Pics of my new (to me) 1700 and some questions

/ Pics of my new (to me) 1700 and some questions
Lol, yeah I remember that! John is a friend that drove my 4 wheeler at wot along the river at night and forgot that the river turned in where it did, and he ended up "jumping" clear across to the other side! Fortunately the 4 wheeler was well balanced and it landed on all fours and John didn't bruise anything but his ego. As I recall, there might have been an adult beverage or two involved... :D

Yeah, on the erosion, I think the only fix would be to order in 50-100 tons of large boulders and drop them in. That would probably be somewhat pricey.

/ Pics of my new (to me) 1700 and some questions #92  
Yep, there were a couple of close calls on that 4 wheeler so you made the right decision to sell it. I remember when we both rode it a few time up the uber steep hill from the river to your house. Scary as **** and I would never do it again. Dunno why we do such dumb stuff when we were younger but it was fun.

Now, back to the topic at hand, what is the progress on that ROPS? I will just keep nagging you until you get it. If you have to, call the Fat Bastard. He is a guru on finding tractor parts. He can probably help you on the weights as well.
-Stu

/ Pics of my new (to me) 1700 and some questions #93  
Hey Peter!

You mentioned that the road down to the river is rough (was never very good in the first place). Is there any chance you could leverage your big a** tractor to cut a clean path down to it from behind your house. It is steep as h*ll but having a nice driveway down there would be huge.
-Stu

/ Pics of my new (to me) 1700 and some questions #94  
Well, I just texted the Fat Bastard and he will be calling later. So, Peter, better get that ROPS on there or else their will be two of us giving you sh*t.
-Stu

/ Pics of my new (to me) 1700 and some questions #95  
****, I have to brag. Sorry about mentioning my past accomplishments. The Fat Bastard and myself won the 1993 Car Audio Masters Invitational Tournament with his S-10 truck. Trust me folks, this was not easy. We had all kinds of tricks up our sleeves - the least of which were custom crossovers, a 100W amp that actuallly produced over 400W, noise gate, Alesis 32 band EQ modified for DC power, etc. Peter, I will get the Fat Bastard to chime in here.
-Stu

/ Pics of my new (to me) 1700 and some questions #96  
Lol, yeah I remember that! John is a friend that drove my 4 wheeler at wot along the river at night and forgot that the river turned in where it did, and he ended up "jumping" clear across to the other side! Fortunately the 4 wheeler was well balanced and it landed on all fours and John didn't bruise anything but his ego. As I recall, there might have been an adult beverage or two involved... :D

Yeah, on the erosion, I think the only fix would be to order in 50-100 tons of large boulders and drop them in. That would probably be somewhat pricey.

That's a nice secluded field. Do you own the other cleared field across from "John's Jump" as well?
It looks like that watershed might connect or be part of the one running behind the field to the rear of your mom's new place.

On the mower, that belt tension pulley arm has stuck on me before as well. You know its stuck when the belt starts to smoke:)
Another bad characteristic of that model that you might want to check on yours. On the heavy deck plate that the gearbox sets on look carefully
along the edges of the 90 degree roll down a few inches behind the gear box. What may look just like a line in the paint or dirt is where a crack
develops, usually on both sides. I never noticed it but my equipment dealer was here delivering another toy and he pointed it out and said I should weld it before it gets
longer. I ground the paint off and it is definitely cracked. Haven't welded it yet, but it is on my list for "DO SOON"
Let me know if yours is cracked too? He said most of them crack at the same place.

I see the advertisers are picking words like "mower" that folks put in their posts, again. It was in yours too.
Ron

/ Pics of my new (to me) 1700 and some questions #97  
That's a nice secluded field. Do you own the other cleared field across from "John's Jump" as well?
It looks like that watershed might connect or be part of the one running behind the field to the rear of your mom's new place.
Ron

Since Peter has not responded, and I think I know the answer. Let me give it a shot. Peter owns the property down to 1/2 across the river and that is the "informal" boundary. having it erode like it has is just eating away on his property boundry slowly but surely. It is known as the ******** River which always bothers me because it is smaller than Chestnut Creek that ran on the property where I grew up. Yes, it is the same body of water that you see up the road on Peter's Mom's place.

That being said, I see Peter's potential motivation to fix it as he is just losing land slowly. Perhaps Peter can take some more pics of John's bluff, but the problem is that the river takes a wicked turn to the left (as seen in the photo). I am pretty sure that Peter has some pics of the river when it is raging after a rainstorm. IIRC, it was so high that it outshed the banks.
-Stu

/ Pics of my new (to me) 1700 and some questions
Yup, the river will swell up a good 10 feet from time to time. Here is one of those times:

overflow1.jpg

overflow2.jpg

road.jpg

south.jpg

They say it's a 100 year flood plane, but my experience after living here for almost 15, is that its more like a 4 year flood plane. :D

Ron, I'll be sure to check those welds and let you know.

/ Pics of my new (to me) 1700 and some questions #99  
Wow, I had never seen those pics until now. That is some serious flooding. Like I said, short of spending way to much money to attempt to fix it, just let mother nature run her course.
-Stu

/ Pics of my new (to me) 1700 and some questions #100  
Wow, I had never seen those pics until now. That is some serious flooding. Like I said, short of spending way to much money to attempt to fix it, just let mother nature run her course.
-Stu

You always have to be very careful when messing with watersheds. You can improve your banks but have claimed problems from it downstream or from big brother. Let nature make her changes. Has the island gotten smaller over the years or does it catch silt and get bigger?
Ron