PERSISTENT TURBO BLOWING ON MF 480 XTRA.

/ PERSISTENT TURBO BLOWING ON MF 480 XTRA. #1  

scrowoash

Tractor
Mssey ferguson 480 xtra
Hi Evryone,

We are operating 2 MF 480 Xtra tractors here and both tractors have gone through 5 turbo chargers between them in 1 year! Other than improper operation i.e: not doing proper start up and shut down idling procedures, what can be causing this? Any other MF 480 owners out there with similar problems?
One thing i have noticed is the lack of a wastegate in the system. We have checked EVERYTHING and even changed the oil pump and relief valve. I give up! The last turbo fitted 2 months ago lasted 3 weeks!
They are currently parked as we evaluate the situation. They have done 5500 hours and 5300 hours respectively. The one with 5300 hours has just been overhauled because it was smoking badly. when we stripped, we found the oil rings completely worn with the compression rings still having serviceable ring gaps.

Any one out there who can help please!

Thank You.

Scrowoash.

/ PERSISTENT TURBO BLOWING ON MF 480 XTRA. #2  
More info please. Have you had these tractors from new?
Have they been serviced "by the book " or nonstandard intervals?
What were the hours when the first turbo failed?
Regular operators, or anyone?

/ PERSISTENT TURBO BLOWING ON MF 480 XTRA.
More info please. Have you had these tractors from new?
Have they been serviced "by the book " or nonstandard intervals?
What were the hours when the first turbo failed?
Regular operators, or anyone?

We bought the farm and the tractors came with the purchase. Regular servicing has been done when we took over but not strictly to the book, probably closer to 500 hour intervals as opposed to 250.
The first turbo failed at 2821 hours and these have been used by regular operators. Now and again an operator is changed due to absenteeism.
The real grey area for me is how these tractors ran before we took them over.

/ PERSISTENT TURBO BLOWING ON MF 480 XTRA. #4  
How do they fail? Checked that both pressure and return pipe are clean? Measured oil pressure?

/ PERSISTENT TURBO BLOWING ON MF 480 XTRA. #5  
Did all 5 turbo's fail the same way, or are there different types of failure ie vanes striking the housing , scored turbine shaft.

/ PERSISTENT TURBO BLOWING ON MF 480 XTRA. #6  
Did all 5 turbo's fail the same way, or are there different types of failure ie vanes striking the housing , scored turbine shaft.
I would add is there an issue with the rebuilt/replacement turbo. The turbo that came with the tractor could have lasted, then now you are just chasing issues with getting poorly rebuilt turbo's I have run in to it.

/ PERSISTENT TURBO BLOWING ON MF 480 XTRA. #7  
I wonder if you checked the oil return as somene else said and did you check to see if oil cooler is plugged?
What type and weight oil is being used?

I wonder if you checked the oil return as somene else said and did you check to see if oil cooler is plugged?
What type and weight oil is being used?
The return was checked and the intercoolers cleaned although not chemically. This time I have had them professionally cleaned. The turbo failure is noticed when there is oil coming through on the intake side. I stripped the last turbo and found scoring on the turbo shaft where the bearings run, as though they ran dry. We are using FUCHS TITAN TRUCK OIL. OiI pressure has been checked and found to be good.
Could the worn oil ring condition be a contributing factor?
Could the absence of a waste gate be causing pressure build up and push oil out of the bearings?

/ PERSISTENT TURBO BLOWING ON MF 480 XTRA. #9  
The pressure pipe is ok?

By ok you mean physical condition? Yes that is all good. I even had a MF technician come out and verify everything. Thanks for asking.