are so many models from year to year, but I'm trying to keep my cost low to justify the swap. I've been looking at the BX2200 and it seems to be perfect for what I need. Mower deck, 4x4, and the ability to add a FEL. I've also looked at the B1710.

-->For grass cutting, aerating, seed and fertilizer spreading, mulch moving and general "around the house" maintenance.....which BX or older B model would you suggest while keeping my initial cost low?

-->I prefer the HST for this tractor as well.

As always...many thanks for offering your help and suggestions.

Jeff