PIG!

/ PIG! #11  
jinman said:
Was browsing through my critter-cam pictures this last weekend and suddenly realized we have a new visitor to our feeder. DANG!:mad: This is the first time I've seen a feral pig on my place, ever. Unless this is another neighbor's pig that got out of it's pen, I may just be doing some early evening hunting. I think if it was a domestic pig, it would have come out in the daylight instead of waiting just until after dark. This timeframe makes me think this is a wild pig.

My wife talked to the game warden yesterday. She (the game warden is a woman) said that pigs are free game that don't even require a hunting license to shoot. They are such a problem, all rules are off.

Jim, it looks like a feral hog. If you have one, there are sure to be others. Last time I checked, you did need a license but there was no season and no limit. You're right though, their numbers have exploded to the point where they may have changed the rules. Me personally, I see them, I shoot them and I say nothing, just in case. If you've never experienced it, the damage they can do is amazing. A herd of them can tear up more ground in a night than I can in 4 hours with a 2-bottom plow. It's unbelievable.

/ PIG!
Iron Horse said:
When i saw the thumnail of the glowing figure i thought you had taken a photo of a bloody Alien .

My feeder has a fence charger sitting on top with wires going down to the basket around the spinner. I used fence insulators to insulate the hot wire around the basket from the ground wire. When squirrels reach in to get corn off the spinner, they get a surprise.:eek: :D I call it my Franken-feeder. It does look like an alien, doesn't it?:)

/ PIG!
CurlyDave said:
My lifetime accomplishment is that I have taken five with a knife.

Check your fingers. . . . Are they all there?:eek: ;)

I've seen the way domestic pigs can bite. I don't want any part of sneaking up on a feral hog with a knife. I'm not into catfish noodlin' either.

Dave, you obviously had an adventurous past. I salute you, but I guarantee you that your 5-hog record will not be challenged by me.:rolleyes:

/ PIG! #14  
I don't understand what they problem with him is -- why not just let him live and enjoy watching his visits on the camera?

/ PIG! #15  
Check your fingers. . . . Are they all there?

I have been bitten twice -- but not seriously.

I have gotten too old for another one that way, all future pigs are rifle only. I haven't seen any in southern Oregon yet.

/ PIG! #16  
eric and his rtv said:
I don't understand what they problem with him is -- why not just let him live and enjoy watching his visits on the camera?

Eric,

Hogs are non-native species that do terrible damage to the habitat. They breed about twice a year and there numbers can double almost yearly. Once established in an area, they are impossible to get rid of. For farmers, they can cause thousands of dollars in damage. For ranchers, they will destroy a pasture by digging up the ground. I've lost trees to them digging up around the rootball of some oaks. I've had areas of pasture that were turned into huge dirt clods. They will even dig out flower gardens next to homes. I killed one sow 25 feet from my front door!!! They will become fairly bold if left alone.

Unlike deer, or any other big game species, these are pests that just happen to taste good. They eat just about everything out there, so the other species are left with what's left after they have finished. Once mature, they have no preditors that can control their populations. Lions and coyotes won't mess with a mature hog, and getting a piglet away from it's mother is extremly rare and dificult. Momma hog will attack anything that threatens her babbies, and she's very good at it!!!!

Hogs are at the top of the food chain, and where there's one, there's always allot more. Jim has seen just the tip of the iceberg. That hog has parents somwhere, but also lots of brothers and sisters. In a year, he'll probaby have them all visiting him too!!!!

We don't kill every one we see. Usually if it's raining out, muddy out or we have a freezer full of meat, we just let them be. We've sat out and watched them feed and tear up our land for the simple enjoyment of it. Hogs are very vocal and aggressive towards each other. In a head of 20 to 30, there will always be at least two or more that are fighting over something. You can hear them easily from 200 yards away, and the kids just laugh like crazy when it happens.

In some areas around here, it's not uncommon for a trapper to set up a large trap and catch two dozen in a night. That doesn't put a dent in the populations, but something has to be done to cut down on the damage they cause. Once you have a field destroyed by them, you will wish that you shot every one that you could have.

Eddie

/ PIG! #17  
CurlyDave said:

Wow, Dave, that's impressive. I guess they were a bit smaller than Eddie's
pigs?

Around here, the big pests are peacocks, and even some neighbors originally
opposed to killing them, now do so whenever they can. Like deer, they
are cute until they become pests on your own land.

/ PIG! #18  
Jinman, you have to get them trained to root up and till next years garden plot.:D :D

Up here in the frozen North wild hogs just don't exist!:D :D

Or maybe get set up for "Wild Hog Jerky" ?:D :D :D

/ PIG! #19  
The biggest one was about 250 lbs. The rest were 150-200.

Hunting with dogs, you don't get to choose which pig to take. Once the dogs get on its trail, that is the one you are going to kill.

The guide gets peeved if you let the pig tear up his dogs too much. I did not want to be on Tim's bad side.

/ PIG! #20  
CurlyDave said:

Maybe another 4 or 5 with a rifle, but that is a lot easier.

I gave up on the knife when i turned 50...

(There is a trick to it, I used to go with a guide who had dogs. The dogs stop the pig while you run up & stab it. It is best to wait until a dog on the opposite side bites it and distracts its attention while you stab it.)

When my Grampa was still alive, he had a friend down in Florida who owned an orange orchard. They would get hogs rooting up around the trees so they had to be taken care of. The owners son had a pack of coonhounds that he had trained just for that task. The dogs were kept in the dark for a day or so before the hunt. Come night time the dogs were sent out after a hog. They would latch on to the hog and hold it down (somewhat) and he would slip up behind them and finish them with a carpet knife. I was able to go out once with them and I have to say that was one of the coolest hunts I have ever been on. It brings hunting right back to its simplest form. Don't know if I'd have the clockweights to walk up behind a hog and take it down though.