Picked up a X495 and a X740

/ Picked up a X495 and a X740
I got them both home yesterday. I rented a 16ft truck and bought two steel ramps. I also brought a come along, but I didn't use it. When I got there they didn't have a air compressor so rolling them was out of the question. They brought a long fork truck and lifted each one into the truck by lifting the front axle and the mowing deck. I used ratchet straps to lift the deck to prevent the forks from catching on the front or back of the deck and bending the supports or deck. I also made sure they didn't touch the hydraulic lines or cylinders. I pumped up the tires on the other end and rolled them down the ramps praying that the brakes worked and they did. All fluids were drained from each and I filled the x740 and fired it right up. It has 1366hrs and ran smooth. The X495 was missing a engine belt, so I haven't tried it yet, but it has 1755 hrs. The hoods and bodies are solid and very little rust. The instrument panel and steering column are loose on the 740 so I need to take it apart and figure out what is broken or loose. The tilt mechanism isn't locking on it as well. Coolant was good in both and they had stickers listing when the next service was due so at least I know they were tracking maintenance. I have new Carlisle bar tires for the back and turf tires for the fronts. I need to find a local tire shop to mount the rubber. The decks didn't have blades so I got some gator blades and standard blades on the way. They both need some polish to shine up the bodies and armor all on the black plastic. I will take pics with the new seats and tires after I clean them both up. Stay tuned.

/ Picked up a X495 and a X740 #12  
I got them both home yesterday. I rented a 16ft truck and bought two steel ramps. I also brought a come along, but I didn't use it. When I got there they didn't have a air compressor so rolling them was out of the question. They brought a long fork truck and lifted each one into the truck by lifting the front axle and the mowing deck. I used ratchet straps to lift the deck to prevent the forks from catching on the front or back of the deck and bending the supports or deck. I also made sure they didn't touch the hydraulic lines or cylinders. I pumped up the tires on the other end and rolled them down the ramps praying that the brakes worked and they did. All fluids were drained from each and I filled the x740 and fired it right up. It has 1366hrs and ran smooth. The X495 was missing a engine belt, so I haven't tried it yet, but it has 1755 hrs. The hoods and bodies are solid and very little rust. The instrument panel and steering column are loose on the 740 so I need to take it apart and figure out what is broken or loose. The tilt mechanism isn't locking on it as well. Coolant was good in both and they had stickers listing when the next service was due so at least I know they were tracking maintenance. I have new Carlisle bar tires for the back and turf tires for the fronts. I need to find a local tire shop to mount the rubber. The decks didn't have blades so I got some gator blades and standard blades on the way. They both need some polish to shine up the bodies and armor all on the black plastic. I will take pics with the new seats and tires after I clean them both up. Stay tuned.

If these machines were well maintained, those hours are nothing. The highest hour count on a diesel X7 I have ever seen was just under 7,000. It was a commercial machine for a landscaping company, used everyday, every season. I remember the guy saying he had to replace some parts on the tractor itself, but the engine was all original.

I got both of them running and drove both yesterday. The x495 was the harder of the two to get running due to bad battery cables and a missing belt. I started cleanup on the x495, and I still need to replace the toolbox. The x740 gets a bath today and new headlight assembly. I am hoping I can salvage the grille which has bondo on it and lots of tape. The spraypaint on the plastic started to come off with cleaner wax and I will try to use paint thinner to get the rest off after I test it on the plastic in a hidden place. After cleanup is done I will grease all the zerks and start on the decks.

Question, the x495 is clearly louder and harder to start. Should I check the valve clearance? I seems to be firing on all cylinders. They are two different model Yanmars, so I was curious if this was normal before I pull the valve cover.

I will post some pics of the progress. My neighbors are already asking about them.

