Posthole Digger PHD Stuck Auger

/ PHD Stuck Auger #11  
I learned to never let the auger self feed itself. Always control the downward motion and keep it cleared constantly but raising and lowering. I twisted a rockshaft once by trying to get the phd out after getting it stuck.
David from jax

/ PHD Stuck Auger
AndyMA said:
Are you telling us that you were prying up on gearbox with auger spinning? If so I hope it isn't your obit that is the next thing we read... This is a most dangerous operation and one that should not be done at all costs. If any part of you or you clothing gets into a rotating device you will be sucked in so fast that you won't have any idea what hit you. I hope I read what you were doing wrong, but even so I wanted to warn others.

Andy
No I DO NOT. I can't even get of seat w PTO on due to safety switch, and wouldn't if I could.

/ PHD Stuck Auger #13  
What I found works is to not try to pull it out. Just let it keep digging. When the head hits the ground, the auger flighting will start pushing the dirt out the top of the hold. There my be some mushrooming at the top as it swells the hole but I don't care.

My technique is to just pour on the power. The dirt gives up first.

/ PHD Stuck Auger #14  
   / PHD Stuck Auger #15  
zzvyb6 said:
What I found works is to not try to pull it out. Just let it keep digging. When the head hits the ground, the auger flighting will start pushing the dirt out the top of the hold. There my be some mushrooming at the top as it swells the hole but I don't care.

My technique is to just pour on the power. The dirt gives up first.

I find my shear bolts giving before the dirt and roots do at times. :D

For us at least, especially in existing planting beds, roots are the worst when they hook under a flight.

/ PHD Stuck Auger #16  
ctpres said:
No I DO NOT. I can't even get of seat w PTO on due to safety switch, and wouldn't if I could.

For your L3400, just flip the seat forward and onto the steering wheel as you stand up, that overrides the safety switch and the PTO will continue to run. Not recommended for PHD's, but a necessity for generators, pee breaks while bush hogging, etc.

/ PHD Stuck Auger #17  
mjfox6 said:
For your L3400, just flip the seat forward and onto the steering wheel as you stand up, that overrides the safety switch and the PTO will continue to run.

Kubota call that feature "stationary PTO."

a necessity ....... for pee breaks while bush hogging, etc.

Good one. Took me a minute to picture that. Hadn't thought of that use for the override....but now that I do I'll have to try it. No sense in letting nature's call stop a work in progress.:eek:

/ PHD Stuck Auger #18  
N80 said:
Good one. Took me a minute to picture that.

Hope you were picturing yourself, I'm glad you don't know what I look like!

I do it so I don't have any unnecessary starting/stopping stress on my L3400's PTO system.

/ PHD Stuck Auger #19  
You need to set the lowering speed to a very slow rate. Sharp or serrated cutting edge is also good. The slow rate will force the cutter to rip and break up the soil. You should have a lowering speed control on your 3PH to control the downward rate of a heavy impliment and keep you from slamming it into the ground. It is usually a valve assembly that you can twist(like a garden hose spigot valve) that controls the rate at which fluid can exit the 3PH cylinder. I ususlly set mine so the impliment goes up and down at the same speed when brushhogging, but it allows me to make the lowering speed much slower if I wish and can even lock the impliment load in the air. For augering, I set it at a pretty slow rate

If you let the auger go down at it's own pace, you will eventually get a good bite and the thing will corkscrew before you can stop it. I have sandy soil with a lot of round river rock and roots and mine will do the same thing if it catches the edge of a big rock or root at full lowering rate or I let it go too far before lifting and clearing the auger. Even at a slow lowering speed, I lift and clear frequently. I would rather go slow than have to get off the tractor and unscrew the auger with a pipe wrench. Going slow also gives me time to pull the tractor forward using the loader bucket and keep the auger perpendicular to the ground for a straighter hole.

I don't ever use lift force when I have to unscrew a stuck auger. Having hydraulic force applied without YOU at the controls of that force is never a good idea. It screwed itself in without any downforce(other than the weight of the auger), it will screw itself back out with a big enough lever. If it had 3PH lift force applied while unscrewing the auger with a pipewrench, and I unscrew it to a point where it can break free and lift on it's own, I would be just lucky enough to catch the wrench handle on the chin:)

I think the suggestion of a short chunk of pipe welded perpendicular to the auger shaft up near the top is an excellent one. It would sure be a lot faster to stuff a pry bar into a welded pipe on the auger to unscrew it, than to fit and hold the pipe wrench and cheater to unscrew it. I am going to do this and at the same time, weld a holder bracket to the 3PH boom to carry that pipe/prybar along with the auger whenever I am using it. A little extra weight on the 3PH boom might be a good thing anyway:)

/ PHD Stuck Auger #20  
mjfox6 said:
I do it so I don't have any unnecessary starting/stopping stress on my L3400's PTO system.

Well, I'm not sure how you go about it but I'd have to say that a real man would do it without stopping or getting off the tractor, right? That's what I was picturing....and no, you were not in the picture.:D