Perkins AD3-152 most common oil leaks?

/ Perkins AD3-152 most common oil leaks? #11  
Perkins generally leak from any area that is supposed to retain fluids to any surface below the engine.

(sorry, sometimes I simply cannot help myself)

I'll forgive you this time, even though I don't buy into that theory, based on the fact my 150 hasn't had any leaks other than a bad primary lift pump diaphram in the 40+ years since new..... ;)

The common leaky oil pan gaskets is a built in method of cycling oil through the Perkins 3-cylinders....Otherwise no one would EVER need to do ANYTHING to 'em....:)

/ Perkins AD3-152 most common oil leaks?
So what happens when the power steering fails? When I look at the system it looks like the PS apparatus is just there to provide a "boost" to the mechanical components, right? So if it fails you just have a tractor with hard steering, not a tractor that can't be steered. Right? I can live without PS, but not if it means the tractor becomes unusable.

/ Perkins AD3-152 most common oil leaks? #13  
G'day Elkins45.
I would go part way to agreeing with farmwithjunk.
The most common leaks on the 100 and 200 series masseys were, the fuel lift pump number one,the fuel injector pump both the pump cover gasket and the stop and throttle shaft "O" rings and occasionally the pump shaft seals leak this would be evident if the engine oil level INCREASED.

As said the sump gaskets but not as common as the front and rear CORK seals on the sump pan,the only leak on the timing cover comes from around the area where the power steering pump bolts on.
The two hundred series has a double lip seal on the rear of the crankshaft and is generally quite reliable,the front crankshaft seal was modified and has a moulded spiral on the seal I beleive the theory is to SCREW the oil back along the shaft !!rather than let it leak out.

The power steering ,
The power steering when working properly is an excellent and reliable system giving good positive control under all conditions, things to look out for is as said if the tractor has had a loader fitted at some time the front axle pivot pin and bushes tend to wear out so have a good look at the front axle housing where the bushes are fitted ,make sure the bushes have not worn through and damaged the casting,replacing the pin and bushes is not to difficult a job.
The power steering transmitter valve situated under the bonnet behind the battery quite often leaks again not to difficult to repair ,a genuine kit will cost about 50 dollars or a new valve about 500 dollars Genuine part, you will notice the steering wheel/column telescopes in and out/up and down when you turn the wheel this is normal ,this is how the power steering READS the direction of travel.

Yes the steering can be used without power steering but when you are used to the power steering you will find yourself fixing it before to long.

The power steering ram seals are replaceable and again not to hard to replace ,they can be bought from your local Seal supplier ,just take the samples and they will match them up ,if available I would replace the original seals with VITON They last forever and can stand the heat a lot better.
When all this is done don,t forget to change the power steering filter ,inside the reservoir ,fill with atf ,Dexron 2 etc,etc bleed by slowly turning the steering fully both ways a few times to expel all air in the system, Important when filling the reservoir only fill to the BOTTOM of the threads this leaves room for the oil to expand.
Hope this goes aways to help answer your questions.
happy days.

Hutch.