Perma-Chink for deck stain?

/ Perma-Chink for deck stain? #11  
@Snobdds I agree. I prefer oak for trailer decks.

All the best,

Peter

/ Perma-Chink for deck stain? #13  
Sounds like I should have spent more and be done with it for the composite material LOL
Yup, that's just one of those things.
Years ago I needed to build a small "deck" to act as a base for a 10x15 Lifetime shed. I expected it to last 10 years (being plastic).
So I went to Home Depot and they had some of the "new" composite stuff. But they had mistakenly priced it just slightly less than PT 2x6.
So I bought some.
It was another "butt-kicker" mistake.
Came back a few days later and it was priced like now.
Should have bought all my van could carry.
That little deck is still almost as good as new.
(When I make buying mistakes like that my leg hurts from kicking my butt)

/ Perma-Chink for deck stain?
Yup, that's just one of those things.
Years ago I needed to build a small "deck" to act as a base for a 10x15 Lifetime shed. I expected it to last 10 years (being plastic).
So I went to Home Depot and they had some of the "new" composite stuff. But they had mistakenly priced it just slightly less than PT 2x6.
So I bought some.
It was another "butt-kicker" mistake.
Came back a few days later and it was priced like now.
Should have bought all my van could carry.
That little deck is still almost as good as new.
(When I make buying mistakes like that my leg hurts from kicking my butt)
The price difference between the lumber vs composite was enough to buy a brand new car. When I'm pulling money out to pay for it, I become a little more cheaper.

EDIT - In my defense, my wife agreed wholeheartedly.

Last edited:
   / Perma-Chink for deck stain? #15  
The price difference between the lumber vs composite was enough to buy a brand new car. When I'm pulling money out to pay for it, I become a little more cheaper.

EDIT - In my defense, my wife agreed wholeheartedly.

When I see lots of competing solutions all about the same cost, my thought is that either none of products work especially better (or at all). If there is a spectrum of prices, either someone has really good marketing, or there are real differences.

If there were a low cost ideal deck material, I think that we would all be using it. I think that there are performance pros and cons to decking material, and not many folks have unlimited budgets, so price matters as well as performance.

Marital happiness happens to be an important item to many of us, too.

I wouldn't sweat it. Work with what you have and move on.

All the best,

Peter

/ Perma-Chink for deck stain? #16  
Most PT wood I've seen looks like culls from the saw mill. If it's for sill plates or pier post type use, it doesn't matter so much as it's under compression and with an entire house on top of it, structural strength shouldn't be an issue.
Most decks with PT lumber I've seen laying boards flat look terrible with twisting, cupping, and curling up ends.

/ Perma-Chink for deck stain?
I wouldn't sweat it. Work with what you have and move on.
Believe me, I'm not beating myself up over it 😉

To us it's a very large deck, and if you remember my thread on when we were having it replaced, the reality is we don't consider ourselves "deck people". However the deck does seem to be an integral part of the home, my wife does hang clothes out there, and we've decided since we spent some money on replacing it, we bought some smaller outdoor furniture to actually spend time and eat out there weather permitting.

When we decide to sell as the place is it's to large for us now and we buy or build a single level ranch (with a breezway LOL), I could see spending the money on something much smaller with composite, all things considered now.

I just mention the breezway because my neighbor has one, and I'm surprised that even in the summer, it's actually a very nice place to hang out and shoot the crap with them.

Last edited:
   / Perma-Chink for deck stain? #18  
TWP (total wood protection) is also a quality stain brand how ever this being horizontal wood it's going to take a beating.

I have used permachink lifetime accents, water based stain (because I couldn't get oil based) on the trim for my cabin this year.

PermAchink lifetime accents trim with TWP 1500 series dark oak.

Attachments

• 20231118_121119.jpg
    20231118_121119.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16