Picking Up Used Tractor Today: Checklist to Lookover?

/ Picking Up Used Tractor Today: Checklist to Lookover? #1  

rhatfiel

Bronze Member
Tractor
2018 LS XJ2025H
Hi all - picking up my first tractor, a used 2013/14 Kioti CK2510 HST w/ 100hrs, today. Outside of engine oil, filters, etc. and running through the gears w/ a test drive, what else do I need to check over? How can I ensure PTOs are all good? Anything else?

/ Picking Up Used Tractor Today: Checklist to Lookover? #2  
I think you are buying from a private seller, not a dealer correct? Either way I believe most tractors require a 50 hour service. Ask for proof that it was done. Ask for the owners manuals (and maybe service manual if he bought them) that came with the tractor as they detail what service needs to be done at certain hours. With only 100 hours it should be like new unless it was beaten to death. Not really any way to check PTO operation without an attachment but again at the low hours its probably fine.
Does it have a loader? If so maybe he'll let you move some snow to try it out.
Was it stored inside or out?
Best of luck with your new to you tractor.

/ Picking Up Used Tractor Today: Checklist to Lookover? #3  
Hi all - picking up my first tractor, a used 2013/14 Kioti CK2510 HST w/ 100hrs, today. Outside of engine oil, filters, etc. and running through the gears w/ a test drive, what else do I need to check over? How can I ensure PTOs are all good? Anything else?
I would look at the paint on the bell housing and rears. If the bolts have been removed for work it’ll show up quick. Same for cylinders head if the covers are painted. An improvised stall test on hydro, push or pull against something you know isn’t moveable, should be difference between ranges when you can hear/feel the pressure drop. Similar test with loader is to pick and move something to check functions (lift, curl, dump) then try to pick up something that it shouldn’t, feel/hear the pressure relief kick in.

Check the VIN with the selling dealer to see if they match. 100 hours on a 5-6 year old tractor might be true, might not be.

/ Picking Up Used Tractor Today: Checklist to Lookover? #4  
Check hydraulic functions by running the tractor for a bit and actuating all hydraulic valves. These would be on the FEL and the rear remotes if applicable. Make sure they dont leak after you have them warmed up with a bit of use. For the rear remotes, you will need something attached to them to get fluid through them.

/ Picking Up Used Tractor Today: Checklist to Lookover? #5  
If possible, put a bush cutter or something heavy on the 3 pt and make sure it lifts and drops smoothly and same for any other hydraulics. Once up, shut off the engine and see if there is significant drop over 5 to 10 minutes. Make sure the tractor stops as soon as you release the petal in both forward and reverse. Run the tractor at all speeds in all ranges and make sure it is smooth and it shifts ranges without a lot of force. Make sure the pto is working. At 100 hours there shouldn't be any issues. Listen for any odd noises when operating everything. If he can't convince you of fluid changes, I'd change all the oils and filters first thing. Good luck with your new tractor!

/ Picking Up Used Tractor Today: Checklist to Lookover?
Thanks all - delayed pickup due to snow, but this is all helpful for when I go get it. Thanks again.