Pictures of our new deck

/ Pictures of our new deck #1  

jinman

Rest in Peace
Tractor
NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee
Uh. . . Some assembly required.:rolleyes:

The crew was supposed to be here today to start, but because of Thanksgiving being tomorrow, they want to wait until Monday. I don't blame them. Thanksgiving and the days around it should be spent relaxing and enjoying family and football.

Say what you want about box stores, but Lowes gave me a 20% discount on materials and delivered them exactly on time as promised. I will let them know how pleased I am and that they can expect more business from me.

My sketch of a top view of the deck shows that we will have decks on three sides of our house when completed. I'm excited. I've wanted this for many years. I'll post more pictures next week as the deck is completed. The contractor told me to expect two days work and one day for final finish-up with a partial crew.

I created the BOM and ordered all materials. The crew will show up and build using my existing deck as a go-by with only slight modifications that I want done differently. I've calculated fasteners, Simpson brackets, flashings, and all dimensional lumber. I'm a bit anxious about all that, but I think every thing needed is here.

Attachments

• DeckMatlDlvry.jpg
    DeckMatlDlvry.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 238
  • Decks-Plan-2.jpg
    Decks-Plan-2.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 187
   / Pictures of our new deck #2  
I too love decks, looks like it will b e very nice when completed. Please keep us posted w/ pics on the finished product, good luck!!

/ Pictures of our new deck #3  
Jim,

Remember to designate a "Chiefs only" setting area!

mark

/ Pictures of our new deck
Jim,

Remember to designate a "Chiefs only" setting area!

mark

I guess in a way it's ALL Chiefs and guests. Beyond that, I think I'll be cool about it since my wife is paying the labor and that's more than the materials.:)

/ Pictures of our new deck #5  
Looks like a great place to sit out and enjoy! You know what they say about decks - they're guaranteed future employment for the carpenter that builds it!:D I have lots of future employment for carpenters here! :D:D

Well Ian, these aren't fancy decks, just functional. The treated wood and cedar seem to hold up really well here. I'm excited because with the deck, I can get up to the top of the 3-story south end of my house much easier to do my bi-annual staining. With the deck there, it should be a short ladder or scaffold climb. I know you like split-level houses from your link. Yours is quite beautiful. Mine is pretty much just a box on a hillside, but we like it.

/ Pictures of our new deck #7  
Nothing like seeing bundled wood ready to go. 20% !!! nice bonus

2 questions..
1. Is it covered by your homeowners insurance sitting there??
2. Will you be home or going outa town?? ...:D

/ Pictures of our new deck #8  
Going to look great. Always a cool side of the house to sit and enjoy being outside.

2 questions..
1. Is it covered by your homeowners insurance sitting there??
2. Will you be home or going outa town?? ...:D

Yes we're going out of town, but we'll leave our attack kitties to protect it.;):D

Ron, having a cool deck on hot summer afternoons is one of the big reasons to build it. Also, having another convenient entrance to the house on the east side by coming in my office door is going to be really handy. I hope you get to test it out this spring if you and Betty can make it by. This year has gone by so fast that it seems like only a few weeks ago that you and Betty were here.

/ Pictures of our new deck #10  
Nice to hear Lowe's is giving discounts. I wonder if it's a local thing, or if they are becomeing more contractor friendly. I've received discounts when buying from them, but it's hit or miss, and nowhere near 20%!!!!

On you diagram, when you say stringer, is that going to be a header type beam with two dimensional pieces of lumber and plywood between them? or a gluelam type beam? The 3 1/2 inch width has me confused. The run is short enogh that a gluelam would work, but it would have to be protected, or treated to withstand the elements.

I'm also curious about yoru post placement at the corner of the building, where the two new decks come together. It sort of looks like you have extneded the support beam past the post and cantelevered it out to where you will have to run your suports for the outside corner of the deck. If that post was lined up with the outside edge of the house, then you would have direct support for that beam and joists. If you can eliminate a cantelevered attachement for a main, load bearing beam, I would sure do so.

Eddie