Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Pictures of your snow weapons

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #1,571  
Theres a 6ft snow blower for the back, it doesnt really need chains it gets plenty of traction. The front axle has positive traction and there is a rear diff lock if you see it. Its got ballast in the tires so its got plenty of weight.

I was just messin' with ya, I know my JD's well ;)

I never use chains myself but I understand their need on small tractors that simply aren't heavy enough to grip. Any tractor that weighs over 2 tons can do without and yours weighs a lot more than that.

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #1,572  
Yeah its about 8k, the guy down the street had a JD 420 with snowplow up front, he would sit there and spin. The 484 goes through the snow really well too. You can drive through about 2ft without a problem.

DSC005075-1.jpg

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #1,573  
Yeah its about 8k, the guy down the street had a JD 420 with snowplow up front, he would sit there and spin. The 484 goes through the snow really well too. You can drive through about 2ft without a problem.

DSC005075-1.jpg

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #1,574  
On wet ice having more weight makes it worse not better. Add in some sloped groung and your going for a ride. On seventy acres I haven't got enough level ground to set up a poker table so chains are a must. These are good.
icechains_zpscf915f05.jpg

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #1,575  
On wet ice having more weight makes it worse not better.

You're right and that's why I avoid wet ice :D

Seriously though, there are situations where chains are required but generally speaking it is not the case in commercial snow removal. Another reason, chains are now illegal on many public roads in my state and as a result heavy equipment that requires chains has to be hauled to site on a trailer.

Back to wet ice. It does happen from time to time that I get stuck spinning all 4's. That's why most tractors used for snow removal up here (including both of mine) have winches. Those who don't often claim their bucket rocking skills can bail them out of any slippery situation but I have my doubts about a method that requires more shoveling, sanding and cussing than sitting in the cozy cab.

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #1,576  
On wet ice having more weight makes it worse not better.

You're right and that's why I avoid wet ice :D

Seriously though, there are situations where chains are required but generally speaking it is not the case in commercial snow removal. Another reason, chains are now illegal on many public roads in my state and as a result heavy equipment that requires chains has to be hauled to site on a trailer.

Back to wet ice. It does happen from time to time that I get stuck spinning all 4's. That's why most tractors used for snow removal up here (including both of mine) have winches. Those who don't often claim their bucket rocking skills can bail them out of any slippery situation but I have my doubts about a method that requires more shoveling, sanding and cussing than sitting in the cozy cab.

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #1,577  
The 484 goes through the snow really well too. You can drive through about 2ft without a problem.

Ah the quintessential 50 hp AG tractor, love it! :thumbsup:

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #1,578  
On wet ice having more weight makes it worse not better. Add in some sloped groung and your going for a ride. On seventy acres I haven't got enough level ground to set up a poker table so chains are a must. These are good.
icechains_zpscf915f05.jpg

I bet those things will grip ice. We don't have a lot of issues with ice except on the road where the snow gets packed and the tractors don't go on the road much. The only times they do is when someone did a nose dive into the ditch. It managed to pull everyone out so far.

Ah the quintessential 50 hp AG tractor, love it! :thumbsup:

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #1,580  
I bet those things will grip ice. We don't have a lot of issues with ice except on the road where the snow gets packed and the tractors don't go on the road much. The only times they do is when someone did a nose dive into the ditch. It managed to pull everyone out so far.
OH they sure do. I plow and maintain a half mile of private road that has a twelve percent grade hill in the middle of it. A few weeks ago I pulled a loaded U-Haul truck weighing some 15,000 up that hill with the driver of the truck not helping much if at all. Hardly spun a rear tire. Love the tractor and the chains.