Perkins air in fuel

/ Perkins air in fuel
*Update*

Put the new lift pump on, purged the line to the filter of air, tightened everything down, and after maybe 5-10 seconds of cranking, she fired right up, sounding back to normal. No bubbles in the sight tank, smooth idle, and no problems after probably 45min of running. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions!

/ Perkins air in fuel #22  
Good going! glad you got the Massey going, i just came in from getting the loader pump fixed on my ford 3000...

It's been a good day for getting a couple 2 wheel drive utility tractors going again:thumbsup:

/ Perkins air in fuel #23  
Thanks for finishing the thread, Good Job :thumbsup:

/ Perkins air in fuel
Good going! glad you got the Massey going, i just came in from getting the loader pump fixed on my ford 3000...

It's been a good day for getting a couple 2 wheel drive utility tractors going again:thumbsup:

Nice! I have my eye on another 2wd utility tractor up the road (Ford 961 diesel) :D

/ Perkins air in fuel
Thanks for finishing the thread, Good Job :thumbsup:

Yeah, I hate it when I follow a thread and never hear what the final fix was! Luckily this one was easy. The good thing was that I learned a lot about the system, and it made me dig into the manuals....never hurts :)

/ Perkins air in fuel #26  
Hoping to have similar luck this afternoon. Having almost identical problem with mf30 industrial model after getting harder to start and then deciding to change fuel filters . Have been fighting with what appears to be air in system for several weekends changing and checking filters (again), replacing sealing olives, testing fuel pipes and bleeding gallons of diesel. No visible leaks but tractor looses prime after 10 minutes or 100 yards of driving and not responding to throttle properly. Lift pump was pressurizing system but when pulling bleeder on top of primary filter fuel would begin to bubble when working lift pump quickly. Operating lift pump slowly the fuel looked clean without bubbles. Going ahead with new lift pump today and will report back. Would appreciate any additional ideas or suggestions. Thanks!

/ Perkins air in fuel #27  
nice job. I have a 1966 MF-50C that has been giving me similar problems. All the folks that replied to your thread have given me lots of things to try. This is a great place for sharing info. I’m very new to the world of diesel motors. Old hotrodder but limited knowledge of tractors. buy the my Massey has a 10 yr old Perkins 4.236 and I’m having a heck of a time finding the air filter for it.

/ Perkins air in fuel #28  
Garrett66 anything here you can use?

is it like this?Air Cleaner, Oil Bath - For tractor models (50 industrial, 165 with AD4.203 or A4.212 Perkins engine), (765 with AD4.203 Perkins engine), (168, 175 with A4.236 Perkins engine), (178, 185, 188 with A4.248 Perkins engine). Replaces 898390M1, 898390M91 (Part No: 898390M1)
Order Toll Free
(800) 853-2651
(Mon-Fri)

willy

/ Perkins air in fuel #29  
Had same problem with Kubota and found replacing lift pump was the cure. They can be troublesome and at first glance appear to be an air leak somewhere. Not super expensive, so I replaced it and it solved my problem.

/ Perkins air in fuel #30  
Garrett66 anything here you can use?

is it like this?Air Cleaner, Oil Bath - For tractor models (50 industrial, 165 with AD4.203 or A4.212 Perkins engine), (765 with AD4.203 Perkins engine), (168, 175 with A4.236 Perkins engine), (178, 185, 188 with A4.248 Perkins engine). Replaces 898390M1, 898390M91 (Part No: 898390M1)
Order Toll Free
(800) 853-2651
(Mon-Fri)

willy
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the air filter that is in the tractor sits horizontally, is a dry two stage. outer and inner filters measure roughly 12”L x 5.25“OD x 3”ID and 11”L x 3” OD respectivery. Any other thoughts