PF Engineering plans

/ PF Engineering plans #21  
Did have a set of PF plans and was not impressed with them, the BH design was OK but over all I considered the plans hard to follow.
To be truthful I was pleased to give them away.

/ PF Engineering plans
Spent some time with the plans last night to determine a plan of attack. First order of business is how I am going to supply power to the FEL and BH. Since I have the 400 with its weird PTO speed, I am not sure how that plays into the equation. And I do not have the rear PTO, or a 3pth. Not really interested in the 3pth as I don't anticipate needing one.

So, for you thinkers out there. A pump that runs off the mid-pto, plumbed to the rear for the BH? It shouldn't take any more room in the downward direction than does a mower deck. Wonder if I will need a gear box as well to get a working PTO speed? Book says 2100 RPM shaft speed at 3400 engine RPM. That appears to be maximum, and the book recommends maximum engine RPM for PTO operation. Seems like overkill for one little pump though. Will have to go look at pumps.

Any 400 owners out there that can comment?

I am thinking the on-board hydraulics are insufficient, at least for the BH. And of course, the sub-frame plans offered are what he designed for his Cub Cadet. So first some decisions regarding a hydraulic pump and how to spin it.

/ PF Engineering plans #23  
A pump that runs off the mid-pto, plumbed to the rear for the BH?

Yeah, use the mid-PTO, Carol. Design for 3-6 GPM if your cylinders are in the 2.5" range. The hoe's stoutness
will determine if you can go as high as 2000psi. I ran my CADDigger at 1500 and still broke things. You
will likely use fairly hi engine RPM so you have full engine power.

At 2100 RPM, you can get about 3GPM with a .3 cu in pump. Lots of pumps out there for under $150.

/ PF Engineering plans
Thanks, dfkrug. I just heard back from Paul at PF Engineering and he agreed that would work. He will get back to me with specific pumps that will work. That's pretty good service in that I received the plans yesterday, looked at them briefly last tight, formulated a few questions, sent an email and have answers and suggestions back this afternoon.

Think a new thread for the build is in order? And in this forum or in the projects forum?

/ PF Engineering plans #26  
Think a new thread for the build is in order? And in this forum or in the projects forum?

Yes, indeed! Use the Build-It-Yourself forum. That's the one for things you build FOR tractors; the
Projects forum is for things you build WITH tractors. IMO, of course.

Although I build lots of projects, I still like the idea of buying plans for the complicated ones, unless
you can't find the right set. There is definitely value in learning from other people's failures and
successes. There is plenty of time needed and reward gained in the actual building/debugging process.

Currently building a bandsaw sawmill, using my own power plant and drive system. I have not found
any plans out there for the carriage and rails that meets my requirements, or I would have bought them.

/ PF Engineering plans #27  
I bought PF plans for fel and backhoe a few years ago when I had a B6200. But I sold it and bought a B2620 with fel so I never built it. Recently bought a BH6500 backhoe.

/ PF Engineering plans #28  
I used PF Engineering plans to build a FEL and backhoe for my Wheel Horse D200. I had to make some minor modifications because his plans are for a Cub Cadet. I spent a lot more time sourcing parts for it because I had a goal of only using parts made in the USA. Over all I was very happy with the plans, and the support.

/ PF Engineering plans
Thanks. I have already experienced Paul's help via email.