Pennzoil Ultra Platinum.

/ Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. #1  

WilliamBos

Tractor
MF 1635 12x12 Powershuttle
Been trying different brands of synthetics in my Ram, thinking about giving PUP a try.

Who has used it? Whats the concensus?

https://www.pennzoil.com/en_ca/products/full-synthetic-motor-oils/pennzoil-ultra-platinum.html

Last edited:
   / Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. #2  
Haven't heard of PUP until your post. But I use Pennzoil Platinum synthetic 10W30 in all my small engines as well as my SuperDuty ('99) and Crown Vic (99). I really don't know what to say other than my stuff is still running without burning oil.

/ Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. #3  
I’ve used the ultra platinum it’s good stuff. Big huge thread about that oil on ramforum.com I’ve gone 10,000 miles between oil changes with BlackStone Laboratories oil sample, saying there was enough life left in the oil to go 18,000 miles between changes.

/ Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. #4  
I burn 0W-40 full syn.Amsoil/Redline oil in my 6.4 Hemis.Just never been a fan of pennzoil.Personal preference.

/ Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. #5  
I know that everyone has a preference, but any modern API certified oil is good. That being said, I have always liked Penzoil and Quaker State oils. For some reason I feel like my trucks are always quieter with either of those oils. The last time I ran it though, it was just Platinum. And it sheared quiet a bit in my F150. It could easily do 5-7K mile changes, but seemed to thicken after that. I never tested it, but it was noticeable when I changed it out. I often ran a 5w-30 in that truck (V6) instead of the 5w20. M1 0w-30 would be the opposite and pour out like water.

I've gone the Amsoil route too, mostly out of convenience, but also because I'm a big fan of their grease and ATF. Which is their star player that sits in the shadows.

/ Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. #6  
It will work...but you won't be able to tell a difference

/ Pennzoil Ultra Platinum.
Thanks. Only curious as it was on sale at CDN Tire. Amsoil XL can be had for less $$, will go that route.

I burn 0W-40 full syn.Amsoil/Redline oil in my 6.4 Hemis.Just never been a fan of pennzoil.Personal preference.

/ Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. #8  
I know that everyone has a preference, but any modern API certified oil is good. That being said, I have always liked Penzoil and Quaker State oils. For some reason I feel like my trucks are always quieter with either of those oils. The last time I ran it though, it was just Platinum. And it sheared quiet a bit in my F150. It could easily do 5-7K mile changes, but seemed to thicken after that. I never tested it, but it was noticeable when I changed it out. I often ran a 5w-30 in that truck (V6) instead of the 5w20. M1 0w-30 would be the opposite and pour out like water.

I've gone the Amsoil route too, mostly out of convenience, but also because I'm a big fan of their grease and ATF. Which is their star player that sits in the shadows.

What makes you have a favorite oil. I do not understand how you pick one. I have never heard of a confirmed story of failure of oil leading to premature engine failure if it is changed regularly and topped off if needed.

/ Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. #9  
It's kinda like marriage. You pick one, and if it is working okay, you stay with it.:D

/ Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. #10  
What makes you have a favorite oil. I do not understand how you pick one. I have never heard of a confirmed story of failure of oil leading to premature engine failure if it is changed regularly and topped off if needed.

I think it gives people something to do. Unless you have a worn out engine that you supplement with some higher viscosity oil, a change of oil brand or base materials won't make a difference in the engine that even NASA could detect. People will say things like "smoother" but unless you have collapsing lifters that only pump up with heavier weight oil, low compression that enjoys heavier weight oil on the cylinder walls, or just bearings so worn out that you dont have strong oil pressure unless you run heavy oil, you just won't feel a difference.