PHD/Auger Question

/ PHD/Auger Question #1  

ChrisJD4320

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 4320
Hello. I have a 4320 Power Reverser and would like to install fence, trees, and a pole barn on my 22 acres. I am considering the purchase of a post hole digger. In my search, I have decided against the Frontier PHD because they seem way to expensive. I was considering a unit from King Kutter or a brand called The Leinbach Line. Does anyone have experince with these? Will a Frontier really be worth the extra money? Any suggestions regarding decent, less expensive brands would be appreciated.

/ PHD/Auger Question #2  
I've heard the leinbach's are OK but I've never used one. Look for a used Danuser if you want a good one. I bought a very used Bush Hog at an auction. I refurbished it and it works great. The gears and housing were good. The money I saved I was able to buy another auger 12" and still come out ahead.

If you look closely at the "heads" you'll see common castings in the higher end models and less beefy stuff on the cheaper models. What type of soils do you need to dig in? A cheap model might work fine for you. I love to find and buy used stuff. If you're in a hurry this might not work for you.

/ PHD/Auger Question
I am in an area with alot of rocks. (limestone) I have about 36" of topsoil then it looks like clay down below that. The Leinbach Line PHD was $356 brand new.

/ PHD/Auger Question #4  
I bought my PHD at TSC 4 years ago and since have augered over 250 holes. Performs good. Just goes through a lot of shear pins. I dress the cutters with a file every now and then and it keeps on drilling. Can't beat it for the price and mine is holding up.

/ PHD/Auger Question #5  
I agree with Kyle, unless you are in a hurry, wait and watch. I got an almost new Fronter PHD-300 for $400. The guy put in about 40 posts and didn't need it any more. I have a friend with a Leinbach, it seems to be decent but a bit light......but we don't have any rocks around this part of Texas.

/ PHD/Auger Question
Thanks for the advice. I considered Leinbach but it seemed kinda light to me as well. I went to Tractor Supply and bought a Speeco PHD with 12" auger for $500. The manager gave me a lifetime warranty. He said if it ever breaks he will replace it. No questions asked. He also gave me a bag of 1000 galvanized T-post clips for free as well. (I may use them someday) I haven't dug any holes, but it seems to be a solid piece of equipment.

/ PHD/Auger Question #7  
Chris,

Have been digging holes with the TSC Speedco PHD for a couple of years now, and probably dug 500 to 550 post holes without a problem. For the money it's a great unit.

/ PHD/Auger Question #8  
ChrisJD4320 said:
He also gave me a bag of 1000 galvanized T-post clips for free as well. (I may use them someday) I haven't dug any holes, but it seems to be a solid piece of equipment.

I don't know Chris, but auger and steel clips don't add up. We get free clips everytime we buy a bundle of posts.

/ PHD/Auger Question #9  
I have a Woods PHD. Drilled lots of holes in clay and rock. A few broken shear pins, other than that works great.