Photos: Are these coyote, or fox pups???

/ Photos: Are these coyote, or fox pups??? #31  
without question, coyotes.

/ Photos: Are these coyote, or fox pups??? #32  
Triangular shaped head and shorter legs in proportion to body, I vote fox.

/ Photos: Are these coyote, or fox pups??? #33  
I go with coyote,would shoot them either way to many of both here

/ Photos: Are these coyote, or fox pups???
The coyotes seem to be a natural predator to the huge number of gophers that are everywhere here eating my tree roots. It's all orchards or vineyards in the vicinity, nobody has chickens or livestock nearby for them to bother. I've never seen torn up gopher holes like we have everywhere this year.

The number of rabbits remains normal, maybe a half dozen in the eleven acres, same as always, so the coyotes must not be very hungry. I hope they eat every last gopher.

/ Photos: Are these coyote, or fox pups??? #35  
I guess the difference of opinion your getting from the varing regions. I beleive that a cyote is native to your area where here in SC they have moved in as an invassive. Some say DNR put them here to help control an out of control deer population. I dont beleive in that conspriicy theory a more realistic thing is that they just traveled here like the big cats do on occasion from florida as well as the black bears that are seen across GA and SC as they migrate from the coast to the moutain poulations. The other scenario witch is as certain as taxes and dieing is that the "foxp pen" guys who foxhunt or chase um with dogs, started useing cyotes years ago cause they "run" better, they dont give up like the foxes. These are in like 20 acre fenced in areas and what im sure happened was that a tree fell across a fence either busting it down or just makeing a ramp that the cyotes walked up and out or they dug out. The things are everywhere now. Its shoot on site for pretty much anyone you talk to and heck you cant get rid of them. Dnr tells you to shoot them, they are not native and DNR wants them gone, there is no season but this is opposite your thinking, since they are invasive you can kill them anytime of the year with any method or weapon you want even at night with nightvision, baiting you name it. Many hunters even i, think that they have put a hurt on our fawn recruitment each year, were not in a decline but you hate to see your future bucks killed before they are 3 weeks old. There have been many radio collar studies to prove a K9 kill. I think they are hurting our turkey population too which has not had very good years here recently.

I will shoot a cyote everytime i see one, i hear them all the time at night and sunset, but with all the hours i put in each year ( i hunt every sat sun and sometimes up to 2-3 times during the week) i have only killed 2 and missed one and could not get a shot on another). I see them driveing all the time though, oh i ran over one in the truck does that count, he ran out of the median on I-385 like a deer does right up under my frontend and i knoched him out with the front I beams.

-Nate

/ Photos: Are these coyote, or fox pups??? #36  
Coyote.

The legs are too long to be fox and the snout suggests Coyote.

I just looked again.....COYOTE.

He is bigger than an adult Fox. Those legs are LOONG. I can't believe soo many have said the legs are short.

I have a Fox at the taxidermist right now. A large, mature male. Fox have very short legs.

/ Photos: Are these coyote, or fox pups??? #37  
I was thinking Fox due to the face but I didn't see a Hen house in your photo so I'll vote Coyote.

/ Photos: Are these coyote, or fox pups???
I guess the difference of opinion your getting from the varing regions. I beleive that a coyote is native to your area where here in SC they have moved in as an invassive. .... Dnr tells you to shoot them, they are not native and DNR wants them gone, ...

I think they are hurting our turkey population too which has not had very good years here recently.
Wow. If coyotes are non-native in SC there is no natural limit on them spreading and that shoot-on-sight sounds like the only answer.

They have always been here, with a reputation for taking down sheep in the past when sheep were a significant part of local ag. We used to see "Poison Out!" signs on all the fences. (Strychnine in sheep carcasses, I think).

F&G introduced turkeys (non-native) here several years ago and now they are common. We see turkeys and rabbits in the daytime and hear coyotes (?) howling at night. Hopefully these coyotes are getting a full diet of gophers.

I have noticed a pattern in the replies to this thread: A lot of the people who say these look like their local foxes are in the Northeast while others elsewhere, particularly in the West, say coyote. We have both here (Northern California).

I don't know if I mentioned it in this thread but last summer my wife encountered a coyote right where I photographed those pups this year. She went to pick berries, and there was a coyote ready to go into a low path through the berries. They both retreated. She said she was certain, it looked the same as nuisance coyotes we have seen at 100 ft in the campground at Yosemite and at Scotty's Castle in Death Valley.

/ Photos: Are these coyote, or fox pups??? #39  
DNR stocked them here in w.v.,no matter what they might say,one year there wasn't any,next year there was a pack,no doubt to kill deer,thing is there wasn't too many deer,and than the deer with little ones moved closer[in my yard],to raise their fawns,safer,than coyotes moved closer too to get the fawns. DNR is a government onto itself,they don't ask people first,they just do things like that.
Rumors of panthers stocked,rattlesnakes,they relocate bears too,don't tell you,they just do it,hard to tell what all they do do.
Had a game warden tell me that he had reports of my dog running deer[years ago,we lived in a meadow and he indeed would chase deer a short distance,never caught one though],I told the game warden if he did'nt want my dog chasing his deer,than he should keep his deer out of my yard,that shut him up.

/ Photos: Are these coyote, or fox pups??? #40  
DNR stocked them here in w.v.,no matter what they might say,one year there wasn't any,next year there was a pack,no doubt to kill deer,thing is there wasn't too many deer,and than the deer with little ones moved closer[in my yard],to raise their fawns,safer,than coyotes moved closer too to get the fawns. DNR is a government onto itself,they don't ask people first,they just do things like that.
Rumors of panthers stocked,rattlesnakes,they relocate bears too,don't tell you,they just do it,hard to tell what all they do do.
Had a game warden tell me that he had reports of my dog running deer[years ago,we lived in a meadow and he indeed would chase deer a short distance,never caught one though],I told the game warden if he did'nt want my dog chasing his deer,than he should keep his deer out of my yard,that shut him up.

I think they done that up here, too!

Got coyotes, foxes, bears, lynx...

I'm gonna call Social Services and have 'em transplant PEOPLE up here.

That'll show 'em.. er, huh?

AKfish