Pioneer Female Coupling Failure? Poppet & pieces?

/ Pioneer Female Coupling Failure? Poppet & pieces? #1  

LodiCal

Tractor
John Deere D130, 790 & 5103 (1968 Massey Ferguson 135 - sold)
I have searched this forum and the WWW and I have not been able to find anything like this. Is this a rare event?

We have never disconnected the lines and we have had this JD 790 with bucket & scraper for about 12 years - second owners. I was not driving the tractor when this happened but as far as I know, there was no warning and the bucket got stuck in the upright position. As stated, bucket is stuck in the up position and does not raise anymore and appears to be at maximum height and it does not lower. The bucket itself rolls back and forth. As far as the pieces, I was working on gravel and after I removed the coupler, I found these pieces and then ran a magnet over the area and I could not find anything else. I am guessing that one of these pieces could be from something else but I am not certain as I was not able to find a schematic for the coupler. Perhaps as important, am I missing any pieces?

Is this as simple as changing out the coupler or do I need to worry that there are other pieces somewhere in the hose/line? Any idea why this coupler would fail?

Thank you.

jdfemalepoppetheic Medium.jpeg

jdpiecesheic Medium.jpeg

jdvalebank Medium.jpeg

jdsideview Medium.jpeg

Attachments

• jdvalebank.jpg
    jdvalebank.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 49
   / Pioneer Female Coupling Failure? Poppet & pieces? #2  
I have searched this forum and the WWW and I have not been able to find anything like this. Is this a rare event?

We have never disconnected the lines and we have had this JD 790 with bucket & scraper for about 12 years - second owners. I was not driving the tractor when this happened but as far as I know, there was no warning and the bucket got stuck in the upright position. As stated, bucket is stuck in the up position and does not raise anymore and appears to be at maximum height and it does not lower. The bucket itself rolls back and forth. As far as the pieces, I was working on gravel and after I removed the coupler, I found these pieces and then ran a magnet over the area and I could not find anything else. I am guessing that one of these pieces could be from something else but I am not certain as I was not able to find a schematic for the coupler. Perhaps as important, am I missing any pieces?

Is this as simple as changing out the coupler or do I need to worry that there are other pieces somewhere in the hose/line? Any idea why this coupler would fail?

Thank you.

View attachment 820306

View attachment 820305

View attachment 820308

View attachment 820309
Hi and from the pictures, the Quick Disconnect failed due to being hit and then releasing the connector to the hose to the front-end loader. the picture shows it is the Yellow or #2 going to the curel function of the bucket. when you remove the connector from the tractor and disconnect from the metal pipe going to the joystick. JD Parts and a pocket of money can get a replacement. Joking but not really. Just spent 85 bucks for "0" rings for the loader cylinder. then 40 bucks for mechanics to install the seals. ken

/ Pioneer Female Coupling Failure? Poppet & pieces? #3  
Lodi
That is not a common failure but it does happen where the poppet retainer isn’t seated properly and fails over a period of time. It looks like you have all the pieces so would replace that end and go back to using the tractor.

/ Pioneer Female Coupling Failure? Poppet & pieces?
Thank you for the replies.

There is no part number on this side of the coupler. Went to 4 AG stores and none of them had this fitting. Looked on-line and it appears that this coupler is not to much more expensive from the dealership so I will head there Monday. For anyone coming across this post, part #AM102487
Male end is stamped: NV 14 - 38SAE M
Weblinks - search:

Shop.Deere.Com | Shop genuine John Deere parts & merchandise (enter tractor serial number)

790 Compact Utility Tractor - PC2732

JD790HydLegend.png

JD790HydDiagram.png

This is the male end that the coupler attaches. Note the o'ring. The couplers that were on hand at the AG stores were all NPT.

IMG_4365 Medium.jpeg

/ Pioneer Female Coupling Failure? Poppet & pieces? #5  
Thank you for the replies.

There is no part number on this side of the coupler. Went to 4 AG stores and none of them had this fitting. Looked on-line and it appears that this coupler is not to much more expensive from the dealership so I will head there Monday. For anyone coming across this post, part #AM102487
Male end is stamped: NV 14 - 38SAE M
Weblinks - search:

Shop.Deere.Com | Shop genuine John Deere parts & merchandise (enter tractor serial number)

790 Compact Utility Tractor - PC2732

View attachment 820417

View attachment 820416
This is the male end that the coupler attaches. Note the o'ring. The couplers that were on hand at the AG stores were all NPT.

View attachment 820424
Just ran into one of these where the dealer tried to install a coupler with a pipe thread onto an ORB thread like that pictured. Had to find a replacement as Deere didn’t have.
They are Faster couplers:

Faster
NV 14-38SAE F​

Hydraulic Socket - Steel Body Material, Poppet Valve, 3/8 in ORB, 9/16 – 18 SAE Female Thread, 5076 psi psi, 1/4 in Body Size, Buna-N Seal

Not many hydraulic or parts houses carry though.
Only cross reference is a Stucchi F.IR 14V 38 SAE

Great information TractorTech. Thank you. They appear to be half the price of the dealer as well. The only thing that I am not able to discern from their website is if their coupler has a "notch" for a snap ring that secures it to the support. The photo of the coupler body I provided does not show the notch. I just realized that the diagram I provided above is for an earlier model. The diagram for the model I have is below.

Thanks again for the information.

JDDiagramMount.png

Deere dealer is out of the way for me and I found the coupler on Amazon. On Sunday I placed the order. I called them on Monday just to make sure everything was ok. Folks at Hartville Hardware could not have been nicer. I was told that they received my order and that it would be fulfilled that day. OEM part arrived a few days later and the tractor is back in service. A very odd "break" but easily remedied. Thanks again to everyone who assisted.

IMG_4469 Medium.jpeg