Picking your dealer

/ Picking your dealer #1  

TigerfaninAR

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2320 FEL, MMM
As my wife can testify I have spent more time on here than a man should...well maybe not, but anyway I really enjoy the converstion between newbies like myself shopping and the experienced tractor owners who have been there done that.

It has been stated over and over that whether its green, orange, or red, all are good machines. Seems the usualy statement of the importance of a good dealer soon follows.

My question is how to you determine who the best dealer is? Is it just the "feel" you get while shopping and test driving or are their certain questions that should be asked. I'm down to a Kubota B2620 or Mahindra 2516 and the two dealers are only 2-3 miles apart, both well established, and seem like good folk. Again, certain questions I should ask or something I should pick up on that would clue me in?

/ Picking your dealer #2  
Ask some of the local farmers. They usually are happy to talk about this kind of stuff and can tell you the "right" guy to talk to at each place!

/ Picking your dealer #3  
Part of it is "feel", but there are some questions that can help clue you in as to what to expect. Go into the dealership - meet the service manager - take a walk through the service area. Is it neat, clean, organized? Is it busy?

Ask about service routines - do they come on-site? If so, are there extra charges? Do they pick-up your equipment? If so, are there extra charges? How much for the routine maintenance? What are some of the problem areas (if any) with a give model of a machine?

Talk to them about warranty - what is covered and what isn't. How do they handle warranty repairs? How long to get parts (may be a key question with Mahindra - not sure of their parts network)?

Good luck!

Scott

/ Picking your dealer
Part of it is "feel", but there are some questions that can help clue you in as to what to expect. Go into the dealership - meet the service manager - take a walk through the service area. Is it neat, clean, organized? Is it busy?

Ask about service routines - do they come on-site? If so, are there extra charges? Do they pick-up your equipment? If so, are there extra charges? How much for the routine maintenance? What are some of the problem areas (if any) with a give model of a machine?

Talk to them about warranty - what is covered and what isn't. How do they handle warranty repairs? How long to get parts (may be a key question with Mahindra - not sure of their parts network)?

Good luck!

Scott

Thanks, seems like good info.

/ Picking your dealer #5  
TigerfaninAR,

You have asked the $64K question. I have spent a lot of time (between kicking myself in the rear) asking myself that same question, i.e., what should I have been looking for to have known that I picked the "wrong" dealer (which I did).

First, I would say, do as much research on your own as you can regarding the tractor you are looking for. Then, see if the salesman seems to know as much about the machine as you do. Also, what general feeling do you get from the sales staff (either from talking to them yourself, or listening to how they treat other cutomers in the store)? Does it sound like they are BS'ing you, or others?

Do they sound like they are actually listening to you? A warning sign for me should have been that I had to tell my salesman the same thing several times as to what I wanted in my order, and he never wrote anything down. Then, they got it wrong and I had to tell him all over again.

If AT ALL POSSIBLE, I would do whatever I could to talk to several people who have done business with that dealer. My problem was, I didn't know anyone who had done business with "my" dealer, so didn't know who to talk to. I think this is probably the most important thing, but the hardest to do.

Check with the Better Business Beureau in your area (you can do this online).

Look at their shop and parts area.

Are they attentive to you, or others, who are in the store? Do they just let people stand there, or do they try to help them?

Finally, I wouldn't let price be the determining factor. I would GLADLY pay more to get the machine from someone who was good to deal with and with whom I could build a good relationship.

Best of luck on your purchase.

/ Picking your dealer #6  
You could try calling the parts and service departments, see if they answer the phone and if they don't if they return your call. Ask them some questions about the tractor you are considering, like the availablility of an option, how many they see with warantee problems, etc. I called both after I bought my tractor and they didn't answer the phone and didn't return my calls. I get my parts at another dealer now.

/ Picking your dealer #7  
In this economeny, the best choice will be those with staying power. If this recession drags out for 2-3 years you will see some manufacturers who sell only CUT's go under. I'd look for dealer and manufacturer who is well deversified so you can count on them being around for you in the future.

/ Picking your dealer #8  
Finally, I wouldn't let price be the determining factor. I would GLADLY pay more to get the machine from someone who was good to deal with and with whom I could build a good relationship.

That's what I did, paid a little more for a dealer that was closer to the house and has a good reputation. A lot of it was that comfort level as well. Not that I had any reason to believe the other dealers would not have been a good choice, but mine has been around longer, is family run, neat, and knows their products. The "extra" that sealed the deal was their willingness to include transportation for warranty work and/or come to the house. They also as a matter of policy include a house call for the 50 hour service, but I did have to pay for the oil and filters. That was five years ago, still on a first name basis, always willing to talk me through an issue whether mechanical or operating technique. All that was worth the extra few bucks ($500 +/-) to me. And I buy all my maintence parts from them, knowing that I am getting the right stuff.

Brad

/ Picking your dealer
These last few replys have been great and exactly what I needed to know. All this info probably makes me look again at the green machines. I liked the others just a little better and when I calculated the price factor I marked them off my list. However the green dealer is actually a little closer and I did buy a x300 mower there and they were extrememely helpful when I had a question. In the long run guess I shouldn't worry about 1-2 thousand dollars.

/ Picking your dealer #10  
1-2000 is no big deal?

Can I sell you something too?

Seriously, the machines are all good. My "opinion" is that the K brand is just a nose better -- but that's because I chose it over the J brand!

I would ask the dealer (or better the owner) about who would be doing the tractor prep, and especially what they will be doing when you pick up the machine. Will they show you every function? Show you where each drain, fill, filter and dip stick are located? Attach and detach a mower or box blade or ? Attach / detach the FEL? Swap buckets if it has a quick attach ? Ask what they will do if there is a warranty problem. Will they come out and work on it? pick it up? will they charge for that? make you bring it?

I have had very little interaction with the dealer as the machine has been very good. Plus guys like "Messick" are on here and help. There are probably J and M guys that are here too. Unless the tractor has a major flaw, or you need to have the regular service done for you, my opinion is that the dealer factor is not as important as tractor feel to the owner. Then again, around here there are no really "bad" dealers - so maybe I'm spoiled?

jb