PHD Advice Appreciated

/ PHD Advice Appreciated #11  
Nuru said:
Gee, the safety thread has got me thinking - BH again instead of PHD.

Don't be afraid. Just treat the tool with respect.

OkieG

/ PHD Advice Appreciated #12  
Nuru said:
Gee, the safety thread has got me thinking - BH again instead of PHD. BH is more expensive and digs a much sloppier hole, but....etc.

Actualty using a PHd for the task I need it for is okay as long as I respect the PHD. I am thinking smaller than a 12 inch auger now though. i was thinking of getting two augers, one at 6 inches (for posts), and another at 12 (for planting shrubs, trees, ..etc).
Or, get a hydraulic PHD and mount it on your 3-pt or loader
bucket. Or get a b/h AND a hydraulic PHD....that's the best
way to drill holes. MUCH safer on bodies and equipment.

/ PHD Advice Appreciated #13  
Well that is standard,. I even treat hills, ditrches, bumps, and other road hazards with caution.

/ PHD Advice Appreciated #14  
Gee the BH is a little too expensive for me I(5 - 6 k). Hydraulic, well how much do those cost? i heard they were a bit pricey too?

/ PHD Advice Appreciated #15  
The PHD has it's place just like any other attachment. I have drilled about 1000 hole in the ground with the two that I have owned. I learned the hard way the they are designed to run at about 300 rmp. That is well below rated pto speed. If you run one at pto speed you will destroy the gear box over time. Like the others said get someone to eye it for you at about 10 foot away. Respect the power and drill about a fot lift and clear away the dirt and drill another foot and repeat until you get to the depth that you want. Also be prepared to take some alleve tylenol ot some other pain i nthe neck/back medication if you have alot of hole to drill. That is alot of looking backward! Good luck and be careful!!!!!!!!!