Perkins A4.248 in a MF 3060 cold start question

/ Perkins A4.248 in a MF 3060 cold start question #11  
It is rare that a diesel is good enough to start below 30 with out assist. Some need it more then others and won't start much below 40 or 50.

That's surprising. Our oldest, highest-hour diesels all start in the 20's.

40 or 50? If that were the case we'd have no time to repair or maintain anything...we'd spend all day going from jobsite to jobsite just to get stuff running!

That said, Perkin's stuff doesn't like the cold much at all. Without starting aids, they won't go much below 30. And while their fuel-dribbling-into-the-intake-to-light-a-fire system does work, getting unfamiliar users to properly perform the starting drill is a tough sell. Especially when everything else on site fires up without any special devices or instructions...

/ Perkins A4.248 in a MF 3060 cold start question #12  
I was going to say.. I know the system, and its horrible. Use a small snort of ether to start the engine or install a heater. Either a block heater for the cooling system or an oil heater.

Wait, which injection pump does it have??? and what hp is it?
Another though is to look at the cylinder head close to the injectors and see if there is a plug screwed into it. That would be where the glowplugs go. More than likely, all the cylinder heads are the same, and if it was assembled without G.P., they just screw plugs into the hole. Glowplug assist would be more expensive than a block heater, but glowplugs would allow you to park it outside away from a power source..
Contrary to popular belief, ether doesnt hurt an engine... WHEN USED PROPERLY. Problems arise when engines get hosed down with it as a remedy for other mechanical issues. And when people use it wrong. When set up properly, it only injects a nozzled down burst after the engine reaches a minimum crank speed.
I have seen the results of a Perkapillar that got an air cleaner full of ether, THEN they starter spinning it over. Blows the head gasket every time.