/ Picked up a X495 and a X740 #14  
I got both of them running and drove both yesterday. The x495 was the harder of the two to get running due to bad battery cables and a missing belt. I started cleanup on the x495, and I still need to replace the toolbox. The x740 gets a bath today and new headlight assembly. I am hoping I can salvage the grille which has bondo on it and lots of tape. The spraypaint on the plastic started to come off with cleaner wax and I will try to use paint thinner to get the rest off after I test it on the plastic in a hidden place. After cleanup is done I will grease all the zerks and start on the decks.

Question, the x495 is clearly louder and harder to start. Should I check the valve clearance? I seems to be firing on all cylinders. They are two different model Yanmars, so I was curious if this was normal before I pull the valve cover.

I will post some pics of the progress. My neighbors are already asking about them.

Louder is definitely normal. That is an older version of the Yanmar diesel and probably the loudest of them all. As far as hard starting goes, I would say that's not normal. My guess is it's time to replace those glow plugs. Also, at the hour ratings these engines have, a valve adjustment would do you some good.

Here is the progress on day two. I got them both cleaned up. The hardest thing was the **** packing tape on the X740 hood. Took some serious scrubbing with 3M adhesive remover which incidentally worked well for the paint stencils. I still need to fix a small coolant leak on the top radiator hose on X740, fix the hard start on the X495, and service both decks. I ran out of time to get the tires replaced on the X740 and I got the wrong gauge wheel arms for the X740. I will swap the tires tomorrow. A few more parts and both of these will be ready for Spring. I am keeping the X495 and selling the X740. The sale should pay for the parts and X495. I am glad I bought them both. I am now looking for a blade for the X495 to use for snow or dirt/gravel work. See pics below after the work.
DSC00825.jpgDSC00832.jpgDSC00831.jpgDSC00830.jpgDSC00829.jpgDSC00828.jpgDSC00827.jpg

/ Picked up a X495 and a X740 #16  
If you painted the little things like the exposed areas of the frame and the seat hardware it would help a lot, otherwise they look pretty good so far!

What made you decide to keep the older X495 over the newer X740? You may be in for sticker shock when you price out a quick hitch with angling kit and the 54'' blade. I was quoted $1,650 for that setup at my local dealer. Needless to say, as much as I need a blade, it's going to have to wait for quite some time.

I plan to touch up the frame especially under the batteries. I found a front hydraulic 54in blade on Craigslist for $850. I hadn't thought about a rear blade. The X495 has a angle cylinder on the rear so I could do that. I am keeping the X495 because it is worth less and suits what I need. I may be able to make a little money. BTW I am going to check the glow plugs and valve clearance.

/ Picked up a X495 and a X740 #18  
The cylinder on the remarks just the deck lift cylinder. If is mounted in the rear on the x4 / x5 machines. When installing a 3 point hitch on a an x7, you need to move the cylinder to this location. Either machine would need a 3 point hitch kit for rear blade. They are about $500.

/ Picked up a X495 and a X740 #19  
If u are still having hard start problems check the injectors and fuel pressure. u could also check the fuel timing u never know what they did.

Finally finished them both and posted the x740 for sale. I took the x495 to the dealer and they said there was nothing wrong with it and charged my $50 for an oil change/filter when I just changed both. Occasionally it doesn't want to start when cold. I couldn't get the deck to come on for the x495 and I finally figured out that the neutral RIO switch was bad when I bypassed it. This was after I replaced the temp relay and ignition control board following the troubleshooting procedures in the tech manual. They both run great and don't need a rebuild. I put a steering wheel spinner knob and Oregon Gator Fusion blades for the one I am keeping. I want to get a 3pt hitch to mount a trailer ball on and I am not sure what to get. Included the after pics below.
DSC00950.jpgDSC00948.jpgDSC00953.jpg

Total to repair both including $800 for tires is $3400. I didn't have to mess with the tranny/hydro/engines other than to adjust valve clearance on the X495. Leveling the deck was a pain on the 495 and I never could get the front to back to difference to 6mm. I had fun doing the work with the exception of the electrical and deck leveling.

Last edited: