Mowing Pipeline / Utility Right of Way Pricing

/ Pipeline / Utility Right of Way Pricing
The contact has a six month window to complete the 6000 acres. It also requires "hand trimming" fences and obstructions...likes the signs in the row as well as replacing signs as required. Any areas up to one half mile long that has to be "reclaimed" is left alone and not deducted from bid, over that they adjust or subtract money for contract value. That work is the contracted to someone with that equipment. Same with downed trees. I have the equipment for that so I thought that may be a selling point to the utility...yeah I'll charge extra but I am already there so there is a savings to them and an extra income to me.
As to the milage.. I may be off base here but 6000 acres is 6000 acres no real difference if it is square or 100 foot by a......uh. ..... Longways. I do get that narrower will take some time more due to obsticals...gates and such. Pleas tell me if I am missing something as I can't see it adding more than 20% to the total time.

Also, no one has had any input as to cost per acre averages. Like is 15-30 a good window or is this service usually more in the 35-50 range. I honestly have no idea. As I sai earlier I have a good idea of what it will cost me to do the work but what do companies pay for the service. Just like y'all I don't want to gouge but I certainly don't want to lose money or be the guy "undercutting everyone" which hurts the market.

/ Pipeline / Utility Right of Way Pricing
Guys thanks for all this feed back. I guess I can also ask....what's the best tractor and bat wing for this. I been stuck on kubota. ......... Let the shameless brand loyalty displays begin LOL

/ Pipeline / Utility Right of Way Pricing #23  
first i would not get a mulcher way too slow. for 4 men i would get a tractor with a 15 foot bush hog . and either a tractor with a brown tree cutter or a ctl with a bush hog. it will take the other 2 men cleaning to keep up. now i have a lot right of ways across my property. i can not keep you off the right of way ,but i do not have to let you cross my other property to get to the right of way . if you tear up my fence or damage pasture or crops you are liable. now i have collected a lot money for damages over the years. i am always notified before anything major is done. you do not do that the company you work for will. all you got to do too keep me happy is if you cut a wire on a fence put it back together.

/ Pipeline / Utility Right of Way Pricing #24  
Google Maps Area Calculator Tool

Here is a tool that will allow you to calculate the area you are bidding on. I really don't have an answer for you on price per acre but I wish you luck! Keep this thread updated if you win the bid.

/ Pipeline / Utility Right of Way Pricing #25  
The contact has a six month window to complete the 6000 acres. It also requires "hand trimming" fences and obstructions...likes the signs in the row as well as replacing signs as required. Any areas up to one half mile long that has to be "reclaimed" is left alone and not deducted from bid, over that they adjust or subtract money for contract value. That work is the contracted to someone with that equipment. Same with downed trees. I have the equipment for that so I thought that may be a selling point to the utility...yeah I'll charge extra but I am already there so there is a savings to them and an extra income to me.
As to the milage.. I may be off base here but 6000 acres is 6000 acres no real difference if it is square or 100 foot by a......uh. ..... Longways. I do get that narrower will take some time more due to obsticals...gates and such. Pleas tell me if I am missing something as I can't see it adding more than 20% to the total time.

Also, no one has had any input as to cost per acre averages. Like is 15-30 a good window or is this service usually more in the 35-50 range. I honestly have no idea. As I sai earlier I have a good idea of what it will cost me to do the work but what do companies pay for the service. Just like y'all I don't want to gouge but I certainly don't want to lose money or be the guy "undercutting everyone" which hurts the market.

No one on here has been provided enough information to provide you with a cost per acre. You will have to do your homework on this to figure it out.

How long is this pipeline you want to bid? If very long and narrow I would spend the money to fly over it in a small plane to get some idea of what you are up against. Maps, very important to go over to determine problem areas. You need to see these problem areas to know how to bid them and to know whether you can do it.

Square versus rectangular shape, there can be a huge difference in cost operating within 10 miles of your base and working 750 miles from your base. What is the cost of lodging and meals along the path if you are away from home? The cost for a support vehicle goes up too if a long way from home. Thinking there is only about a 20% difference in costs tells me you need to do your homework. Employees working away from home can be a pain in the azzz. BTDT.

You really have to dive into this and spend the time to come up with an accurate estimate of your costs and put the foot work in to this. Blindly going into this could wreck you financially and may be hard to recover from.

/ Pipeline / Utility Right of Way Pricing #26  
In north central oklahoma guys are charging $60 to $80 dollars an hour and up for brush hogging pastures. One to two acres a hour with 5 and 6 ft brush hogs on heavier growth. I have a bit of a hard time thinking you could do anything cheaper when you figure in the cost of your heavier duty equipment and all the extras your going to have to deal with. I realize your going to use large batwings etc but still...........
Friend had a estimate recently for about 24 acres of modest cedar cover with 6 inch trunk range at $2000 a day and 8 to 10 hours was the estimate of time needed. Operater was using a front mount rotary unit of some kind and said he could just set it on top of the cedars and lower the unit and shred the tree. No chippers needed afterword. The math on that is in the $80 to $85 acres range.
I would think about your cost for the bad areas of the job and bid the whole thing based on that price range and a bit less for easy areas. Not bid it as the "normal" area and the heavy areas cost more.
Access, sign issues, fences, livestock, land owners, people who just are nosy and concerned about the environment, weather, equipment failure, lodging, transport, fuel, etc.
Your likely to loose some time and have to deal with the hassles due to staff needing replaced
What about state and federal EPA stuff on hydraulic leaks or creek crossing or wet land issues.
INSURANCE for the equipment and separate for the labors that covers such work in several states. Seems your going to need a paper work person that can handle these insurance and payroll issues so thats one more item to figure in.
Slow pay from your customer and whatever paper work their going to want that no one has told you about yet.
You personally will likely be spending quite a bit of time running errands so to speak and not running equipment.
One more thing, your not going to get 8 hours of work out of a 8 hour work day, 5 actual hours of productive work mowing and cutting in that 8 hours of the clock running would probably be in the ball park.

/ Pipeline / Utility Right of Way Pricing #27  
No apartment owner has access without notice, anywhere. 24 to 48 hours notice is legally required.

Also, you need to figure in damage. Not all the bushogs will get through it without damage.

You have:

Cost of equipment
fuel
oil
maintenance (filters, lines, etc.)
lodging / food / transport for the drivers (per doem)
direct labor cost
fringe cost (insurance, vacation, medical, dental, etc ... if applicable)
damage-to-equipment cost and time. Will your bushog survive hitting a concrect block? Or an old concreate power pole foundation that is overgrown so you can't see it?
transport cost
cost to property-owner finces (bound to happen)
Delay when someone quits (bound to happen)
tires / roadside service (probably need one more tractor than if all are working productively)
Transport HOME when done
Pay for time to bill the customer in the end
unexpected expenses (WILL happen)
cost of TRACKING the progress / billing by office personnel (someone BETTER track it!, real time!) Includes computers and printers / paper / people to DO it, too!

Hope nobody operating the equipment gets INJURED! That gets expensive quickly.

I'm sure I missed some stuff ...

Hope your people don't kill a beloved pet along the way accidentally, say a state champion Irish Wolfhound or the like ... litigation is expensive!

Good luck!

Last edited:
   / Pipeline / Utility Right of Way Pricing #28  
I have a 5100e Deere with a mx15. Mows great and is one of the more common highway mowing rigs. For you, I'd look into the 6d series, no loader and the cx15 shredder. Buy the trans with the extra gears. Should be a 24/12. That's what I have and we love it. Will probably need atleast two tractors set up like this. Depending on the terrain, they might need to be shielded. There's so many variables, I agree with the guy that said rent a plane and see exactly what they are wanting done

Brett

/ Pipeline / Utility Right of Way Pricing #29  
If I were the contractor, I would have called the sheriff myself. ROW permission is just that, you don't have to be notified in advance of anything. Any surface damage to your property might be paid for, but you cant refuse entry by the pipeline /electric/water etc company to suit your notion at the time or require written notification of entry. Yes, you could have called the sheriff but likely you would have been arrested, not the contractor. Legally, the ROW is no longer your property but has been leased to company xxxx, although most companies let the land owner use it for pasture, farming etc. but should they need to access it, any damage to crops is usually not recoverable by the lessee. The lease holder (company) has rights same as any other lease holder ( think apartment dweller)to freely access their property at anytime without prior notice.
We deal with these sort of people all the time, a few weeks ago we had a pole to change out in the ROW that was in front of this lady's house she came out furious that no one notified her that we were coming, I explained to her that we were in the ROW and we would not enter her property and we would not have her lights off, that wasn't good enough she was still very dissatisfied but that didn't stop the show, we worked this pole off of the public road but if we have to get to the ROW through someone's property I always attempt to make contact with them and always follow-up on any damages and make repairs to ruts etc, but I have still had the law called on me plenty of times, but like you said they have always let the owners know that we had the right to access and maintain our facilities.

/ Pipeline / Utility Right of Way Pricing #30  
before you bid and lose everything you need to take a week and check the (row) it might not be as easy as pulling a batwing up and down a couple of times. and be sure and check on insurance and if it requires any kind of bond. if it is grown up with any trees tires will also be an issue. I'm not trying to bust your bubble but you are taking a big risk for first job