People with 3 pt hoes/ TLB's

/ People with 3 pt hoes/ TLB's #11  
A used excavator for that price will do a better job than a backhoe for most of the tasks you mention. The only advantage to a backhoe is more portability getting out to the back 40. Yes you may pick up a few jobs but where I live it seems everyone has an excavating business so jobs are few and far between. I didn't get a BH when I bought my first tractor and within a few years saw the error of my ways and went lookng for one for my tractor. Price is much higher after the fact than at first purchase. Ended up finding that an excavator made more sense to me. I will concur though that you NEED one or the other. You only live once.

/ People with 3 pt hoes/ TLB's #12  
I held off buying mine for several years until I needed a septic system. They wanted between $8500 and $10,000 to install one. I bought the hoe and material for $9000 and installed it myself. I figure it paid for itself in that one application and I've used it for trenching and digging stumps as well. I have and will have more trenching and stump digging to do over the years so if it sits in the barn for months --- it's there when I want it.

/ People with 3 pt hoes/ TLB's #13  
That price seems awfully high. Are you sure of it?

I got the subframe mount bh with the tractor in Dec. BH added $6000 but I got a $2k discount because it was a demo. I really cannot justify it from a pure $ and cents point of view but I will get a TON of work done that I would not have otherwise completed (and I likely would never have bothered to rent). If in the end I find it is sitting, I will sell it. I figure it will take 3 years to get my work done, so after that I bet I could get $4000 for sure so the investment would not be that bad really. I also think it will add value to the tractor if I ever do have to sell it as a package.

Also, I have a couple of neighbours who are already bugging me to do some work for them so it may actually pay for itself.

/ People with 3 pt hoes/ TLB's #14  
Mine came with my tractor. I've used it clean ditches, put in water lines for gardens, reset culverts etc. Handy to have but in reality it doesn't get used much.

For the tasks you describe I would say the biggest shortcoming is reach. You also need to be able to put the stabilizers down. Sometimes you can maneuver in but can't get the feet down. An 8 foot hoe will dig an 8 foot trench, but only right below the tractor, this makes for slow going. I'm thinking excavator or maybe a industrial backhoe with extenda-hoe or something.

/ People with 3 pt hoes/ TLB's
10-14k is what deere list canadian for a 110 tlb hoe. Im kinda going for a prepare for the worst hope for the best price scenario. LOL... i would never pay that but if i can justify spending 10-14k then actually spending 6-8k makes me look good to the wife hahah. Now that Ive been thinking of it the list of stuff that me (and my family) need Im pretty sure I can justify it. Now someone mentioned a compact excavator. Ive rented many of them before and I love them but have never looked into their price. Im guessing with a 110 TLB a comparable hoe would be a 3 ton? Any one have a clue on what they range from in price? Probably the wrong forum to ask but I think its more curiosity then anything.

Thanks for all the replies.

/ People with 3 pt hoes/ TLB's #16  
I have related question. I saw advertised three point BHs but my dealer warned me that if I pull the screws holding the top link from the tractor it will not be covered by warranty. He said that I need subframe mounted one but it seems to me that they are much more money. My tractor is TYM 330 and has about 4 years of warranty left. What is the experience with three point mounted BHs. Should I spent the money for subframe mounted?

/ People with 3 pt hoes/ TLB's #17  
For me at least one of my tractors needs to have a hoe. I've had one on my last four machines. Where I am with all the rocks and roots I use it all the time to dig and also just loosen the surface. I also level with it. Many time I loosen and derock an area before tilling. I woud definately say a tractor for me without a hoe would be close to useless. Renting one definately doesn't work as I need to jump on and off the hoe during the entire course of a project.
Andy

/ People with 3 pt hoes/ TLB's #18  
If you get down to just plain $$$, it's probably cheaper to have someone do it or rent one when you need it.

BUT having one sitting there lets you do more fun things that wouldn't be done if you had to go out each time and pay for it.

I've put 400 hours on my B21 in the six years I've had it. Actually right now I'm thinking about a mini excavator. I enjoy those sorts of projects. Of course, it helps to be retired :)

Ken

/ People with 3 pt hoes/ TLB's #19  
Redneck -- do a search for 3pt hoes vs. subframe and after reading the volumes of threads on the subject....I believe you'll come to the conclusion, like I did, that a subframe (at any cost) is the only way to go. After using mine on stumps....it was very obvious that I needed that extra support.

/ People with 3 pt hoes/ TLB's #20  
I also had a question on the ease of removal of install. I use the boxblade all the time.How much of a pain is it to take it on or off a lot??