Picking a first tractor

/ Picking a first tractor #31  
I am looking at a 33 hp kubota b3200, 4wd, 1700 lbs. Wheelbase 65”.

would it be maneuverable between a grove of trees 15’ apart, on an uneven slope?
Easily maneuver in those spaces, just watch your head and exhuast :)
Awesome tractor for what you have indicated it will be used for, except (sorry, a lot of excepts...) it might have emissions crap on it. If you have time to keep looking, I'd suggest avoiding emissions.

/ Picking a first tractor #32  
I have a geared MF1528. A HST tractor would have been fine but this tractor was a great price. I do not mind gears as I grew up operating geared 2wd ag tractors. Even so HST is great for loader work.
For consideration in tractor size… you are going to need 3 pt implements to accomplish various tasks. Used implements for subcompacts may be more difficult to find than used implements for larger frame tractors. Give some thought to implements needed to accomplish your tasks and check out costs of new versus used.
Yes on the needing multiple implements. On the difficulty of finding them (used) it's hard to say as it depends on the area. I wanted a 6' RC for my NX5510 and it took quite a while before finding one. 7' box blade pretty much never available: I ended up buying a new one (had to be shipped). 5' RCs are almost a dime a dozen (though quality/condition varies). It did take me a while to find a GOOD 5' box blade.

Regarding the B3200, which is not all that different than my B7800, if it has the quarter-inching valve for operating the 3pt I'd stay away from it. Though my B7800 has been one of the most indestructible and hardest-working pieces of equipment I've ever been around (and ever will be around), that quarter-inching valve is just horrible (with 1,100 hrs seat time I can instinctively adjust it, but it's a constant thing- I just accept it).

SSQA would also be something totally worth having if you're going to be using different loader attachments (mostly bucket, pallet forks; small grapples are possible). Don't have it on my B7800 and managed to live that way until I got my NX5510 (which does have SSQA).

/ Picking a first tractor
Thanks for all the advices from different angles. Granted, some aspects are a bit more advanced for me to grasp, but i appreciate anyway.

i can see the correlation between weight and stability, strikes a fine balance between able to work safely and efficiently, vs small and nimble enough to get in and around between obstacles…

/ Picking a first tractor #34  
Keep soil conditions in mind!

My water table is about 16" right now and it hasn't really hit the rainy part of the year! If I break through then it's all over with: I started sinking in with my NX5510, the rears, although on firm ground, were lifting and not able to drive the tractor out in reverse as the weight on the loader was too great and started sinking the front wheels; I dumped the load but it was too late, I was STUCK. Had pallet forks on the front and tried to use them to push myself out but I ended up driving the forks ALL the way into the ground. A bit embarrassing. Last and only time I got the NX5510 stuck: I've used it, though, to pull out a stuck 9k lb excavator).

/ Picking a first tractor #35  
I have come across a

1)Massey gc1715 (sub-compact) almost brand new for 11k, or a

2) older 800 hr L3410 for about 15k or

3)a more beatup L2600f w/o fel for 7k,

4) old Ford 1700 low hrs for $7k.

Didn’t know if i should look for specific weight/hp class? Is it better to have a newer model with less hp or an older one with more hp/more weight?
For almost all tractor tasks, except mowing lawns, wore weight and a wider stance are beneficial.

/ Picking a first tractor #36  
i can see the correlation between weight and stability, strikes a fine balance between able to work safely and efficiently, vs small and nimble enough to get in and around between obstacles…

Tractors are inherently unstable operating on sloped ground. Tractor rear wheel/tire spread is a critical factor increasing compact tractor stability working sloped or uneven ground. Rear axle is the tractor component on which rear wheels/tires mount. A 4" to 6" wider rear axle substantially decreases tractor rollover potential. Tractor width is an approximation of rear axle width.

The Ford 1700 (unusually) has an adjustable rear wheel/tire spread from 43" to 58".

Larger wheels and tires permit heavier tractors to bridge holes, ruts and tree debris permitting higher ground speed with less implement and operator perturbation.

Last edited:
   / Picking a first tractor #37  
Here I thought stability was about the centre of gravity and not weight.

/ Picking a first tractor #38  

Stability is a combination. Weight is part of it and certainly CG is too. When stability involves slopes, then the side slip - of the tractor or the surface - can be just as important.
The problem with just using tractor center of gravity is that CG doesn't take width into account. CG stays the same whether the tires are 4 feet apart or 40.
rScotty

/ Picking a first tractor #39  
Stability is a combination. Weight is part of it and certainly CG is too. When stability involves slopes, then the side slip - of the tractor or the surface - can be just as important.
The problem with just using tractor center of gravity is that CG doesn't take width into account. CG stays the same whether the tires are 4 feet apart or 40.
rScotty
Centre of gravity and stability takes all dimensions and weights into account. There is no combination. It’s all just plain straight forward.

/ Picking a first tractor #40  

I'll try to answer your question again.

No, stability is not simply about center of gravity - nor is it just about weight, although it can appear so since the center of gravity does move when mass is rotated and total weight does not.
Center of gravity is just a mathematical point. It may move as a result of rotational forces; but it doesn't create them.

rScotty